M6040 won't go over 8 MPH

SoutheasternSon

Equipment
M6040
Sep 7, 2015
AL, USA
Hey y'all,
Friday I picked up a new to me M6040. 2009, 926 hours, FEL. Tractor shows some use but is overall pretty solid in my opinion. This is my first tractor, so I spent alot of time researching what to look for in a used tractor. My dad grew up on a tractor,but he has little experience with them in the past 20 years since he got out of cattle, but I had him with me for my purchase.

When I test drove the tractor the place I bought it from had a small parking lot, so I didn't get it into highway gear, didn't seem to be much of a issue at the time, but I might have made a mistake.

When I unloaded it off the trailer when we got it home, I put it in high range, 4th gear, hand throttle wide open, to drive it to the barn. 4.7 MPH. With the foot throttle I could get 7.7. The next day, I saw the stop screw at the foot throttle and took it out to see if it made a difference. 8.8 somewhere shy of 3000rpm.

Owners manual says I should be around 18 MPH in high, 4th gear. I'm not familiar with tractors so I'm not sure where to look.

Some info that might be relevant. Synchro-Shuttle transmission. Spent the morning Saturday playing with the front end loader moving some dirt and pushing up a brushpile. Left the tractor at my dad's, came back that evening, and the 3 point has lost all pressure, is at the lowest postion, won't raise and can be moved by hand. Hydraulic fluid was low, topped it off and no change. Will change filters Wednesday.

The hitch did work Saturday morning, but something happened during the day. FEL works fine. The place I bought it from deals in used tractors, they also do tractor repair. They didn't seem shady or anything, and told me if I have a question to call, which I probably will tomorrow. They said it didn't have anything wrong with it. The tractor had been serviced by them before I bought it.

My biggest concern is the top speed being 8 MPH. Could this be a clutch issue? It doesn't seem to be lacking power in the low range, but I'm not sure where to start.

I found this site while looking for a cause for the low speed and I figure this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks y'all

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Not sure if that model has a two speed rear end, but i would think if its in high gear it should go. Clutch slipping would be noticeable in low gear while pushing with the loader.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Not much help to you but what I can say is if the clutch was slipping so much that you lost more than half the top speed...after 4.7 miles you would have known it was the clutch!

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Should be a low and hi range, are you in high range? Or maybe there's a linkage issue that won't allow you into high range.

SoutheasternSon

Equipment
M6040
Sep 7, 2015
AL, USA
The manual doesn't say anything about a 2 speed rear end. How would it change between speeds?

It definitely is going from high to low. Playing with it the other day there was a noticeable difference between the two. The low range is a whole lot slower. It doesn't have a creeper gear so I know I'm moving from high to low.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Is reverse any faster? There's a clutch pack behind the flywheel, at the front of the transmission for your shuttle shift. I would say if you can't find a linkage issue, and it's going into high and low range like it should, that you have an internal issue. Time to start doing some pressure tests....

SoutheasternSon

Equipment
M6040
Sep 7, 2015
AL, USA
Well. When I got off work this morning, a guy I work with who is much more fluent in tractors than me came by and checked the tractor out.

He was more forceful with the shifter than me and lo and behold, I was only working two gears. He went over in the gear range and was going 13 mph across the pasture without even trying.

I guess we can chalk it up to not knowing what I was doing. I didn't want to force anything, so I only had 2 gears. Guess that's part of the learning process.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. This is a great forum yall have here and I plan on learning a lot more.

Thanks again yall.

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT and tractor ownership.
If you'll lubricate shift linkage hinge points under operator platform it should be easier to shift between low & high speeds or vice-verse.

SoutheasternSon

Equipment
M6040
Sep 7, 2015
AL, USA
Welcome to OTT and tractor ownership.
If you'll lubricate shift linkage hinge points under operator platform it should be easier to shift between low & high speeds or vice-verse.
10-4. That's the plan going forward. Gonna grab some dry lube so I don't attract dust and lube everything I can get my hands on.

Good to hear you solved the gear issue. Did you figure out what was going on with the 3 pt? Welcome and good luck on your new purchase.
Yes sir. It's pretty evident now that the tractor hasn't seen alot of regular use in a while. The lever for the remote hydraulics was REALLY stiff. Dad oiled it and while working it back and forth the cable broke, (but we didn't realize it) leaving the remote in either all the way in or out, which killed the 3 point. It will also cause the PTO and housing to get hot, in just a few minutes, which was another concern.

Once we got it in the right position, we cranked the PTO up and ran it for 30 minuets or so, and it was cool as a cucumber.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes.