Moving trashed logs

K7G

Equipment
L2501HST, LA526 w/ L2248, BB1260, RCR1860, EA Disc Harrow
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
We had our pines thinned last year and the 98% of the limbs and tops were mulched down by a forestry mulcher. In the pile of mulch, I have come across some small logs and limbs that are slightly too large to move by hand but child’s play for a tractor.

My personal dump in on the back of our property - probably 550 ft away. This may be a dumb question but, I don’t know what I don’t know so……

Can I put a shackle on the drawbar and drag them safely to the dump with a chain and choker cable? It’s probably no more than five or six pieces that the mulcher covered in the process of mulching the rest.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don’t think I would pull more than one at a time. I would worry about catching them on a rock or something and not being able to get it loose.

There would be no reason you wouldn’t be able to drag them as you described if there is no danger of them getting caught up on something that would stop the tractor suddenly.

Reactions: 1 user

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
Thanks! I’ll go slow. Not much to catch them on!

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
i Also have an l2501 and do the same thing occasionally. my shackle barely fits the bar so I have to persuade it with a hammer though. If you find your moving logs a lot you may want to look into a 3pt logskidder. i Have been looking online for one for me but the designs are usually for one log only. They are relatively affordable as implements go, at least the ones out of china.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
NO! You need to tell your wife that you need a bigger tractor, to handle these MASSIVE logs, with a cab with a/c to protect you from the heat as you are slaving away to beautify the area for her. You will also NEED, a grapple/brush rake to go on the front, this way you can be protected from poisonous snakes and murderous rabbits. A 3pt implement of some form also to act as a counterweigh, will be a good idea also, to keep you save and protect the tractor. A new larger chain saw would also be a good idea. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Whether it is right or wrong I have been doing this for years. I lift the 3 pt just enough so the log does not dig in.

Reactions: 1 users

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
i Also have an l2501 and do the same thing occasionally. my shackle barely fits the bar so I have to persuade it with a hammer though. If you find your moving logs a lot you may want to look into a 3pt logskidder. i Have been looking online for one for me but the designs are usually for one log only. They are relatively affordable as implements go, at least the ones out of china.

Thanks, trying not to buy anything that won’t get heavily used.

Then again, my childhood home, built by my father, lost every tree at the 6’-8’ level when a tornado went over it. That acreage which was very similar to mine lost every single tree. In a weird way, I’m glad my parents aren’t around to see it. That would have broken the old man.

If we were to experience something similar, clean up will not be fun. Our home is almost dead center in the picture below. Something like you described might be handy. Or, my nephews and daughter can deal with a like-new, unused one when I’m gone. Lol

one option ...
cut them up into 'footlongs', haul in bucket then burn in your 'camp firepit'.
These aren’t fit to burn…buried too long!

Our area -

IMG_6579.jpeg

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
That method of moving multiple logs at one time has never worked well for me. They always seem to catch something, sepearte, and come out of the choker chain. I find that cutting them to manageable lengths and using pallet forks is the best way.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas

Then again, my childhood home, built by my father, lost every tree at the 6’-8’ level when a tornado went over it. That acreage which was very similar to mine lost every single tree. In a weird way, I’m glad my parents aren’t around to see it. That would have broken the old man.

If we were to experience something similar, clean up will not be fun. Our home is almost dead center in the picture below. Something like you described might be handy. Or, my nephews and daughter can deal with a like-new, unused one when I’m gone. Lol

Our area -

View attachment 107356
Looks like you live right in the middle of a bunch of 'Planted Pines'?

A 'grapple' might be useless in those conditions.....so 'skidding' as you allude to is the best option. Give it a shot. Go slow....be careful.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Leave them there where they are, and in a couple of years, they will have rotted away.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I hauled logs, heck, entire trees like this around my property for 17 yrs with my 18HP TG1860 lawn mower (garden tractor?) 🚜 before I ever bought my H-U-G-E BX2380.

If I needed to haul tiny 8' logs only 550' today, I'd just pick them up one (or 2?) at a time with the pallet forks and transport. :poop: No tearing up the yard.

But, I do agree....a larger tractor with A/C and cab are much better, heh heh :rolleyes:

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan

Our area -

View attachment 107356
Completely understand holding off on buying occasional use stuff. when your pulling see if you can put a piece of plastic or metal under where the choker chain is on the log, as it helps not to rip up stuff as bad.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have done this very thing a number of times. 40-50' sections of pine. The only thing is that sometimes the end will plow in. Just keep an eye on it.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I'm sure your method will work fine but I prefer to cut up and haul with my pallet forks.

If you have forks this is an option. I try to keep my burn pile to about 10' around, trees longer stick out and it is a pain to round the pile up as it burns with trees sticking out of the pile and it is hot as well.

For me just easier all the way around to cut and haul then to burn.

best of luck

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
No problem. A gully is a wonderful thing. We have tons of trees and brush per year. Piled into a gully. I would think it would take forever but surprisingly quick how it digests them. Better than burning. Home to many woodland animals. Valuable asset to the farm.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
We had our pines thinned last year and the 98% of the limbs and tops were mulched down by a forestry mulcher. In the pile of mulch, I have come across some small logs and limbs that are slightly too large to move by hand but child’s play for a tractor.

My personal dump in on the back of our property - probably 550 ft away. This may be a dumb question but, I don’t know what I don’t know so……

Can I put a shackle on the drawbar and drag them safely to the dump with a chain and choker cable? It’s probably no more than five or six pieces that the mulcher covered in the process of mulching the rest.
If there are only a handful do the first 2 solo then you can decide how to handle the others. Please put a damper on the tow line if you are pulling...just in case it snaps.