Moving Stone

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
Has anyone had experience with moving large stone for building walls? I tried to move one of my smaller ones today with the B1750 front end loader and found it was too big to lift.
I have heard of using "stone boats". Does anyone have experience with them or plans to build one?

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
This is why I have a scoop for the 3pt. The 3pt will lift more than a frontend loader. You can have it facing the rear and back into loose dirt or turn it around and dig dirt that a fel won't touch. For lifting things I have a stinger for the 3pt. After using a backhoe I don't want a bucket hanging out in front of the tractor getting in the way.

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Hi Ed & RDR.
Welcome to the Kubota world~:D

Do you have the picture of "Scoop for 3Pt."?
I never seen one yet. so I really want to see it...! Please...!:eek:

and Have nice Kubota day~!
Joe.

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
This isn't a very good picture. It is still sitting on my truck after I got my $600 154 Leyland diesel here. I don't like the design as much as the one I borrow, but it came with the tractor. It needs new pins. The way it is facing is if you wanted to back into whatever it is you want to fill it with. It can be turned around to fill with dirt pullling forward. As it fills it puts more weight on the tractor giving better traction. It is a simple rope to dump. When empty it flips back up and locks. To adjust how much you want to dig you lengthen or shorten the top link. Very simple. They have this design at Tractor Supply. (TSC)

The other picture in the link in this thread looks expensive and complicated. It looks like it only works backing upl

Attachments

Last edited:

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
I've been building a rock wall with 3.5 foot rocks and my little 8200...well almost. It wont even roll those things! For now I have an old Ford with a loader and I get on the front edges of the rocks with both machines and just go back and forth between tractors to tip the rocks into position. It's a little time consuming, but it works, and is cheaper than renting a big machine to do it.

That 3pt scoop is very interesting!

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
Do you have a picture of your wall? I too have big stones that the machine won't pick up but will push around. I want to move them 400 feet up hill, dig back a bank, and build a wall.

Jlillie

Equipment
B7300/backhoe-RTV900-G6200H-K008-3 :non orange:Takeuchi TB25
Oct 20, 2009
Williamstown, MA, USA
Has anyone had experience with moving large stone for building walls? I tried to move one of my smaller ones today with the B1750 front end loader and found it was too big to lift.
I have heard of using "stone boats". Does anyone have experience with them or plans to build one?
Before I bought the machine I have now, I used to use an old truck hood, behind my old ford.
I flipped it, attached a chain, and used that to drag the stones. So you can use your loader to roll the stones onto the stone boat, and if the hood is fairly flat, it will actually drag pretty well, and the ground resistance will keep it from
passing you on a slope.

rshiverd

Equipment
BX 25
Oct 28, 2009
Dayton, Ohio, USA
Hello,

Glad to here there is other guys getting their rocks off. I move a lot of mostly cut limestone for walls and such in my neighborhood. For the really large stuff I find it easier to roll them up on a drag or as my grandpa called them a sled. I made mine out of 1" plywood 6" long and 2" wide with runners made of 4x4s and cut with an angle so it rides over the soil. I attached a chain to the front and use another smaller 14HP WH to pull it
after I roll the rocks on with the frontend loader on my Kubota. During past times it was quite common to have a horse drawn sled/drag to carry tools out as well as to move the rocks after getting them dug from the field.