m7950 loss of steering

boatmanjj24

Equipment
m7950
Jan 18, 2024
mi.
My m7950 loss all steering running you can just turn the wheel and shut down there is no resistance so you cant even strong arm it. The shop manuals are 300 to 500 so we cant really afford that right now. I'm Shure there is a trouble shooting procedure and some ware to install a gauge to check pump pressure. Any input would be great on possible Couse of the failure would be great also on diagnosing the issue at hand. thanks

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
Maybe some of the resident ex spurts here will understand your terminology but I'm too stupid. Can you expand a bit on "just turn the wheel and shut down there is no resistance"???

boatmanjj24

Equipment
m7950
Jan 18, 2024
mi.
Maybe some of the resident ex spurts here will understand your terminology but I'm too stupid. Can you expand a bit on "just turn the wheel and shut down there is no resistance"???
The wheel free spins with your hand with the tractor running no steering. When the tractor is shut down usaly there is resistance and you can manually steer the tractor like in your vehicle with it shut off. the system I do balive is a hydrostatic style with it's own pump and a steering motor/valve under the wheel to direct flow to each side of the box/steering cylinder.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The wheel free spins with your hand with the tractor running no steering. When the tractor is shut down usaly there is resistance and you can manually steer the tractor like in your vehicle with it shut off. the system I do balive is a hydrostatic style with it's own pump and a steering motor/valve under the wheel to direct flow to each side of the box/steering cylinder.
Sounds like a mechanical failure in the steeting wheel shaft. Where you stromg arming itvwhen it gave out?

Dan

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
As Dan said. You have a coupler that attaches the steering shaft to the steering motor. My guess is that has failed. Just remove the steering column and I think you will find your problem. Was the steering working fine before this?

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My m7950 loss all steering running you can just turn the wheel and shut down there is no resistance so you cant even strong arm it. The shop manuals are 300 to 500 so we cant really afford that right now. I'm Shure there is a trouble shooting procedure and some ware to install a gauge to check pump pressure. Any input would be great on possible Couse of the failure would be great also on diagnosing the issue at hand. thanks
Could you please clarify which model of M7950 you have.
Forum M7950 models.jpg

Please edit your profile so I can understand where you live. The initials Mi are not clear to me as a Canadian.
A complete loss of fluid would make the system free wheeling as the control valve could have nothing to work with as a GEROTOR which is the control becoming a pump in instances of engine stalling and you are going down a hill.
Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user