melted ground cable on b6100d

nathanturner

Equipment
L35 BH,FEL
Apr 4, 2014
Berea
I have no idea what caused my ground cable to melt. Tractor was working fine the all of a sudden smoke. Replaced the cable and as soon as I hooked up the battery the cable started to heat up again. All it runs is the glow plugs and the starter. what should i look for?:eek:

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
I have no idea what caused my ground cable to melt. Tractor was working fine the all of a sudden smoke. Replaced the cable and as soon as I hooked up the battery the cable started to heat up again. All it runs is the glow plugs and the starter. what should i look for?:eek:
So one thing is that the ground cable may be broken internally, overheating is a sign of either a small conductor or a dirty connector, wirebrush and scrape the bolt and connector and pad.

Some cables have a steel end crimped over the copper cable, I've seen those get hot enough to catch fire. (magnet or signs of rust will give that away) I've also seen some cables that broke 90% of the way through so what looks like a #4 cable is more like a #10. Also check all of your grounds, it could be that one is broken or loose and is making a smaller drain cable act like a main ground cable.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does it spark when you install the cable?
Does it heat up with the key off?
If it get's hot with key off look for a shorted main positive cable.
If it only get hot with the key on it's in the wiring.
If it gets hot when in preheat, it in wiring or glow plug circuit.
If it gets hot when cranking bad starter.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Kind of thinking out loud here:

Sure the battery is installed correctly and not backwards?

What 'size' is the new negative battery cable? Needs to be heavier wire gauge than you think for current to start diesel.

Follow other poster's comments about trying to determine which circuit is pulling load aka shorted. May also need to use a test light or voltmeter. Test light might be easiest---put light between end of disconnected neg cable and chassis ground: light 'on' indicates current flow (caution the light's wire may be relatively small so don't burn it up too by leaving it 'on' when pulling high load).

If EVERYTHING is "off" (proven off, disconnected) then got a short directly back to positive---rubbed raw wire or cable or the two cables somehow touching terminals or connections? Positive terminal touching chassis somehow?

Agree that neg cable may be way undersized due to corrosion or damage. Could be a bad ground connection to chassis creating high resistance current flow point. Try cleaning chassis connection bolt to shiny bright--paint, corrosion, rust, dirty washers, bolt, nut.

If EVERYTHING disconnected and cable okay, then start carefully reconnecting individual components, watching for sparks, and watching negative bat cable. Check for blown fuse(s) along the way after each discrete step reconnecting something.

You should be able to feel glow plugs heating. Could be glow plug controller or timer (in whatever form you have on your machine) failed constantly 'on' and GPs are pulling too much current for a bad ground cable to convey back to battery.

You say only the starter is otherwise off battery. Possible but I think unlikely the starter is constantly energized and not spinning putting huge load on battery, again with undersized-for-whatever-reason neg cable.

Might even be an internally failed battery. Try different battery from another vehicle---not just jumped, but bypassing tractor battery altogether. Had this happen once in the last forty years or so.

Curious what you find. Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
I had similar thing happen on my B6000 except it was not the ground cable. Turns out a loose connection was the culprit. Loose = heat. I would start there.