M8540

barbjd

Apr 15, 2010
Phoenix AZ
I have a M8540 with 300 hours on it. The problem is a growling noise in the transmission/rear end area when the tractor is started. When I start the tractor in hot, warm or cold weather....doesn't matter, it often makes the noise, not all the time. It primarily does it when the shuttle shift is engaged in forward position and the transmission is in neutral. My local dealer is puzzled and been unable to give me a solid answer as to the cause. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
barbjd - Welcome to the OTT!

Does it only growl on stat up and then goes away during idle?

I wonder if there is a bearing showing it's beginning signs of failure :confused:

Has the trans fluid ever gone low and how is the level now?

barbjd

Apr 15, 2010
Phoenix AZ
Scott......thank you for your post. The transmission/rear end area only makes the noise on start up and then is quiet. The transmission fluid levels have never been low and are at normal levels now.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I have a M7040 that makes the same sound. It is easily noticable and a bit alarming. As you state, it is a growling rather than a grinding noise that sounds like tension or strain.

It just might be normal until all of the parts warm up and mate as designed.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I have a M7040 that makes the same sound. It is easily noticable and a bit alarming. As you state, it is a growling rather than a grinding noise that sounds like tension or strain.

It just might be normal until all of the parts warm up and mate as designed.

Thank you for helping. Nice to know his isn't the only M that growls.
GWD, If you don't mind, how many hours do you have on your tractor?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Thank you for helping. Nice to know his isn't the only M that growls.
GWD, If you don't mind, how many hours do you have on your tractor?
Purchased Oct 2010, hours as of yesterday - 172.

Not much can be done over winter around here. No snow to plow and the ground is like chocolate jello.

The So Cal desert is probably much more workable year-round.

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama

Not much can be done over winter around here. No snow to plow and the ground is like chocolate jello.

Wow - Oct 2010 - I want to stand by and watch it take-off :D

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California

Did you by chance mean Oct 2009?

For the most part, I am able to do tractor work year round.
The only exception is when we get good soakers of a rain then the dirt roads turn to what you called "chocolate jello". Nothing can be done with that stuff. Just have to wait it out to dry some, but not dry too much or it becomes rock hard again.

Today is a great one though. It's clear, no clouds and the high is supposed to be 79 degrees.

I hope you are enjoying the same kinda weather!

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Yes, the tractor was purchased in Oct 2009. I prefer not to live in the past but my time machine is in need of servicing. Not sure if to use UDT or SUDT.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The noise you speak of is probably the hydraulic pumps priming and purging the air out.(they are right under the seat on 40 series and larger tractors). Normal and a common complain on these tractors! Use SUDT, you don't need to change it that often so the difference in price won't break you and it IS a superior lubricant!

barbjd

Apr 15, 2010
Phoenix AZ
eserve,
If this is the problem with the pump prime why does the shuttle have to be in forward and the shifter in neutral to hear this noise?

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Yes, the tractor was purchased in Oct 2009. I prefer not to live in the past but my time machine is in need of servicing. Not sure if to use UDT or SUDT.
With a device as sensative as a Time Machine, I would strongly suggest the SUDT. That's something you really shouldn't take chances with :D