M5030 water pump

charliegates

Equipment
M5030su 1992 model
Nov 18, 2013
Polk County Florida
Hi, I am the proud owner of a highly used 1992 M5030su. The tractor would not even click when we first attempted to start it. We finally got it started and discovered the water pump was shot. The fan had a lot of wobble and I think it was hitting the fan shroud causing a lot of noise.

We have the water pump almost off except the bottom bolt that does not have enough room to leave it's hole because it backs out into the camshaft pulley. I think I have to remove the camshaft pulley. Has anyone did this job before?

Can I use a breaker bar and tap it with a hammer to get the big bolt holding the camshaft pulley off? Will the engine take the tapping without damage? Also can anyone recommend the best place to buy parts via internet?

Charlie

Attachments

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
First thing to learn is that you are dealing with the "crankshaft" pulley. Another example of a dumba$$ engineer that should have to do repairs on something they designed. Yes the crankshaft will take a breaker bar and BFH. Put the tractor in the highest gear, lock the brakes down and turn the engine with the socket until it won't turn anymore. If the socket won't go on all of the way, I think I saw a bend over locking tab you'll have to bend away from the bolt. Check the pulley just in case the dumba$$ wasn't and there is a notched out place to get the bolt out. Next thing is after you get the bolt out, don't hammer on the pulley and break it. You'll find tractor parts are gold plated, some times platinum.

I buy a lot of my tractor parts on ebay.

When in doubt, GET SOMEONE THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. You might save some money in the long run. Good luck.

Hi, I am the proud owner of a highly used 1992 M5030su. The tractor would not even click when we first attempted to start it. We finally got it started and discovered the water pump was shot. The fan had a lot of wobble and I think it was hitting the fan shroud causing a lot of noise.

We have the water pump almost off except the bottom bolt that does not have enough room to leave it's hole because it backs out into the camshaft pulley. I think I have to remove the camshaft pulley. Has anyone did this job before?

Can I use a breaker bar and tap it with a hammer to get the big bolt holding the camshaft pulley off? Will the engine take the tapping without damage? Also can anyone recommend the best place to buy parts via internet?

Charlie

charliegates

Equipment
M5030su 1992 model
Nov 18, 2013
Polk County Florida
I have now removed the crankcase pulley. The bolt securing the pulley is a 36 mm on my tractor. I was not able to keep the tractor from moving when I turned the crankcase bolt with the tractor in gear, with the brakes applied and it still moved. I finally wedged the breaker bar against the tractor frame and taped the starter. The bolt came right out. I was also able to pull the pulley of the spindle with just a few light taps. I will send pictures later.