M9000 No Start

Anthony C

Equipment
M9000
Oct 22, 2017
Wolfe City, TX
M9000 No Start (FIXED)

I have a 2001 M9000 that will not start. There is a single click when I turn the key to start it but that’s it. The click isn’t coming from the starter though it’s actually coming from the other side of the tractor (right side). The lights, radio, and AC all come on with the key on run but shut off when I turn the key to start it. I have also tried starting the tractor by touching a screwdriver to the starter solenoid which will get it to turn over but not start

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a 2001 M9000 that will not start. There is a single click when I turn the key to start it but that’s it. The click isn’t coming from the starter though it’s actually coming from the other side of the tractor (right side). The lights, radio, and AC all come on with the key on run but shut off when I turn the key to start it. I have also tried starting the tractor by touching a screwdriver to the starter solenoid which will get it to turn over but not start
Turning over - as in a normal speed?

the last part tell me that your battery is low or weak!;):)

Anthony C

Equipment
M9000
Oct 22, 2017
Wolfe City, TX
I forgot to add, I had the tractor running for about 4 hours a couple of days before this happened and it ran fine and I parked it with no issues (using a spreader). After it didn’t start I checked the battery and it read 12.25 just sitting and 11.85 while trying to start it. I even took it to auto zone and they said it checked out good

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The click you are hearing is the fuel shut-off.

I'm thinking safety switch issue. It only has 2 that I know of, the shuttle shift and the pto. Check to make sure both of those are working or adjusted properly

Anthony C

Equipment
M9000
Oct 22, 2017
Wolfe City, TX
I’m thinking it may be the shuttle shifter then because I have noticed it jumping forward a little lately when I put it in gear. So how do I adjust that?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
Have you cleaned/tightened all four(4) battery cable ends especially the negative cable ends? My next guess is faulty neutral start switch.

Anthony C

Equipment
M9000
Oct 22, 2017
Wolfe City, TX
Yes I cleaned and tightened all the connections after I got the battery checked. I haven’t looked into the neutral safety switch yet but I read that I would have bypassed that when I tried to jump the starter. Is that not true?

Anthony C

Equipment
M9000
Oct 22, 2017
Wolfe City, TX
A friend of mine came over today and helped me find the problem. A mouse chewed 5 wires in half so we spliced some new wires and reconnected them and it fired right up. Thank you to everyone who contributed to help me out

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
A friend of mine came over today and helped me find the problem. A mouse chewed 5 wires in half so we spliced some new wires and reconnected them and it fired right up. Thank you to everyone who contributed to help me out
Anthony -

Thanks so much for coming back to report your solution.

Sometimes guys/gals get advice, and we never here what did/didn't fix a problem.

This closes your issue, and we all appreciate the fix - even if it was a bunch of mice! :p

Thanks again!