M7030 Clutch Squeeling

Yoda 7030

Equipment
1990 M7030. Front loader, back hoe, snowblower, discer, 3 furrow plough,
Oct 14, 2012
Walters Falls, Ontario
Recently I have experienced a loud high pitch squeel coming from the transmission area. As long as my foot is off the clutch pedal, it makes the noise. even sitting in Neutral. As soon as I touch the pedal with my foot the noise stops. If I'm moving and "lightly" ride the clutch, it also stops making the noise. There seems to be plenty of pull so I don't think the clutch is slipping. I think a little adjustment might solve my noise problem???? Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to adjust the clutch on a 1990 M7030? 4 wheel drive. Or does anyone know what my problem is with the tractor making this noise?

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think a little adjustment might solve my noise problem????
Yes, maybe at the expense of an uglier problem. I'd try greasing something first. Drop the clutch inspection plate (most models right side of clutch housing) and lube the throw-out bearing carrier. Inspect that there is nothing wonky with the clutch release fingers.
Is the noise the same under heavy load or heading downhill?
Usually the throw-out bearing (if bad or going) squeals when you apply pressure and is quiet when in motion. I'm suspecting the bearing carrier is dry and the input shaft is squealing inside the carrier, there's very few things moving when in neutral

Yoda 7030

Equipment
Oct 14, 2012
Walters Falls, Ontario
Thanks birddogger, I'll have a look inside the clutch housing if possible and see what I can find. It's still pretty cold up here in Central Ontario and we have quite a bit of snow so it might take me a couple weeks to get at it.. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the heads up... Russ

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Throwout bearing. Right now , it's just a clutch job, run it too long and it can do serious damage,busted case, broken trans input shaft, etc. Fix it now.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I was confused at first but I think ipz is right.

The throw out bearing is only designed for intermittent use. As the clutch wears the free play becomes smaller and eventually the throw out bearing remains in contact with the clutch fingers and is spinning constantly. The free play should normally be adjusted before it reaches that point. This is likely what's going on with your machine. The bearing has worn out because it's constantly turning and is now squealing when unloaded. It stops when some force is applied. At the very least adjust the linkage so it has some free play right now but ipz is right do a full clutch job soon.

There'll be a turnbuckle on the clutch linkage beneath the pedal. You want to lengthen the linkage with the turnbuckle til you can feel about 3\4" of free play at the top of the pedal before the throw out bearing contacts the clutch fingers.

Last edited:

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Throw-out bearings aren't that terribly fragile, but if freeplay has never been adjusted and greasing never been performed all bets are off.

Think of all those manual transmissions sitting in rush hour traffic, stop-n-go, standing on the clutch for hours a day...
Been using an L305 with original clutch and T-O bearing, 3800 hours when the counter broke. I guess your mileage may vary.

Yoda 7030

Equipment
Oct 14, 2012
Walters Falls, Ontario
Thank you for the information fellas, I'll get at it before I run her any more. I'm a bit of a cityiot and tractors are not my forte. My neighbour pointed out the cover plate for the clutch bearing and I will be removing it soon to have a look. Does anyone know if there will be any fluids to consider when I take the plate off or is it a dry compartment? I don't have a manual so I'm running a little blind...Thank you,

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Nope the compartment is dry. You have a two stage clutch so there are two clutch disc and two pressure plates. You'll see a grease fitting in there, stick a grease gun in there and give it a squirt or two. Be careful not to spill any grease from the zerk or use too much or you'll end up with grease all over your clutch discs.

Yoda 7030

Equipment
Oct 14, 2012
Walters Falls, Ontario
Turns out the inspection plate is on the bottom just above the front wheel driveshaft and a large steel protective plate. It was quite difficult to inspect and even harder to get ones hand up into the cavity. After looking around and not seeing any grease fitting, I spoke to a mechanic who told me the bearings are sealed... no grease fitting in these parts. I then spoke to another mechanic at my local Kubota dealer who told me they are a common problem and can start to squeel after ten years or so.... The best advise so far is to just drive the tractor until the clutch peddle starts to vibrate/shake when it's depressed or when the noise starts to wear you down... Then it's an expensive fix, $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 at the dealer. So there's not much I can do but live with it... just sayin!

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
The bearing is sealed, the carrier is what get the lube.
Now see that you have a front-loader on it, the cover could be hidden behind the F-L arm, but it is a dual stage clutch and needs internal adjustment in addition to the adjustment at the pedal.

Yoda 7030

Equipment
Oct 14, 2012
Walters Falls, Ontario
Thanks Birddogger, I'll have another look and see what I can find. My neighbour is pretty good with this stuff and once it warms up, we'll get into it.

By the way, what's the carrier? and where would I find it?

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I would give the clutch a little more free play. I have heard throw out bearings squeak if they are barely touching the clutch pressure plate fingers at the rest position on the pedal. Try that FIRST.
DON'T use the tractor and "ride" the clutch so as not to hear the squeak.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
birddogger is right. Most people think greasing the "throwout bearing" thru the side is greasing the bearings, but it's not. It's putting grease on the trans front collar (carrier) that the throwout bearing houseing slides back and forth on everytime you press the clutch pedal. Once that bearing starts squealing, it won't bet any better. ipz2222,, President and chief clean up man for , Fleet Transmission Inc.