M105X won't start, but turns over

MnDave

Equipment
m105x, m9960
Sep 21, 2019
Le Center, Mn,
I bought this tractor new in '06. Now it has a hickup, it runs just fine and when I shut it off and try to restart it all it does is turn over. I will wait a few minutes then it will go. And now after sitting a day it won't start at all. I will change out the fuel filter but it seems like more of a electric fuel shut off switch. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If I remember correctly (I sold my 105X early in the spring), it had a fuel cut solenoid on the pump. Mine never went bad but it did go bad on one of my M9000's. I replaced it with a Kubota solenoid but they are available on Flea-Bay for about 1/2 the cost of the OEM. Easy replacement, two bolts and a Molex connector and it's off.

I would put di-electric grease in the connector before connecting it to the new (whatever you get solenoid). My M9 exhibited the same issues as yours.. Turn the key to on and listen (by the injection pump). If you don't hear the solenoid energize (click) it's probably shot.

I think the OEM unit is around $100.00

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I bought this tractor new in '06. Now it has a hickup, it runs just fine and when I shut it off and try to restart it all it does is turn over. I will wait a few minutes then it will go. And now after sitting a day it won't start at all. I will change out the fuel filter but it seems like more of a electric fuel shut off switch. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Dave
It's got a failing, fuel solenoid, fuel solenoid wiring or fuel solenoid relay. ;)

MnDave

Equipment
m105x, m9960
Sep 21, 2019
Le Center, Mn,
I got a new solenoid and got the old one off but don't really know how to get the electric plug off. I tried lifting the tab and pried with a screw driver but still seems tight. I don't want to break the stupid thing so was wondering what the magic trick is to get it off. It don't help to work around the loader mounts either. Thanks

They won't let me post an image because I have only one post and need 5 posts to add a pic. I can email a pic if you like.

MnDave

Equipment
m105x, m9960
Sep 21, 2019
Le Center, Mn,
I got a new solenoid and got the old one off but don't really know how to get the electric plug off. I tried lifting the tab and pried with a screw driver but still seems tight. I don't want to break the stupid thing so was wondering what the magic trick is to get it off. It don't help to work around the loader mounts either. Thanks

They won't let me post an image because I have only one post and need 5 posts to add a pic. I can email a pic if you like.
New solenoid didn't do it, so will check further.

MnDave

Equipment
m105x, m9960
Sep 21, 2019
Le Center, Mn,
This tractor is giving me fits. I bought it new in '06 and have a bit over 2200 hrs on it used mostly for loader work and some pto work. Always shedded and always ran good. Now this problem arose. The dealer can't get anyone out here till next week so I'm brain storming in the meantime.

I changed out the fuel shutoff solenoid, new fuel filter and replaced the water strainer filter, by the way I have only cleaned that once, but this time the strainer was collapsed and distorted out of shape, so was wondering why that happened?? Was the pump sucking so hard it collapsed it?? After replacing with a new one and primed the system the plastic canister filled right up with fuel.

I am looking at the lines coming out of the bottom of the tank and will take them off to see if fuel flows.

Mention has been made about a fuel solenoid relay, where is that located?

MnDave

Equipment
m105x, m9960
Sep 21, 2019
Le Center, Mn,
I checked the voltage on the fuel shutoff solenoid plug and one side had hardly no juice and the other side had lots but the fuse in the fuse box is good.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
This tractor is giving me fits. I bought it new in '06 and have a bit over 2200 hrs on it used mostly for loader work and some pto work. Always shedded and always ran good. Now this problem arose. The dealer can't get anyone out here till next week so I'm brain storming in the meantime.

I changed out the fuel shutoff solenoid, new fuel filter and replaced the water strainer filter, by the way I have only cleaned that once, but this time the strainer was collapsed and distorted out of shape, so was wondering why that happened?? Was the pump sucking so hard it collapsed it?? After replacing with a new one and primed the system the plastic canister filled right up with fuel.

I am looking at the lines coming out of the bottom of the tank and will take them off to see if fuel flows.

Mention has been made about a fuel solenoid relay, where is that located?
The key stop solenoid relay is right above the steering controller

jwsullins

Equipment
Kubota Tractor
Aug 20, 2021
Oklahoma
The key stop solenoid relay is right above the steering controller
So, i am getting power to one side of the fuel stop solenoid which appears to be the switch for pulling the coil but I dont get power on the other side which would be the holding coil. What or where should I look next. M105X. Tractor starts and runs just fine but will not turn off by the key i have to use the emergency lever that chokes the tractor out

moesfarm

May 22, 2013
Fayetteville TN
Watching. I have a M105X i bought new in 05. I have not had any major problems with the fuel system. I often wonder what purpose all the fuel lines have with all the check valves etc.