mini hay loader

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Has anyone thought of or made a miniature loose hay loader? Currently, I have 3 acres of grass that one more occasions that I want to admit, needs to be bagged. I do not have a bagger, and unless I get an OEM, I'm stuck with picking the grass up with a rake and loading it into my trailer. I must haul it to the city brush dump a couple miles out of town. I typically fill a 4'x8'x4' high trailer a couple of times if the grass is not way to out of control. Typical operation is to mow into rows, run the lawn sweeper and then pick up the piles. Some days I feel like I'm Amish, except I have rubber tires and no horses. I'm getting tired of picking up the piles, but watching my neighbor dump his bagger every round.....well, its not gonna happen. SO, I was thinking if I had a small scale loose hay loader, I can pull my trailer behind that and the world would be great.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I do the same thing as you but Im on about 5 acres and that all goes in the compost pile,, that makes some super nice garden soil for maters and peppers and man look at them taters! And yes thats the same thing I have been kicking around for years, and have come up with nothing that wont cost an arm and a leg. Good luck if you come up with something please post it

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
Mow a little oftener and let the clippings fly. They'll decompose rapidly and will provide fertilizer for the next growth.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
If I had something that was going to be lying idle until next winter, I would be looking at ways of modifying that into a grass blower somehow. But I know nothing of the workings of snow handling equipment.

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I mow about every 4-5 days. But with weather and travel, and some areas grow much faster than others, mowing more often isn't practical. Also, i do have Gator blades. They help with slightly lifting the grass higher from behind the front wheels. haven't noticed any difference in the "chop"

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
I mow about every 4-5 days. But with weather and travel, and some areas grow much faster than others, mowing more often isn't practical. Also, i do have Gator blades. They help with slightly lifting the grass higher from behind the front wheels. haven't noticed any difference in the "chop"
Well scratch that idea.

Treckerzeug

Equipment
Carraro tgf 7800 taijfun 4,5 t winch, trailer with crane, double bl saw
Apr 17, 2015
Bavaria South Germany
hello,

In the 1950 ies, before the self loading wagons appeared such machines existed here,
They had a pickup a loading chain, a bit like a conveyor of a combine and were coupled between tractor and trailer
Here is a sample

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTc2WDEwMjQ=/z/ewEAAOSw2TdZ4kA7/$_72.JPG

You are a welder?

Good luck

Regards

Robert

Attachments

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
hello,

In the 1950 ies, before the self loading wagons appeared such machines existed here,
They had a pickup a loading chain, a bit like a conveyor of a combine and were coupled between tractor and trailer
Here is a sample

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTc2WDEwMjQ=/z/ewEAAOSw2TdZ4kA7/$_72.JPG

You are a welder?

Good luck

Regards

Robert
That is exactly what I'm talking about. I've watched them work for years. We live but a few miles from the Amish, and some use them, some use gas powered bailers. I Just want a smaller version. My trailer is only about 4' high. A mini version of those. I wish I was a welder.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
can you use your tractor's mower ..... and after cutting... re-cut back and forth.... not for purpose of Cutting per say but for blowing it all into a pile.... (or two) BUTTT blow it on top of a large tarp(s). Rake the remaining onto the tarp.

then tow the tarp full of cuttings to where you want it. Leave room so that with with longer ropes.... snag opposite end of tarp and pull with tractor..... you will roll it all up as you pull tarp out of underneath from opposite end.

You will need some massively strong tarp.. Maybe big rig truck tarp material once you get your system figured out.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
What about gearing up a grass vacuum? I've seen someone on here that ran it off the PTO which would save gas and an extra motor to maintain. Here's a link to a gas version

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/lawn-and-garden/trac-vac/880-ic/19232740

You should be able to box in your existing trailer to save cost and handling. I googled "grass vacuum trailer" images. It has a ton of sizes and styles come up.

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
What about gearing up a grass vacuum? I've seen someone on here that ran it off the PTO which would save gas and an extra motor to maintain. Here's a link to a gas version

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/lawn-and-garden/trac-vac/880-ic/19232740

You should be able to box in your existing trailer to save cost and handling. I googled "grass vacuum trailer" images. It has a ton of sizes and styles come up.

Thats not a bad option. Hadn't thought of that. My trailer is already partially boxed in. Just needs a top. thanks

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Didn't realize until about a week ago, that type of hay loader was invented in Sand Springs, Iowa about 40 minutes from me. That and the first modern tractor was invented about 30 minutes north of me. Froelich, Iowa The beginning of John Deere in the tractor world (eventually)

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
DR makes a tow behind trailer with a giant bag and a gas engine vacume. Folds into a compact unit for storage. I have no idea what it costs

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
Back in the 70's, my Dad had a gentleman's agreement with the farmers next to his place to collect the loose straw from the wheat harvest. He made a straw scoop for the 18hp Simplicity garden tractor that he had, mounted it on the front, and used the lift handle from the snow-blade to operate it. Used the Simplicity with a sickle-bar to cut the stubble down, too.

The scoop itself was made from 2x4s, 4x4s, galvanized pipe and some flat bar stock. The pipe was used as a comb to gather the loose straw, spaced about 6" apart, also used pipe for the sides and back. It was about 4' wide, 4' tall and 4' deep. It worked by setting it on the ground, driving forward till it wouldn't collect anymore, drive over to the garden, set it down, back out and go get another load. Used it until he retired from gardening in the early 2000's.

Digger