More Buying Advice Requested

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
Hi All,

I'm new to the world of tractors. Been doing lots of reading here and appreciate all the great info and helpful users, so I've come with my first questions. Sorry for the length of this post...want to give you all as much info as possible.

I'm looking for a small tractor primarily for mowing 5 acres, also some relatively light leveling and smoothing, spraying (yellow starthistle control), firewood carrying, brush pile moving, and various other chores as they pop up. My property is all sloped with the majority of what I need to mow being 10-15 degrees and some areas as much as 20 degrees. My reading indicates I will need a rotary cutter, at least until I can get the weeds and rough spots under control.

I've pretty much settled on Kubota for a couple reasons, one of which is they are the only brand with a full service dealership within an easy drive of home. And after lots of reading, I'm focusing on the BX2360 and B2320.

My neighbor graciously allowed me to test drive his BX1860 with FEL on my property and I was able to access all the areas of my property that I need to mow without drama. Knowing that the BX felt stable (though it was with a MMM), I'm leaning heavily toward the BX. Maneuverability and storage space are also concerns.

But it occurs to me that the rotary cutter, at 450lbs, is on the edge of what the 3pt hitch on the BX can handle (~600lbs), and I wonder how that will affect stability on my property.

So I'm also considering the B2320 which, being slightly larger, may handle the rotary cutter without as much strain. However, I have not been able to test one, or anything like it, on my property and I'm worried about stability due to the increased height. It is 5" wider and slightly heavier. Price difference out the door is $1400, not horrible but still a consideration. I see more used B series for sale than BX's, so that may be an option if I can determine the B series will work for me.

Anyway, I need to pull the trigger soon, but would appreciate any advice or real world experience on the following:

Will the BX2360 handle a 450lb rotary cutter on slopes?

Would the B2320 be less stable on those slopes?

Thanks for any help.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
After seriously considering the B and BX, we went with a BX2660. It handles the 48" Land Pride without any problems. We have a lot of slopes and preferred the BX for stability and a bit more maneuverability, but you can put spacers on the B to make it more stable.

I don't really see a clear winner here and think either will work OK.

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
Thanks, TripleR. That's the kind of experience I'm looking for.

It's the 48" Land Pride that I'm looking at. The dealer offered wheel spacers for the BX, and I've seen them online for the B. Something to keep in mind.

In fact I also wonder about using wheel spacers on the BX with all that weight on the back, but the dealer says no problem.

Still leaning towards the BX...

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If both will do the job you want, and fit in your storage space, I myself would lean towards the bigger tractor. I doubt that stability will be an issue- the difference would be marginal between the two. I think that operation practice and skill is more important than which one is closer to the ground, when you are looking at two tractors that aren't that different. It would be adventagious to drive a 2320- if you are serious, maybe the dealer will bring one to your property and let you try it out. Many folks find that they didn't get enough tractor.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I have operated mowers and tractors of all sizes from a John Deere 265 to an M9540 on slopes since 1984 and a "little bit" more stability on slopes can mean the difference between finishing a job and winding up on your side.

I REALLY wanted a B2920 and even went so far as to sell our perfectly good BX2200. When we went up to buy it, we just couldn't get comfortable with the height and stability. We went several times and tried to convince ourselves it was the right tractor. In the end, neither my wife nor I were comfortable with it, so we bought the BX2660. We equipped it with the FEL, LP rotary tiller, 48" rotary cutter and 48" box blade.

We have had no regrets.

We do have a variety of other tractors, but we have other properties. For our immediate area, the BX does everything we need done and for a few years even used it as our primary tractor on this farm.

Like I said, either will do; little bit of compromise either way you go.

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
Thanks again, all. Any other advice or experience out there with B series on slopes? I think I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow to buy a BX2360.

Last chance to stop me...

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
If both will do the job you want, and fit in your storage space, I myself would lean towards the bigger tractor. I doubt that stability will be an issue- the difference would be marginal between the two. I think that operation practice and skill is more important than which one is closer to the ground, when you are looking at two tractors that aren't that different. It would be adventagious to drive a 2320- if you are serious, maybe the dealer will bring one to your property and let you try it out. Many folks find that they didn't get enough tractor.
Forgot to respond to this. These are basically all the thoughts that have caused my hesitation to buy the BX. I hear the advice often to buy bigger than you think you need. Sure would like to test one on my property, though...the slopes really worry me. I'll ask the dealer about bringing one out but somehow I suspect that's a longshot.

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
Well, here she is. BX2360 with wheel spacers and filled tires. That's a Land Pride RCR1248 on the back. So far I've moved a large pile of pine rounds and started the mowing. I'm very happy with its performance so far. Some test driving around the property has helped confirm that I've chosen the right tractor...no ground clearance issues yet and I appreciate the lower center of gravity in a few areas.

The rotary cutter looks big on this thing but it has handled it without strain so far (with the FEL on).

I work from home, inside all day...it's pretty distracting having this thing in the driveway. Can hardly wait to get back out there.

Attachments

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
Thanks! :)

Is it common for new tractor owners to develop a case of attachmentitis? A box scraper and some pallet/brush forks sure would be useful. My wallet is starting to hurt.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Thanks! :)

Is it common for new tractor owners to develop a case of attachmentitis? A box scraper and some pallet/brush forks sure would be useful. My wallet is starting to hurt.
You've got to pace yourself, and use holidays and birthdays wisely.

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
Hi All. I haven't posted on OTT in almost 2 years but had to stop in to say I LOVE THIS TRACTOR!! :) I wish I'd bought it many years earlier.

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
We love happy endings Don64. That is great to hear!