M7040 4wd problems

budlite8

Equipment
M7040
Nov 15, 2012
Arkansas
I have a 2011 M7040 4wd, my problem is that the 4wd stays engaged, I got under the tractor and physically took it out of 4wd, the light went off and all worked fine in 2wd. I was able to put it in and out of 4wd, but now it's back to staying in 4wd, I can pull up and down on the lever, but stays in 4wd, but I can go under the tractor and take it out, and it stays in 2wd until I use the lever to place it back in 4wd, then it stuck again! I think it may be something to do with the linkage, but this is in a very tight spot and I possible would have to remove the fuel tank to access it unless someone has a better idea.
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If it's a 2011, is it not covered under warranty?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
You don't explain what you do to get it out of 4WD while you are under the tractor. It must be moving a lever or some such maneuver.

The engagement/disengagement lever by the seat should move the same linkage that you do by hand. Look for a loose or missing pin.

If there is a turnbuckle for adjustment then that may be the issue.

Call the dealer and maybe he/she will send someone out for a look.

budlite8

Equipment
M7040
Nov 15, 2012
Arkansas
I have to move the linkage that is connected directly to the transfer case.. When I move the lever by the seat, the linkage by the transfer case does not move any..

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Have you tried moving the tractor forward a tad while using the lever to disengage the 4 wheel drive?

It could be that it just needs a little relief of the gears to release.

If that doesn't help then I would check the linkage to make sure it hasn't gotten bent, or lost a pin or the turnbuckle hasn't loosened a bit, or it could just be due for adjustment.

The adjustment turnbuckle should be under the tractor where it is pretty easy to get to.

Best Regards

Paul

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I have to move the linkage that is connected directly to the transfer case.. When I move the lever by the seat, the linkage by the transfer case does not move any..
Good. At least you have isolated the problem to be somewhere between the lever and the transfer case. It is not inside the case so can more easily be dealt with.

Something in the linkage has to be loose, binding, and/or out of adjustment. It sounds like you already know that to be the case. Now access is the issue.

I'll look at my M7040 later and see if there is a way to get to it that you may have overlooked. Something as "simple" as taking off the rear tire may open something up.

Since you have explored the dealer/warranty aspect you may want to call again and ask how to get to the linkage. All the dealer can say is "I won't tell" and you have lost nothing except the knowledge that another dealer will get your future business.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I dont know about the M series but my little beast wont come out of 4wd unless you are just moving a little bit, takes pressure off the grears I guess, same with Hi to Lo and back

r40kh

Nov 22, 2011
Canada
I just went through the same thing only mine wouldn't go into 4WD. I have the same tractor and it was the linkage that was sticking. The dealer removed the rear wheel and fuel tank to get at the linkage and they coated everything with white lithium grease. Has worked fine since repaired.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
^^^That post give me an idea. Maybe a rock, mud, or other debris has somehow affected the linkage.

If you have a power washer, stick it up under the gas tank and blast away for a while - maybe it will loosen something up. Later, hose it with WD-40 or the like.

It is worth a try before tearing into the tractor.

Grease will tend to pick up dirt and debris making it harder to remove in the future. But...whatever works.

The real question is: Did r40kh's dealer do the repair under warranty? Despite what the OP's dealer said it seem that if something is not working under the warranty period it is the dealer's responsibility to fix it.

r40kh

Nov 22, 2011
Canada
Yes, all done under warranty as the tractor is less tha a year old with only 50 hrs on it. The dealer was great ..sent up a trailer picked it up and was ready the next day