More weights

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Eric - two things for you..

How about wrapping chains around just about anything that doesn't move at the front end? Or building a wooden box to attach to the front weights and fill it full of chain/scrap metal/sand...

As far as the weight you have already, you can estimate how much each plate ways (instead of taking them off to weigh them):
Measure the thickness (call that T) in inches
Measure the length (call that L) in inches
Measure the height (call that H) in inches [you can leave out the part above the handle where the hole is)

Multiply T times L times H and times 0.284 = weight in pounds

Multiply that by how many plates you have and you get the total weight.

Don't worry too much about how accurate you measure - be around a quarter inch in each dimension and it will be good enough.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I used it to fill my front tires with +/- 12 gallons of RV antifreeze/winshield washer fluid and it only took about an hour for both.
Why would you want just 12 lbs more in each tire?
And 24 gallons of RV antifreeze is pretty pricey too isn't it?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thanks for the formula Russell that's a starting point.

I don't think water in the ittybityy front tires would be of much use here, may gain a few pounds but doubtful it's enough for any significant improvement.

Maybe I'll just get some duct tape and tape the hell out of more weights.

Duct tape fixes everything right?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks for the formula Russell that's a starting point.

I don't think water in the ittybityy front tires would be of much use here, may gain a few pounds but doubtful it's enough for any significant improvement.

Maybe I'll just get some duct tape and tape the hell out of more weights.

Duct tape fixes everything right?
You might oughta jump up to the bailing wire for this one.....:D

Duct tape first , THEN the bailing wire ! :eek:

On another note, Eric - could you drape a rather large bag of sand across the weights you have for a temp solution? Low budget as all get out, burlap bag, 80# to 100# sand, lay it over the front end of weights you have ......take it off when you dont need it ! Just a low budget thought!

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Why would you want just 12 lbs more in each tire?
And 24 gallons of RV antifreeze is pretty pricey too isn't it?
12 gallons each tire, about 95 lbs each (97 lbs each tire with just water, I figure RV AF and WW fluid weigh a little less).

12 gallons RV AF and WW fluid total (6 gallons each), the rest was water.

RV AF was about $4 each gallon, the WW fluid about $3 each. I took all they had, hence that's what I put in each tire plus whatever water would go into each tire. We don't get much below 20 degrees around nor for very long; I should be gtg to at least that temp and maybe a bit lower.

Almost 200 lbs up front right in the tires is nothing to sneeze at.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I did make this discovery today. I never noticed I have three threaded bolt holes on each side of the bracket that holds the current weights on. They are plugged up with a plastic cap to protect the threads. There is a number 5012 on the side of the weights, not real sure what they mean if anything.

BEHOLD

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You could easily run a large diameter long all thread through the hole in the weight. Then put a 50 pound barbell plate on both sides and put two nuts outside the plates and pull all the weights up tight. You may have to space the barbell plates out to avoid the mounting bumper on the tractor.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I had thought of that but wasn't sure if threaded rod that small would hold 100lbs.

Next question where would I find bar bell weights??

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Check out yardsales, they are a good place to find cheep weights. People buy fitness equipment all time use it a short time then sell it cheep.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
February is the best time to find used weight sets :) failed new years resolutions;) ask some of your friends. They may have a set thats been sitting in the garage for years

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I had thought of that but wasn't sure if threaded rod that small would hold 100lbs.
Tightening the nuts will put tension in the stud, that will apply force to the sides of the weight, friction will kick in and hold up the weights, not much shear (dead down weight) will be applied to the stud.

On my weights the stud through them is over .5 inch diameter, possibly .75 inch in diameter, not really that small.

You can also get heat treated 4140 threaded rod which would be way stronger but not needed.

69Rebel

Equipment
B6000 MFWD, tiller, flail, box scraper.
Aug 3, 2014
SW WA
When I did the conversion from an old BX1800 to a ice resurfacer I simply modified the front bumper to carry more 55lbs weights. Ten to be exact and it did the job perfectly. Never any issues with axels either.

Seeing that sure makes me feel better about the backhoe I just installed on my B6000.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Filled tires and wheel weights, won't affect steering much and will give you your extra pounds.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Wellll that was a failed idea. I kept looking for barbell weights used and I only needed two and not an entire set. Hard to purchase just two weights.

But I suppose I lucked out as this areating season wasn't as hilly as last season. Gives me another 300 days to come up with something for 2015 LOL.

I need to plan for 2015 with a little extra weight up front and turf tires on the rear.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Eric- when I was looking for mine, these guys had lots of weights available, singly or pairs or whatever you wanted. I just happen to have (2) 35lb given to me & bought (2) 75lb off Craigslist cheaper than "play it again sports".
http://www.playitagainsports.com