LX3520 or L3302?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That's a fairly significant "other" for many people, particularly those that want to run a front mount snow blower. Then there's the option for a mid mount mower which many like along with a little more hp at the PTO. The LX has quite a bit more 3-point lift capacity too. The LX3520 base price is around $3.5k higher right which is starting to make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Why would anyone chose an LX3520 instead of a L3302 - other than the mid pto?
Lighter. Some people need to trailer, some people are doing work around their property that doesn't need weight (such as mowing).

Option for a cab. Some people want/need a cab.

Better ergonomics, more luxury features. Some people don't want a bigger/heavier but more economy machine. They want a smaller, lighter, more luxury machine. And that's a valid choice.

Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Lighter. Some people need to trailer, some people are doing work around their property that doesn't need weight (such as mowing).

Better ergonomics, more luxury features. Some people don't want a bigger/heavier but more economy machine. They want a smaller, lighter, more luxury machine. And that's a valid choice.
Agreed. Well stated.

Mike

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Once you shove a mid mount mower under an LX the weight discrepancy between it and an L with a 3-point or pull type mower in terms of ground pressure starts to shrink. The point about trailering is also not much of an issue given the weight of either. A 7k trailer would be fine for either with plenty of overhead for an implement or two.

The factory cab option on the LX is the biggest and most significant difference in my world.

Typically an X denotes a cross-over tractor between two model lines so it's odd that the LX has "better ergonomics, more luxury features" than the standard L. In the case of the MX, it's a gateway drug to the M series. Not as much money put into the nice-to-have features, but putting more into the utility. I couldn't care less about the transmission in the L60 series tractors, but the layout of the cab is something that I do miss. But I'll take bigger and heavier with less luxury over smaller, lighter and more luxury every time.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The LX has quite a bit more 3-point lift capacity too.
How much are you calling significant and what is the source? But, wouldn't the LX have more issues carrying more weight in the rear since it is quite a bit lighter than the L.

I'd consider a Grand L 3560 Limited Edition and add the larger loader over either the LX3520 or L3302 for an open cab if I was going DPF.

A cab is nice as an LX option but that raises the center of gravity quite a bit on a light tractor. If you are on fairly level ground that might not be a problem. If a cab is required, consider the MX which has enough weight to offset the extra weight of a cab.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Once you shove a mid mount mower under an LX the weight discrepancy between it and an L with a 3-point or pull type mower in terms of ground pressure starts to shrink.
A 3pt mower would weigh more than the belly mower in transport mode. The LX belly mower is ground contact, so the weight of it isn't on the LX wheels when mowing.

Different people have different needs. The LX is a reasonable amount lighter than the L - in fact, that's one of the limitations (as well as benefits) of the LX. Some people don't want to haul as much as an L, for other people it doesn't matter. Horses for courses.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How much are you calling significant and what is the source? But, wouldn't the LX have more issues carrying more weight in the rear since it is quite a bit lighter than the L.

I'd consider a Grand L 3560 Limited Edition and add the larger loader over either the LX3520 or L3302 for an open cab if I was going DPF.

A cab is nice as an LX option but that raises the center of gravity quite a bit on a light tractor. If you are on fairly level ground that might not be a problem. If a cab is required, consider the MX which has enough weight to offset the extra weight of a cab.
According to the spec sheets on Kubota.com the difference in 3-point lift capacity of the L3302 is 1,998 lb at the lift points compared to the LX3520 which has a capacity of 2,535 lb at the lift points. The capacity of the LX 24" behind the lift points is close to the capacity of the L at the lift points.

I would agree re the recommendation of an MX. I was moving dirt in the M bucket (fully loaded) this afternoon and the MX had no trouble coming up the hill and was as stable as could be.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The LX belly mower is ground contact, so the weight of it isn't on the LX wheels when mowing.
Good to know. I thought the wheels were the standard anti-scalp variety. That mid mount mower is an expensive option at $3,700.

lx3520.jpg

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
The MMM on the LX4020 can use the older RCK60-30 BA / BB, but it will need an adapter kit per my dealer. I am also looking at the LX4020 or the L3560LE or L4060LE. If I stick to the LX I can use the attachments I bought for my LX2610 without upsizing. I’m also trying to decide between the BX2680 or the B2601 for lawn care. Two tractor sale has my dealer more excited than my Beagle with a rabbit in his mouth.

Tonka

Jun 13, 2023
usa
Why would anyone ever want to run a belly mower on a tractor? If I'm gonna mow, I'd grab a zero turn. I used to mow my property with a 72" finish mower back east. Bought a Gravely Zero turn and mowed 3 acres in half the time as a tractor.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you want to mow, buy a quality zero turn. Nothing is a fast.
I don't mow, I cut using either a 7ft rotary cutter or 5ft flail, and soon a 12ft folding cutter. The fields I cut would be brutal with a zero turn given how rough they are. Small wheels and holes is never any fun.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The MMM on the LX4020 can use the older RCK60-30 BA / BB, but it will need an adapter kit per my dealer. I am also looking at the LX4020 or the L3560LE or L4060LE. If I stick to the LX I can use the attachments I bought for my LX2610 without upsizing. I’m also trying to decide between the BX2680 or the B2601 for lawn care. Two tractor sale has my dealer more excited than my Beagle with a rabbit in his mouth.
Sounds like you have a lot to think about. I'm a fan of the two tractor route.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Good to know. I thought the wheels were the standard anti-scalp variety. That mid mount mower is an expensive option at $3,700.
It is. But it's 72 inch and very heavy duty. It'll take way more punishment than any box store rider will. If you're dropping the money for an LX with a cab, the mower isn't really that much more.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Why would anyone ever want to run a belly mower on a tractor? If I'm gonna mow, I'd grab a zero turn. I used to mow my property with a 72" finish mower back east. Bought a Gravely Zero turn and mowed 3 acres in half the time as a tractor.
Lots of reasons people might want to have a belly mower. Not everyone is the same. Plenty of people like to tell people to buy a zero turn, or buy a cheap riding mower. But just because it works for them, doesn't mean it works for everyone.

I mow 5km of roadside with my B2601 and belly mower. I mow things that a zero turn wouldn't mow, and I wouldn't want to be driving a zero turn on the road the way I drive my tractor. I also wouldn't be able to get a zero turn up and down the ditches I drive through to get to some of the areas I mow.

In the large areas of flat grass that I mow (including about 2 acres of community reserve), the B2601 does fine. I mow about as fast as my back can handle, and I'm pretty sure my B rides smoother than a zero turn would - I think I'd be shaken apart trying to do that on a zero turn.

If I had a manicured lawn then a zero turn might make sense. But I couldn't get a zero turn for the price of the mower deck on my tractor. I have nowhere to park two machines. I have tasks that my tractor does that a zero turn cannot do.

If we're imagining that we all have unlimited parking and unlimited money, then I'd have an F thanks very much, that's much more of a mowing weapon than any zero turn will ever be.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Lots of reasons people might want to have a belly mower. Not everyone is the same. Plenty of people like to tell people to buy a zero turn, or buy a cheap riding mower. But just because it works for them, doesn't mean it works for everyone.

I mow 5km of roadside with my B2601 and belly mower. I mow things that a zero turn wouldn't mow, and I wouldn't want to be driving a zero turn on the road the way I drive my tractor. I also wouldn't be able to get a zero turn up and down the ditches I drive through to get to some of the areas I mow.

In the large areas of flat grass that I mow (including about 2 acres of community reserve), the B2601 does fine. I mow about as fast as my back can handle, and I'm pretty sure my B rides smoother than a zero turn would - I think I'd be shaken apart trying to do that on a zero turn.

If I had a manicured lawn then a zero turn might make sense. But I couldn't get a zero turn for the price of the mower deck on my tractor. I have nowhere to park two machines. I have tasks that my tractor does that a zero turn cannot do.

If we're imagining that we all have unlimited parking and unlimited money, then I'd have an F thanks very much, that's much more of a mowing weapon than any zero turn will ever be.
The problem with a mmm deck is that they limit the use of the tractor for other uses, and aren’t fun to remove and install.

Reactions: 2 users

Tonka

Jun 13, 2023
usa

Zero turn is still better

Tonka

Jun 13, 2023
usa
I don't mow, I cut using either a 7ft rotary cutter or 5ft flail, and soon a 12ft folding cutter. The fields I cut would be brutal with a zero turn given how rough they are. Small wheels and holes is never any fun.
But you're not using a belly mower on that stuff either