M5N-091.... someone screwed up and it wasn't me.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
At the very Least Kubota should have installed a “Lock-Tab” on that bolt-head to give an indication it’s not to be ordinarily removed.
Sorta like the tamper proof torx they put on the injection pump, that people still remove?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sorta like the tamper proof torx they put on the injection pump, that people still remove?
Ok… YES…at least it notifies the person that it is not intended to be adjusted by the owner….no one moves that torx believing the WSM is addressing THAT Torx for adjustment…..right..??

When I bought my RTV from it’s original owner in almost “new“ condition….it idled so Rough…it Shook/Shaked/Rattled-and-Rolled…..

When I looked into that …I saw the safety-wiring and torq-seal on the idle adjustment screw on the fuel control was cut/removed/damaged. Clearly someone previous had tampered with what was NOT to be tampered-with.

I readjusted the idle to the recommended RPM and it immediately settled-down to a smooth idle.

Why did the PO do that..? Likely because he thought diesels should idle very slowly at some “barely-turning-over” rpm.

Wrong.

The WSM specifies a higher idle RPM for that engine than one might suppose.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Ok… YES…at least it notifies the person that it is not intended to be adjusted by the owner….no one moves that torx believing the WSM is addressing THAT Torx for adjustment…..right..??

When I bought my RTV from it’s original owner in almost “new“ condition….it idled so Rough…it Shook/Shaked/Rattled-and-Rolled…..

When I looked into that …I saw the safety-wiring and torq-seal on the idle adjustment screw on the fuel control was cut/removed/damaged. Clearly someone previous had tampered with what was NOT to be tampered-with.

I readjusted the idle to the recommended RPM and it immediately settled-down to a smooth idle.

Why did the PO do that..? Likely because he thought diesels should idle very slowly at some “barely-turning-over” rpm.

Wrong.

The WSM specifies a higher idle RPM for that engine than one might suppose.
Yea not all diesels are happy at the 600 rpm idle

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
One would think. I’m saying even if there was a lock tab on that bolt, someone working on it, in the heat of battle, would grab a punch and hammer to bend that tab back and remove bolt.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
One would think. I’m saying even if there was a lock tab on that bolt, someone working on it, in the heat of battle, would grab a punch and hammer to bend that tab back and remove bolt.
Usually changing front axle fluid isn't somthing you do in the "heat of battle" kind of days lol

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Usually changing front axle fluid isn't somthing you do in the "heat of battle" kind of days lol
True. And I’m on your side here, as most competent wrench spinners would see a security torx or lock tab and think, hmm… maybe I’m not supposed to remove that for regular service, yet many still do.
I probably would have removed that bolt too, thinking it was the check or drain. As it is in multiple manuals.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
True. And I’m on your side here, as most competent wrench spinners would see a security torx or lock tab and think, hmm… maybe I’m not supposed to remove that for regular service, yet many still do.
I probably would have removed that bolt too, thinking it was the check or drain. As it is in multiple manuals.
Atleast everything was easy to take apart to fix it