M8540 value and longevity

gomer pyle

Equipment
M7060HD12
Nov 22, 2018
Tennessee
I have someone wanted to do some trading. He has a 8540 open station, 4x4, with loader. I don't know if it is sync or hyd shuttle. I have not seen it yet. He says it has 3500 hours. I am interested in a tractor of this size, also, I will not put many hours on in a year(maybe 100). At this many hours, what are common things I need to look for? What is the longevity of the motor, hydro pumps, etc? Approximate value of tractor?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have someone wanted to do some trading. He has a 8540 open station, 4x4, with loader. I don't know if it is sync or hyd shuttle. I have not seen it yet. He says it has 3500 hours. I am interested in a tractor of this size, also, I will not put many hours on in a year(maybe 100). At this many hours, what are common things I need to look for? What is the longevity of the motor, hydro pumps, etc? Approximate value of tractor?
PTO brakes are weak and reliability concern.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Have a friend who purchased an M9540 three years ago at a farm auction. Had around 3300 HRs on it and mostly used in the hay fields. It had mirrors needing replaces, part of the grill was cracked. Minor stuff. He eventually replaced a couple of hoses, removed the interior (had cab) and cleaned AC componets, etc. Replaced a couple parts in the pivot at the front end.

It's still on his farm working. I tease him and ask when he's going back to pay the second half of the payment. There were two identical tractors at that sale and told him he should have bought both of them. He paid $17K for cabbed tractor with loader! He hit a door on a column in his barn and shattered the glass in a door that cost him $800, and that's more then he'd spent on the rest of the repairs.

The xx40 series is the last machines before tier 4 took over. Their value continues to go up.

Reactions: 1 users

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
I would say it's more about care and maintenance than hours. A poorly maintained tractor (or any tool) can ware out quickly. With proper maintenance 3500 hours would not scare me.

gomer pyle

Equipment
M7060HD12
Nov 22, 2018
Tennessee
He dropped it off at the house today for me to look at. The loader is new, tractor was used without one until 6 months ago. The fluids all looked good, the filters had been changed earlier this year, and there was grease on the zerks. It looks like he kept up the maintance. The only thing that seemed off was the front/reverse lever, it was very stiff but that may from me being used to a hyd-shuttle(this one is sync-shuttle). Also, front tires are new and the rear are at least 75%

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sounds like a great buy from someone who's been looking after the machine well. Just remember that something will break (it's a tractor with quite a few hours on it), but even once you've fixed whatever breaks, it's still going to be an excellent machine. Unless you buy new or near new, you're in that maintenance mode of fixing what breaks, and you just factor that into the annual cost of running a tractor.

Near new loader is excellent - I put a new loader on my BX (it was a 20 year old tractor), and when I sold it I didn't get the money back. I'd expect you're going to do very well.