M7040 FEL occasionally slow lowering

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Yesterday I was handling some rd bales with my tractor with 1591 hrs & noticed after I moved a few bales the boom would get slower going down then it would return to normal speed. If I moved joystick to float position the boom always lowered much faster. Movement of joystick feels the same as it always has so I think cable is not the problem but I won't rule it out. I haven't changed the hyd filters in several 100 hrs of operation so I'll perform that task today but I would think clogged filters would also affect speed of lifting & power steering which doesn't seem affected. I'm also going to disconnect quick couplers on FEL & reattach although I have never removed FEL since I purchased tractor in 2012.
Thanks for any ideas or solutions,Jim

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jim, after reconnecting the couplers and change Hyd filters you'll hopefully have it corrected. If not it would almost have to be in the valve. Maybe something hanging up a valve spool.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Thanks for reply.
Update: I started engine this AM to load some bales raised boom then tried to lower boom & it lowered very slow. So hyd oil heat isn't the problem. Boom won't lower any faster with engine off either. Now I'm going to search parts schematic for a "check valve"!

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Thanks Dave
I'm fully aware my Kubota FEL has cable controlled valve. BUT I'll bet from all the hyd experience that I gained serving for 13+yrs as a farm equipment dealer service manager that my FEL's hyd problem is a clogged restrictor orifice. My 1st Kubota tractor with FEL which was a M4900 had FEL control valve cables with moisture in them that would freeze up when temp got below freezing. I have located the restrictors on Kubota parts website so I plan to dissemble hyd fittings on control valve & check for blockage.
Thanks again for your reply,Jim

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I offer this post from a short time ago regarding a dime.

Dave

Re: LA853 on L5030 lifts halfway
Thank you both for your responses. After repairing all the cylinder leaks and adjusting the control cables, things seem to be working as they should be. Apparently the lift side is supposed to dump through the BY port.

Dave, you are correct, it was impossible to get any flow without removing the load check valves. I also had to remove the dime that someone placed in the supply line to get any flow.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Dave
My employee started tractor yesterday & FEL operated correctly. He moved about 40 rd bales & boom lowered at correct speed. I didn't perform any diagnostic's due to old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Do you know where check valves are located. I saw "orifices" in LA1153 parts schematic that are attached to hyd valve but saw no check valves but it's possible I over looked them
Thanks,Jim

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Dave
My employee started tractor yesterday & FEL operated correctly. He moved about 40 rd bales & boom lowered at correct speed. I didn't perform any diagnostic's due to old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Do you know where check valves are located. I saw "orifices" in LA1153 parts schematic that are attached to hyd valve but saw no check valves but it's possible I over looked them
Thanks,Jim
Jim

There are "Load Checks" not simple check valves.
If you send me your email in a private message I will give you FEL WSM which has detailed operating illustrations.

Dave

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Dave
I recieved both emails containing WSM for my tractor & loader. Thank you very much for taking the time & effort to send them to me.
Thanks again,Jim