Mid-mount mower questions

slimpickens

Equipment
BX1880
Jun 22, 2018
Hawaii
BX1880 with 54" mid-mount mower. Seeking help with a couple rookie questions:

1. Can the mower be operated in the raised position? Situation: Big round rock in field about 4" out of the ground - looks like the tip of an iceberg. I can go around it or raise the deck to avoid blade contact.

2. What is a good RPM to engage the mower? Mower is operated between 2200 - 3000 RPMs.

TIA

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
Mower can be operated at the highest mower deck height knob position. Will it turn in the fully raised locked position yes, but I don't mow at that height.

For best results most at max RPM, though I will throttle down in some areas that are dusty or whatever, don't be afraid to momentarily throttle down when it makes sense but you will get a much better cut at wide open throttle.

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
I raise and lower frequently - no issues there. I like to engage & disengage blades at about 1700 rpm and cut at about 2800-2900 rpm. BX2360 with 54 inch fine cut mmm.

Last edited:

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
Yep the mower works all the way up, with the weather we've had I've got areas that are too tall to cut in one pass. (I'm almost thinking the way this year is going I need a hay mower for my lawn...) I'll take two passes, one all the way up and one where I want it.

I usually start my mower just above idle now that I've got high lift grass gator blades on which take some effort to get moving. With the stock blades I didn't worry too much about the throttle when engaging the mower.