Mid PTO vs Rear PTO

LowInOhio

Equipment
B2301
Aug 6, 2014
Nashport, OH
www.nashportohio.com
I have a B2301 with about 70 hours on the meter. I just removed the MMM for winter storage. I moved the PTO lever from mid to rear and ran PTO for a minute or so, then back to mid PTO. Seems a lot smoother and quieter on rear vs mid. With the mower engaged, you'd never know the difference, but now with neither running any implements, it's obvious that the mid PTO isn't as smooth/quiet. Is this normal?

thanks

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just guessing - nothing more.

There's some more gearing involved in the mid-PTO versus the rear-PTO. That gearing is right under your seat, more or less. The rear-PTO is more linear/direct out the back.

Especially without a load attached to the PTO, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more noise with the mid. Without resistance, some of those extra gears my have some slack in them to cause the noise.

As a practice, I wouldn't run it without a load, but certainly understand turning them just to make sure everything is working....

Again - just guessing.

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
main thing is RPM = noise.

that rear is only gonna turn at 540rpm

the mid is much higher (how much higher depends on model) = more noise.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
main thing is RPM = noise.

that rear is only gonna turn at 540rpm

the mid is much higher (how much higher depends on model) = more noise.
Great point - - didn't think of that.

Mid- will be 2,500 RPM or so.

LowInOhio

Equipment
B2301
Aug 6, 2014
Nashport, OH
www.nashportohio.com
Thanks for the fast response from y'all. I sort of assumed it was typical, but wanted to hear some other opinions. I only ran both PTO's at hardly above idle and only for 30 or less seconds. I thought about stopping by local Kubota dealer to talk to them about it, but we all know what they're going to say.....bring it in. They have a new B2301 on the lot without mower. I may see if they'll run it and let me hear it.

thanks again

I didn't think about the rpm difference either.

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I don't get why running a pto without something hooked to it would be a bad thing. Makes no sense.
I guess you could get stuff wrapped up in it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I don't get why running a pto without something hooked to it would be a bad thing. Makes no sense.
Yeah sorry, helo - I was thinking safety, but my explanation was far from explicit.

Just saw a little buck out back - probably the bugger that rubbed up my Fraser Fir....

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Yeah sorry, helo - I was thinking safety, but my explanation was far from explicit.

Just saw a little buck out back - probably the bugger that rubbed up my Fraser Fir....
Oh, okay. I guess I just am so used to working around spinning parts that I don't give it a second thought. Don't tough the spinning parts, easy fix.