Machine won't start

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've got a tractor and the engine won't start. Not sure what to do first. Can someone give me an idea of what parts would cost? Can I fix it myself or will a dealer have to do it? Thanks in advance for your help.

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Check controls to see if something might be in wrong place to prevent start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
D2Cat,

first thing I would want to say - "have you checked for spark:D?" - but then you would know that I am just messing with you! :)

Does it turn over?
If so - does it ever give any indication of smoke or firing?
Have you checked the glow plugs to see if they are working - you can check them via ohm meter (disconnect wiring) or
Use a infrared thermometer to see if that area is heating, might take a long turn of the key.

IF it is not turning over - you gonna go through some safety switches to see if that is a cause.....

If you can shoot up some more pictures of specific areas on your new machine, maybe we can see something.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
I've got a tractor and the engine won't start. Not sure what to do first. Can someone give me an idea of what parts would cost? Can I fix it myself or will a dealer have to do it? Thanks in advance for your help.
that does seem like a common first post. it might even resemble mine....:p

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
It's probably a green tractor, so your screwed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can't handle it, it's too much for you!
Load it on a trailer immediately and ship it to me, I'll take care of it for ya! :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's some solutions I came across over the years. I wouldn't really recommend trying these ;)

These are if it turns over, but you ran it out of fuel :)

1: Take a big pair of bloomers. Remove air filter. Soak bloomers in starting fluid or gasoline. Stick in air filter box. Install air filter and crank over engine :eek:

Usually fires, runs away till bloomers get sucked up into intake and clog motor. Then it chokes out and dies.

2: remove air filter. Take can of starting fluid. Place in air filter box. Duct tape nozzle down so it continuously sprays. Then crank engine. :eek:

Engine will start, and run like a bat out of hell. Till it blows, sucks the can into the intake and stalls, or can falls out.

3: This works with an oil bath.

Remove oil from oil bath. Replace oil with starting fluid or gasoline :eek:

Motor will fire right up, and run like a sum beach right up till something breaks or explodes.

4: This one doesn't work but they were out of starter fluid and gasoline. So they gave it the college try.

Remove air filter, cover air filter in bright orange water based marking paint :rolleyes:

Note all these have been done and tried. Usually result in a ticked off mechanic, boss, and usually results in a minimum of 30 percent extra attached to the bill for the stupidity factor ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I'll be right over to help you with it, as soon as i finish my cheeseburger. You dont mind payin airfare and accomodations do ya?my flight is booked on sunday 2:15 pm.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Are you sure it's supposed to start? Maybe you're supposed to let it sit there where you can just look at it. In the aviation world, such things are called hangar queens. Barn queens?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well Grouse Feathers, you read the message!

That was my point. I appreciate all who replied, to make my point.

It would be nice if Coachgeo or NIW could come up with a way for someone with a problem, for the first time, had to fill out a questionnaire detailing things like tractor model, recent maintenance performed, how long they owned machine, hours on engine, use when problem occurred... before the first post could be made. And the questionnaire is posted with the first post.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty simple minded. When I read some of the questions posted, I say to myself .......... (well I am not going to post it!). I think how can you own something that you paid, or are paying, for and so ignorant about the very basics. I want to say, "Read the manual".

Maybe there is no cure for this attitude.

There has been a time or two where someone made a similar comment, in relation to the question, and I can almost feel their frustration. Others say that escalated fast. But if you read these unprepared questions frequently, I want to start blaming 85Hokie, cause he let's them graduate. (I know that's foolish)

Might even make the search function easier to locate some problems.

On the 6.5L Diesel Forum they have a similar series of questions. It actually helps the owner figure their own problem some times. It make one think clearer....

This would reinforce the understanding of: The quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer.

Thanks for letting me vent.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Some of the information that a first time poster needs is buried in the super stickies that practically no one reads. It took me a while to figure out the search function, and I like to think I'm fairly computer literate. I like the idea of a short list of key questions to frame a good request, and hints for posting pictures. If this could be compiled, maybe Mr K could put it in the automatic Welcome letter that goes out every time someone signs up as a member. Expecting someone to read those stickies is unfortunately unrealistic, but maybe if it came up right off the bat it would help, and if the hints stayed in their email they could find them again for reference.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
When you go to each one of the different sub-forums, close to the top of the page is the name of the sub-forum and a little about it. Could that be change from:

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

To something like:

Service, Repair & Maintenance: Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips.
When posting a question about your tractor, please include the model of the tractor, what the symptoms are and what you have tried when posting your questions.

I don't know if that would make any difference or not. I have done some searching on add-ons vBulletin and there seems to be a couple that add support for asking questions that need to be filled in before you can post. I haven't done any coding for vBeulletin, but I have done a lot of PHP and would be willing to help out if needed.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I like it :D The question and answers included with the first post would be great. :D

Unfortunately the very little information from someone's first post is very common. Even in the real world.

I get at least one call a day from someone saying my pump won't crank!!!! Or I need a repairman out here now to fix this. It's on this well site. Then hang up :confused: Then get mad when you call them back for more details :rolleyes: The key one, where is this well site at :p

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
You can't fight google. Google has trained everyone to type in two and three words and get almost unlimited hits. I think our best option might be to come up with a form that we use as a reply when someone asks for help with no specific information. We shouldn't even have to type the form just have an icon that puts the form in the reply.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Everybody knows that the first answer to the question is $7,284.61. Give or take $7k.