Manure Spreader

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060, ZD21, ZD28, ZD331, RTV X1100C, Branson 3820, JD 1020, JD 50
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
Anyone ever used a manure spreader to apply a thin layer of topsoil to a lawn before seeding? I've never used one and I'm not familuaer with them at all. So I'm not sure if the manure is larger clumps that allows the spreader to work? The topsoil I have is clean and not clumped. I'm not skilled enough to use the FEL bucket, I just make piles every where. Maybe someone has a better idea?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do you HAVE a manure spreader? Or can you borrow one? It might work.

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
Do you HAVE a manure spreader? Or can you borrow one? It might work.
I have found one in a barn and the lady said she would sell at a reasonable price. She might even let me try it first. Just didn't want to dump a bucket full of topsoil in it and have to shovel it out not knowing if it will work.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have a Millcreek 25G. Has levers for 'beaters' as well as the 'floor'. It's awesome for 'top dressing' ! Holds about 3-4 scoops from my BX23S. As it's ground driven, you need to go the right speed to feed out the material.
It was GREAT at putting compost into nice 4' rows, all evenly spread, using just the 'floor'. The beaters 'fling' the material further.

Reactions: 1 user

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
I have a Millcreek 25G. Has levers for 'beaters' as well as the 'floor'. It's awesome for 'top dressing' ! Holds about 3-4 scoops from my BX23S. As it's ground driven, you need to go the right speed to feed out the material.
It was GREAT at putting compost into nice 4' rows, all evenly spread, using just the 'floor'. The beaters 'fling' the material further.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, do most/all spreaders have a moving bottom or should I be looking for one that definitely does?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
they all 'should', never see one without.
they're either ground driven ( tires on backwards) or PTO driven.
floors tend to rot out.......
beaters bearings/chains, sprockets get worn.
TRY before you buy !!! A 10 minute test run WILL save you 10 DAYS of grief..DON'T 'assume' it works like the owner says....

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
The "moving bottom" is called an apron.
Examine the bottom sides of the chain links on the apron carefully for excessive wear. A common failure with manure spreaders is that the apron chain breaks. Of course, it always happens with a full load, so you end up pitching the load off by hand. Been there, done that, multiple times. And yes, if the manure spreader stands loaded for a long time, the wooden floor will rot out.

I think you're going to be disappointed with how unevenly a manure spreader will spread dirt.

I was trying to think of the perfect machine to spread topsoil. There are fertilizer spreaders that have a tapered bed (for flow) with a narrow apron down the middle. The apron delivers to a horizontal whirling broadcast wheel at the back. If you've been behind a salt truck on the highway, you'll get the picture. But, it's probably going to spread too thinly, requiring many passes to get thick layer.

Farmers rent out these granular fertilizer spreaders in the spring. Not sure a rental outfit would appreciate you filling their machine with dirt, but it is the off-season now...Check at a local Ag Co-op. Usually, they will deliver the fertilizer spreader to the property...filled with fertilizer, of course.

Maybe ask a large landscaping outfit how they do it. Or, ask at the place that sells the soil.

I think I'd deliver the soil using a FEL or skid loader, tipping the bucket just so and backing up at the same time to spread it. Then use a drag harrow to distribute it evenly.

-Paul

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
You need to rent what is known as a top dresser. Saw one on CL a while back. Golf courses use them.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
In my neighborhood there is a large play field that is fertilized with compost. They use a machine that has a hopper that feeds out to a belt. There are some rotating brushes that throw the compost off the belt. I have never seen it in operation but know they pull it behind a tractor and the compost is about a half inch thick and very even. They cover a few acres in a day.

Search earthandturf dot com

You may be able to to find a company that maintains parks in your area and rent them to spread the dirt?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
they all 'should', never see one without.
they're either ground driven ( tires on backwards) or PTO driven.
floors tend to rot out.......
beaters bearings/chains, sprockets get worn.
TRY before you buy !!! A 10 minute test run WILL save you 10 DAYS of grief..DON'T 'assume' it works like the owner says....
Thanks for the solid advice....seems there is a lot more to spreader than I thought.

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
The "moving bottom" is called an apron.
Examine the bottom sides of the chain links on the apron carefully for excessive wear. A common failure with manure spreaders is that the apron chain breaks. Of course, it always happens with a full load, so you end up pitching the load off by hand. Been there, done that, multiple times. And yes, if the manure spreader stands loaded for a long time, the wooden floor will rot out.

I think you're going to be disappointed with how unevenly a manure spreader will spread dirt.

I was trying to think of the perfect machine to spread topsoil. There are fertilizer spreaders that have a tapered bed (for flow) with a narrow apron down the middle. The apron delivers to a horizontal whirling broadcast wheel at the back. If you've been behind a salt truck on the highway, you'll get the picture. But, it's probably going to spread too thinly, requiring many passes to get thick layer.

Farmers rent out these granular fertilizer spreaders in the spring. Not sure a rental outfit would appreciate you filling their machine with dirt, but it is the off-season now...Check at a local Ag Co-op. Usually, they will deliver the fertilizer spreader to the property...filled with fertilizer, of course.

Maybe ask a large landscaping outfit how they do it. Or, ask at the place that sells the soil.

I think I'd deliver the soil using a FEL or skid loader, tipping the bucket just so and backing up at the same time to spread it. Then use a drag harrow to distribute it evenly.

-Paul
Thanks Paul, I am familiar with the fertilizer spreader , but like you said I was thinking it would be really slow go being it would spread thin. I will have to use the FEL as a last resort, my old eyes and slow motors skills just seems to make a mess of thinks when I try to spread thin layers with the FEL. Talked to a couple local landscapers and they both use a skid steer FEL. There is a Southern States farm supply in my area I'll see if the have the large fertilizer spreader. Thanks Again!

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
You need to rent what is known as a top dresser. Saw one on CL a while back. Golf courses use them.
A top dresser...searching on CL and Ebay...thanks for the suggestion.

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
In my neighborhood there is a large play field that is fertilized with compost. They use a machine that has a hopper that feeds out to a belt. There are some rotating brushes that throw the compost off the belt. I have never seen it in operation but know they pull it behind a tractor and the compost is about a half inch thick and very even. They cover a few acres in a day.

Search earthandturf dot com

You may be able to to find a company that maintains parks in your area and rent them to spread the dirt?
Wow, that is exactlly what I need. Seems you and McFarmall hit the nail on the head with the Top Dresser. Now I got to find one to rent, too costly for me to buy only to use once a year.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Pigdoc the spreader you are talking about is used around hear to spred chicken litter / they a adjustable for coverage by gate hight at discharge / used to adjust tons per acer

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
Pigdoc the spreader you are talking about is used around hear to spred chicken litter / they a adjustable for coverage by gate hight at discharge / used to adjust tons per acer
There are many chicken houses in my area. I'll stop by and see what they are using and inquire about renting. Thanks for the feedback!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I found that going BACKWARDS works better to 'evenly fluff' material ( like gravel,dirt, compost ) than going forward.
yeah, sounds' wrong' but you can SEE how the material is coming out of the bucket and it's easy to adjust your 'curl lever action'. IF the material is all the same density and fluffiness, you get good at putting an even layer out....... Problem is a bucket doen't hold enough so a LOT of trips......
Using the spreader,you can put a LOT of material down in a short amount of time.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Chicken people just sell the S<<T / Spredding is buy guys that do farm work for hire Planting, combining,silage chopping & S<<T spreding. im thinking you might be better getting some day labor & let them shovle & rake spred from your bucket