Mid-PTO Install (with pictures)

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I bought a used L3940 about a month ago.
I put $ down on a used L2195A, 74" front mount blower, and I go to pick it up next weekend.
As such, I wanted to have my PTO installed for when I got back.

Yesterday, I installed my mid-PTO. I'll try to spell out the couple minor difficulties/oddities that I saw.

The PTO:

Install the shift arm with roll pin. I had to loosen the bolt on the collar plate, then re-tighten it.

Other stuff in the box, somewhat laid out:

Needed snap ring pliers for this sub-assembly:

The victim:

The plate that needs to come off. A small enough screw driver and a big enough hammer does it. It is RTV'd on quite well.

After the plate is removed. Remember to clean the surface well.

The PTO, ready to go on. Tap in the pins, lay down some RTV (make sure to buy it ahead of time, kit doesn't come with any sealant/gaskets).

And installed, I engaged the pto and spun it by hand back/forth while tightening bolts to make sure gear meshed right. I doubt I would have had to, but I did. At some point, I noticed the rear PTO turn. Perfect...

Virtually impossible to show, but this is a support arm. You unbolt the fender from the "outside", then bolt this on from the inside, then put nuts on the longer bolts to hold the fender on from the outside. They "eye" aligns with the hole by the seat where a new grommet goes. The other sub-assembly installs easily with two bolts. Couldn't get a picture of it, but the directions show exactly how it goes.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Limited to 10 pictures, here is the rest...........

Engaged:

Disengaged:

Dealership told me to pull the back up on blocks (which you can see). Seemed to work fine. Got maybe 8 gallons of fluid out. Putting it back in SUCKED. Almost need a little pump to do it. I put the fluid in a gallon jug, then poured it back in. I'll be doing a fluid change this summer, I think.

The wiring is WAY UP under the seat. I was holding my knife by the last 1/2", protruding it way out, to cut through the electrical tape holding it. So, don't cut into the split loom NEAR the pto switch, go a foot away under the seat to look for the plug. Other than that, the only annoyance was the oil constantly dripping out no matter how long I left it and the ice melting and dripping off. Probably took me 4 or 5 hours, but there was a lunch and some sledding with my 2 year old in that time as well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Super job, and great looking tractor!

I have a 51" front mount on my BX2360. My first winter with the tractor and snowblower. Both have done a great job.

I'm jealous for your workshop space. Great pics.

Foolish question - do you need to engage rear PTO to run the mid-PTO, or are they completely independent?

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I'm jealous for your workshop space. Great pics.
Thanks for that too. My garage is 32x60, and at least 4' too short. Or maybe I have too many cars/trucks/tractors. Naw, must be too short.

Also, I forgot a benefit to this upgrade. The plug for the mid PTO switch has a terminator plug attached to it that gets removed to plug in the switch. Well, that same plug will plug into the seat switch harness. Ta-da, no more tractor turning off when I lean over too far to watch what I'm doing.