Moving Round/square

mwe060

Equipment
BX 2370-1 60'MMM FEL R4
Nov 19, 2014
Little Rock, AR
Hey all,

Quick question.
I am pruchasing an Bx2370-1 soon (friday)

My mother is looking into one as well.

The question is, Will this tractor move a round bale with a spear for the 3 point hitch? The hay should way around 600 to 900 pounds on average. We would only be moving them after they are deliverd and only around 5 to 10 a year on Smooth land. From the barn to the drop area is about 150 feet.

She likes this size tractor and it fits her land well. She also moves Square bales around 200 to 500 a year about same distance as the rounds.
What would be the best option for that? I know this tractor can easily handle them.

Thanks for the help

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
. . . The question is, Will this tractor move a round bale with a spear for the 3 point hitch? The hay should way around 600 to 900 pounds on average.
3-Point Hitch:

Rear lift (at ends):992 lbs [449 kg]
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm):680 lbs [308 kg]

You will be exceeding the limit of the hitch, not including the weight of the bail spear and associated hardware.

mwe060

Equipment
BX 2370-1 60'MMM FEL R4
Nov 19, 2014
Little Rock, AR
I am new to tractors and some of their limbo.

What does
Rear lift (at ends):992 lbs [449 kg]
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm):680 lbs [308 kg]
Equate to? Not sure what that means. Is the ends at the hydraulics and 24" at the end of the hitch?

Sorry learning new stuff.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The easiest way to think of it is that your tractor is an over-glorified lever that can move itself around.

Like any lever, it breaks at certain load limits. The further away from the pivot point, the weaker the lever gets but the more leverage movement it has (an evil plot I tell you!). The closer to the pivot point, the more weight it can lift and the stronger the lever is but the less actual movement it has.

So reading those specifications:

Right at the mount eye's point of the 3 point hitch lower arms, you have 992lbs of lifting force available. A round bale weighs about 1000lbs so even if you could pick up an entire bale right by the eye mounts, you are already over spec.

24" out from the mount point, which is about where most implements actually run at, you have 680 lbs of lifting heft available, so you can pick up a 680 implement or total load out at two feet beyond your 3 point.

A bale spear isn't light weight and it will be picking up a bale at least 5 feet out from your mount point (the end of the bale). So, not only is the bale too heavy at the mount points, it's REALLY too heavy if you consider the weight out 5 feet from them.

So, a solution for you is to get a low bed trailer and roll a bale or two up on it and tow it out with the tractor. It should be able to move at least one bale, two might be pushing it. You could then roll the bale off, break up and distribute the bale with the tractor. However, lifting it directly is not possible.

Square bales... go to town, can handle them all day.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
MWE060, I wouldn't even think about trying to move round bales with a BX.

My L3000 is rated at 1985 lbs @ lift ends and every now and then I'll still have a bale that it doesn't want to pick up. I have had some that it won't pick up no matter what. The bales are lighter than my limit but when it's hanging off the back 4' they get heavy in a hurry.

Just guessing but I bet if it did ever pick one up you couldn't keep the front end on the ground.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The easiest way to think of it is that your tractor is an over-glorified lever that can move itself around.

Like any lever, it breaks at certain load limits. The further away from the pivot point, the weaker the lever gets but the more leverage movement it has (an evil plot I tell you!). The closer to the pivot point, the more weight it can lift and the stronger the lever is but the less actual movement it has.

So reading those specifications:

Right at the mount eye's point of the 3 point hitch lower arms, you have 992lbs of lifting force available. A round bale weighs about 1000lbs so even if you could pick up an entire bale right by the eye mounts, you are already over spec.

24" out from the mount point, which is about where most implements actually run at, you have 680 lbs of lifting heft available, so you can pick up a 680 implement or total load out at two feet beyond your 3 point.

A bale spear isn't light weight and it will be picking up a bale at least 5 feet out from your mount point (the end of the bale). So, not only is the bale too heavy at the mount points, it's REALLY too heavy if you consider the weight out 5 feet from them.

So, a solution for you is to get a low bed trailer and roll a bale or two up on it and tow it out with the tractor. It should be able to move at least one bale, two might be pushing it. You could then roll the bale off, break up and distribute the bale with the tractor. However, lifting it directly is not possible.

Square bales... go to town, can handle them all day.
Shawn,

Damn fine job of 'splaining all of that !!!! ( insert ricky riccardo voice)

Lots of people misread all them thar good numbers!!! The farther out the less you can pick up, and few think about the weight of the spear - hell a real one of those weighs ......couple hundred pounds ! :D

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Shawn,

Damn fine job of 'splaining all of that !!!! ( insert ricky riccardo voice)

Lots of people misread all them thar good numbers!!! The farther out the less you can pick up, and few think about the weight of the spear - hell a real one of those weighs ......couple hundred pounds ! :D
Agree, great job splaining - better than I could. I did understand all thos gasintas.:cool:

mwe060

Equipment
BX 2370-1 60'MMM FEL R4
Nov 19, 2014
Little Rock, AR
Thanks for the explaining.

I think her only option is to get same tractor as me bx2370 and use a chain like we do with the truck and drag them wherever. Not enough land/room for bigger tractor nor the funds. Plus for only dozen or so round bales a year not worth it.

If it works still would be easier than fighting horses back to get the 1 ton in the field.

Need a device that clamps on both side of bale and rolls it like a wheel... Hmm guess I could design one.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What IMfoghorn suggested. Look on craig's list for something local. Pick them up for $500-$700. Only moving a dozen bales, it's not a big deal. Attach to your drawbar. Hand crank the bale up and move it, crank down and you're done. Not much weight on your tractor.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
The specifications that I listed in post #2 and what most have been talking about in this thread are for the bx2370. That tractor = Weight:1410 lbs.? ? ? You will have to ballast the rear tires, (have them filled), and hang weight on the front for better traction.

Make/buy a skid to put the bail on. Depending the minimum ascetic level you want, you can get an old car hood from a scrap yard and attach a chain to both corners of the hood and pull the bail on it. Not pretty but I have seen this done by several people.

mwe060

Equipment
BX 2370-1 60'MMM FEL R4
Nov 19, 2014
Little Rock, AR
Thanks for all the information.

I like that trailer for sure.
I have built a skid b4 and is fine just looking for a cleaner and easier method.

Mom is deffentily not getting any younger. Thinking 5-10 years down the road.

I'm to far away to help all the time too. So we will work it out.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.