M7040 & M7060 tillage ??

Longmeadow Farm

Nov 25, 2012
Fonda, New York
Does anyone have experience with either of these tractors pulling a 3x16 3pt plow. Any problems with the wheel spacing..front and rear??? Seems that the front furrow wheel would have to ride on the edge of the furrow constantly...and the 3 pt lower links may have to "crabbed" to the left at least an inch.. especially if the plow's cross-shaft is a cat 2. Comments..thanks

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I use a 3 X 14 3PH plow and it works just fine. However, a 3 X 16 might just be a little too much for the tractor. It is a bit light for that much drag (depending on soil and conditions of course). I've had the plow want to spin the tractor...tail wagging the dog type of thing.

The tires run in the furrow just as necessary and I have a CAT 2 cross shaft. However, the CAT 2 shaft is an addition that was welded in place of the CAT 1 OEM shaft. Turns out the CAT 1 pins were too short to be bushed and fit on the CAT 2 tractor's balls.

The right side of the CAT 2 shaft was lined up so the CAT 1 lift pin and the CAT 2 lift pin were in the same position.

Not sure if this information is of any help.

Attachments

Longmeadow Farm

Nov 25, 2012
Fonda, New York
Thanks GWD. That looks like a Series 101 Ford plow with Oliver bottoms. I owned one a number of years back and converted to a cat 2 using a John Deere cross-shaft. Surprisingly, it worked. Does your 7040 have cast rear wheels? According to the manual it adds 700 pounds. Without the 700 pounds I suspect a 3x14 would be a chore to drag behind and based on your experiences I would have to say my 3x16 Kvernland plow is out of the realm of possibility for a 7060. Thanks again for the feedback.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm no help with the plow but I'll testify to the advantage of cast centers. I ordered them for my 9000 and they make a big difference.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Thanks GWD. That looks like a Series 101 Ford plow with Oliver bottoms. I owned one a number of years back and converted to a cat 2 using a John Deere cross-shaft. Surprisingly, it worked. Does your 7040 have cast rear wheels? According to the manual it adds 700 pounds. Without the 700 pounds I suspect a 3x14 would be a chore to drag behind and based on your experiences I would have to say my 3x16 Kvernland plow is out of the realm of possibility for a 7060. Thanks again for the feedback.
Indeed, the plow in the photos is a Ford 101.

No cast rear wheels, just filled tires. The rears are not so much of an issue but the fronts will almost leave the ground unless the FEL bucket is on and the bucket has a load of dirt in it for a front counter-weight.

This is not a complaint about the tractor, just that it needs some "adjustments" to make sure it works perfectly. Plows work best behind weighty tractors as you already know.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The hp range of these tractors make it hard to remember they are just utility tractors, not row crop machines. My friends has a 85 hp NH tractor that outweighs my M9000 by at least 4K. The extra weight makes a huge difference when you have a plow hooked to the rear.

Longmeadow Farm

Nov 25, 2012
Fonda, New York
The hp range of these tractors make it hard to remember they are just utility tractors, not row crop machines. My friends has a 85 hp NH tractor that outweighs my M9000 by at least 4K. The extra weight makes a huge difference when you have a plow hooked to the rear.
Bulldog & GWD have made me reconsider and expand my options. I suspect my operation would be better served if I started looking at the M8560 or M9560 tractors. Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Bulldog & GWD have made me reconsider and expand my options. I suspect my operation would be better served if I started looking at the M8560 or M9560 tractors. Thanks
To be honest, other than hp there's not much difference between any of the models you mentioned. As far as weight goes they are almost all the same so when traction and handling a heavy plow is concerned the higher hp may not help. If it was me and breaking ground was what this tractor will be used for or doing row crop work I would look at the 108S or one of the X series tractors. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 8560 / 9560 can't pull a plow but after all the smoke clears they are still just utility class tractors. I love my 9000 but if I was still doing soy beans that wouldn't be my choice for my plow tractor. It would be great for planting or maybe a cultivator but would be to light for heavy plowing.

Now if the 3 bottom you listed was the biggest you plan to use I would say the 9560 would be a good choice. 10 more hp will make a difference so I would go with the bigger of the 2. If it was me I would order it with cast centers and have the rears fluid filled, night not even hurt to have the fronts filled as well. If you don't plan on getting a FEL I also suggest ordering it with 1000 lbs of weights for the front. I bought 1000 lbs for mine and add weight as needed, I leave 400 lbs on all the time. I hate to ramble on but just trying to be honest.