M6040 crankcase oil capacity

hugho

Apr 27, 2012
jackson wy usa
I recently sold a mint low hour L3400 and used the money to buy a M6040 which I trailered back to Wyoming from South Dakota. Most of the maintenance was up to date but we need synthetic oil here in frigid wyoming. I tried to find the crankcase oil capacity in the manual and on the net, Tractor data lists it as 8.5 qts. Coleman equipment list 11.6 qts. I put in 11 qts and it was only 1/4" showing on the dipstick. I had to add another qt to hit the top mark. The dip stick is intact. what is the amount? Could I have the wrong dipstick? I also note that oil change intervals are 300 hours which seems too long to me. This would be equivalent to about 15000 miles on a car or truck. MY Kubota L45 is 200 hours and some tractors go to 150 hours. My Dodge Cummins with similar capacity recommends 6000 miles which is about 150 hours. Opinions on this?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I recently sold a mint low hour L3400 and used the money to buy a M6040 which I trailered back to Wyoming from South Dakota. Most of the maintenance was up to date but we need synthetic oil here in frigid wyoming. I tried to find the crankcase oil capacity in the manual and on the net, Tractor data lists it as 8.5 qts. Coleman equipment list 11.6 qts. I put in 11 qts and it was only 1/4" showing on the dipstick. I had to add another qt to hit the top mark. The dip stick is intact. what is the amount? Could I have the wrong dipstick? I also note that oil change intervals are 300 hours which seems too long to me. This would be equivalent to about 15000 miles on a car or truck. MY Kubota L45 is 200 hours and some tractors go to 150 hours. My Dodge Cummins with similar capacity recommends 6000 miles which is about 150 hours. Opinions on this?
Go by the dipstick, the specs are almost always wrong.

The Oil change interval is normal for Kubota engines, but do less if you want, it's not going to hurt it to change it more often. ;)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Check your private messages

Dave