Mouse + Fuel Lines = PITA

rkillcrazy

Equipment
B2650
Jan 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Here's a funny one for y'all... Not so funny for me but, you know what I mean.

I had been using my B2650 - regularly - without issue since I bought it in Fall of 2015. I parked it about two weeks ago and it sat there until yesterday. Upon using it, I smelled diesel. I figured I had spilled some during my last fill-up... Well, the smell wasn't getting any better with time. I started poking around and found a mouse had built a nest just under the hood next to the fuel cap. I started pulling its nest from little cavity next to the cap and saw (and smelled) more and more diesel-soaked debris. I finally found, deeper into that cavity, where the mouse had chewed the fuel line(s) in that area. This clearly explained the smell and the now-very-noticeable leak rolling down and onto the ground. It doesn't seem to leak after the engine stops running.

My questions revolve around replacing this tubing. I can't get a good look at it yet; I need to fully remove the hood in order to do so but I know I have at least one line chewed through. If there are more lines, I can't see them... Does anyone know how many lines are in this area? Does anyone know if these are return lines or feed lines? Does anyone have first-hand experience on replacing fuel lines like this? I'm pretty handy and do most of my own maintenance on my vehicles, motorcycles and the tractor; I just want to know what I'm getting into.

Update: I reached back there to feel anything I could. As near as I can tell, there's damage to two different "tubes" back in there. I'm not sure if there's a a tube and a wire or if there are two tubes. Side note, does anyone else hate the design of the hood? Such a pain to work under...

Last edited:

Swampcollie

Equipment
Mx5800, la1065 loader, rcf2772 mower, blade, disc
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
I dont know anything about your fuel lines, but did solve my mouse problem. Went to a classic car forum where guys have very exlensive cars. I ended up with a combo of moth balls in a zip lock bag with holes poked in bag and leaving my hood OPEN. Since doing this i have not had a sign of a mouse in the engine compartment.

rkillcrazy

Equipment
B2650
Jan 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
I dont know anything about your fuel lines, but did solve my mouse problem. Went to a classic car forum where guys have very exlensive cars. I ended up with a combo of moth balls in a zip lock bag with holes poked in bag and leaving my hood OPEN. Since doing this i have not had a sign of a mouse in the engine compartment.
We use mothballs in our cabin but the mice keep coming. I'll try your idea as well. However I won't be leaving my hood open as my tractor isn't barn-kept; I tarp it when it's not in use. :(

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I have mouse poison out in my tractor shed. I have also caught mice in mouse traps that were getting under the hood of the car. I set the trap on the battery and left the hood propped up a little......use peanut butter for bait.....they love it until the trap snaps....ha ha ha.:D

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I use a very simple, very efficient mouse trap in my shop. It is a plastic bucket with a brazing rod run through the middle cross wise at the top. Threaded onto the rod is an empty beer can (so it spins on the rod) I put peanut butter on the beer can, fill the bucket half way with water (plus antifreeze in the winter) and have a small board for a ramp leading up to the top edge of the bucket. they jump on the beer can and fall into the water. it catches mice like crazy, they drown and I toss them out. keeps on working.

M

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
My friend and neighbor took apart a good deal of his new 3900 digging out a mouse nest...we packed the cavity they nested in with steel wool.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I made one of those 5 gal. bucket mouse catchers a couple of years ago. When I came back to the barn the can was polished clean! I must have possoms and coons that like peanut butter, cause they sure didn't fall into the bucket.:D

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil or a product called Cab Fresh will deter rodents from nesting in farm equipment & buildings

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Just be sure you don't have dogs around. Anti-Freeze has a sweet smell/allure to dogs and, as I'm sure you know, is poison to them.

rkillcrazy

Equipment
B2650
Jan 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
I finally got a little time to take the hood off and get back in there for a better look. That little SOB got both lines! One got the worst of it but I'll end up replacing both lines.

1. Anyone know what size these lines normally are? It looks like the ID is about 1/8" or so.
  2. Anyone know if lines like these need to be of a certain type to prevent breakdown like with the ones used with gasoline engines?

b2650_fuel_lines_damage.jpg

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
I finally got a little time to take the hood off and get back in there for a better look. That little SOB got both lines! One got the worst of it but I'll end up replacing both lines.

1. Anyone know what size these lines normally are? It looks like the ID is about 1/8" or so.
  2. Anyone know if lines like these need to be of a certain type to prevent breakdown like with the ones used with gasoline engines?

View attachment 29070
You should be able to remove one of the lines and take it to the NAPA store. Ask for fuel line.

Way cheaper than buying the OEM stuff at the stealership.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I use an old ball bearing mouse trap.
He's gray and his name is scruffy Tom.

rkillcrazy

Equipment
B2650
Jan 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
You should be able to remove one of the lines and take it to the NAPA store. Ask for fuel line.

Way cheaper than buying the OEM stuff at the stealership.
Yeah, I cut a piece off and took it to Tractor Supply - which is all I have around here that comes close to selling stuff for farm equipment. Well, that was a waste of time. I had to head to the nearest auto parts store and they were clueless whether or not the lines they sold would work for diesel. I walked out of there with 6' of hose that has some of the reinforcing string-like stuff braided within the hose. We'll see how this works. The ID is good but, with the reinforced construction, the OD is slightly larger. Luckily, the spaces I'm running the tubing through isn't over tight.

cavjock23

Equipment
M6060,709 pull shredder, offset disk, Pallet forks, Box Blade
Apr 9, 2017
Houston, TX
Is that a shipping container? If so, what do they run these days - just out of curiosity?
Pricing fluctuates and follows the economy and steel prices closely. The closer you are to a port city really helps. it also depends how many middlemen are between you and the original seller of the container. There are lots of container brokers. The picture of the one I am using is a high cube 40 footer and I believe it cost me about 1800 several years ago. But please keep in mind I live in one of the largest port cities in the country and there are more containers within 50 miles of where I live than most parts of the country. In A lot of instances you will have more money tied up in freight than the the actual container. But I highly recommend them if you can swing it. A container will keep your tractor investment looking new forever.