M7060 has air in the separator

Roadracer

Equipment
Kubota M7060 4WD
Dec 2, 2020
Kentucky
My tractor starts and runs but when I put it under any load or elevate the rpm the fuel starts to not get to the separator and I can see foam starting to come in at the top where the fuel has run out. Is this just a clogged fuel filter or something else?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Good question. One of my M's does that as well, one, but not the other and I've changed all the fuel hoses from the saddle tanks (mine has 2 side mounted fuel tanks) and the fuel filter (spin on) as well as the separator element and sealing ring and it persists. It don't impact running performance at all under load, but I can see it. Fuel gets a small 'head' on it in the separator bowl. Anymore, I just ignore it. I'm thinking it's sucking some air from the pre charge pump on top the spin on filter, but again, don't impact performance at all.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadracer

Equipment
Kubota M7060 4WD
Dec 2, 2020
Kentucky
Good question. One of my M's does that as well, one, but not the other and I've changed all the fuel hoses from the saddle tanks (mine has 2 side mounted fuel tanks) and the fuel filter (spin on) as well as the separator element and sealing ring and it persists. It don't impact running performance at all under load, but I can see it. Fuel gets a small 'head' on it in the separator bowl. Anymore, I just ignore it. I'm thinking it's sucking some air from the pre charge pump on top the spin on filter, but again, don't impact performance at all.
Unfortunately, my tractor sputters and ultimately dies and it has been getting worse over time. I can barely ask for any power from the engine, or it protests.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My tractor starts and runs but when I put it under any load or elevate the rpm the fuel starts to not get to the separator and I can see foam starting to come in at the top where the fuel has run out. Is this just a clogged fuel filter or something else?
Coincidentally, I spent the morning working on the volunteer's M7040. It started, but after a few minutes wouldn't run above idle. If your 7060 is similar to the 7040, the fuel flows from the tank, through the separator, to the lift pump, to the spin-on filter, to the injector pump.

There was so much gunk in the separator that the pump developed enough suction that it collapsed the screen in the separator. We replaced the screen and spin-on filter and it ran like new. It was about 20 defF this morning. We think the water probably froze and plugged stuff up. Might have done us a favor by forcing action before big problem developed.

If this just happened today, you may have some water that froze in the line from the tank. I'd check the separator screen and add some drier to the tank.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Sounds like a clogged fuel filter or a line blockage. If there Is a blockage (filter or line) the output port of the separator is having a vacuum pulled on it causing the fuel to bubble. There is air entrained in diesel fuel and under vacuum there will be carbonation like bubbles appearing. I would check the fuel filter to see if there is any black residue present which would be an indication of algae in the fuel. There could be some debris in the fuel line. I have found a spider in a fuel line connection before causing fuel starvation. Bubbles indicate you are sucking air or the injector pump is not being supplied with enough fuel and thus causing a vacuum situation.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Algae with me isn't an issue, I run biocide in my bulk fuel tank all the time. Been there and did that before and that gets expensive.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Roadracer
Welcome to OTT,
Check to be sure fuel tank vent isn't clogged. I once owned a M4900 that would get air in WS bowl then engine would loose power/rpm's & I located a clogged tiny filter on the WS fuel cut-off valve

Reactions: 1 users

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Good point Tx Jim. Forgot that.

When I have run across problems regarding fuel flow issues, I get out my Little Green Sucker disconnect a fuel line and use a barb to mate the fuel line to the sucker and apply vacuum to the line. If something is in there, I can usually pull it through to the suction tank. If it won’t suck, as indicated by the pressure not decreasing on the gauge, then I start cracking the fuel cap, looking for collapsed fuel line, etc.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You have a leak in one of your fuel hoses or connector between the fuel lift pump and the fuel tank.
The leak may be caused by a restriction in a fuel hose due to debris or the inner lining of the hose separating.
A quick check is to remove the fuel tank cap, remove the fuel hose from the inlet port of the water separator. Using compressed air, blow through the hose to the tank. Reconnect the hose and run the tractor. No more bubbles, debris in the tank. Still have bubbles. hose or water separator leak.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
you have a restriction in the system, pre-filter somewhere

i've seen plenty of fittings plugged up in the separator, might take it off and eyeball all of the fittings

if you don't see nothing in the separator, follow the lines back where do they go? There is another separator, IIRC, further back behind where the loader arm is....pain to get to with the loader on as I remember. That one can get plugged too. Nothing in that one? May be something down inside the fuel tank, perhaps a leaf or something.

if open station tractor, the tank mounts in the back kinda behind the left rear wheel. because it's mounted where it is, it's not unusual for the steel "skid plate" and the two tank stays to get bent up by running over trees/rocks/mountains/etc and it can force the tank toward the transmission, which sometimes will pinch the lines between the tank and transmission. Haven't seen it on cab, just rops. One in particular. Tree service.

Roadracer

Equipment
Kubota M7060 4WD
Dec 2, 2020
Kentucky
I replaced the fuel filter added some biocide and some anti-gel dryer blew out the fuel line and when I tried to refill the separator, it wasn't pumping enough fuel to fill the clear plastic jar.

I had opened the bleeder and no go, and it was making bubble sounds at the fuel tank pickup, so I put compressed air in the tank from the filler and it filled right up with the assistance from the fuel pump.

I also drained some of the fuel and it looked clean and not gelled.

I sealed everything up and went for a test drive and it made some improvement but still ran out of fuel when I ran it under heavy load.

I know I am missing something, and I wasn't sure how to disassemble the separator.

Last edited:

Roadracer

Equipment
Kubota M7060 4WD
Dec 2, 2020
Kentucky
you have a restriction in the system, pre-filter somewhere

i've seen plenty of fittings plugged up in the separator, might take it off and eyeball all of the fittings

if you don't see nothing in the separator, follow the lines back where do they go? There is another separator, IIRC, further back behind where the loader arm is....pain to get to with the loader on as I remember. That one can get plugged too. Nothing in that one? May be something down inside the fuel tank, perhaps a leaf or something.

if open station tractor, the tank mounts in the back kinda behind the left rear wheel. because it's mounted where it is, it's not unusual for the steel "skid plate" and the two tank stays to get bent up by running over trees/rocks/mountains/etc and it can force the tank toward the transmission, which sometimes will pinch the lines between the tank and transmission. Haven't seen it on cab, just rops. One in particular. Tree service.
I only saw the one separator and couldn't figure out how to disassemble it.