LX3310 let me down today

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Anybody ever have a ignition switch go bad? Put the key in and turn and nothing. Part is ordered and hopefully here by Friday. The key goes all the way to the right with hardly any resistance. There is no first position ( like when you use your glow plugs ), hopefully it is an easy fix.

Firefox

Equipment
2650 hst cab,fel,72mmm,48lp forks,48 tiller,PeCo vac,wt box
Mar 15, 2018
Swanton ,Oh
Anybody ever have a ignition switch go bad? Put the key in and turn and nothing. Part is ordered and hopefully here by Friday. The key goes all the way to the right with hardly any resistance. There is no first position ( like when you use your glow plugs ), hopefully it is an easy fix.
Had that happen to my b-2650 once. Reached in the cab, put the key in and twist-no resistance!!! I put the cab key in instead and it would not come out!!! Finally after removing ignition switch( with the wrong key) from dash,got it to release the key. I will not do that again. lol

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you live in a cold climate first suspect condensation freezing within the lock and try treating it with lock de-icer before concluding it has failed. Not every instance of a frozen lock presents the same symptoms.

You might get a nice surprise...........

Dave

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Update, the new key switch failed to work out of the box. After plugging and unplugging and inserting key and turning at least 20 times it began working as it should. First position, click, second position (start). The guy helping me figured that in shipping the key switch got tossed around and it just needed some coaxing to come around. We also were able to get the original switch working again by doing the same fiddling. Hopefully this is an anomaly and I am good for the next 20 years or so. The old JD 770 was very good to me.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sometimes..... spraying electrical parts cleaner in the key hole frees them up (good for the 'quick fix') but at the expense of rinsing away lubricant. I've had very good luck over the years, carefully taking them apart, cleaning, proper lubrication, clean contacts and dielectric grease on them. The pins are different lengths!

Reactions: 1 user

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Sometimes..... spraying electrical parts cleaner in the key hole frees them up (good for the 'quick fix') but at the expense of rinsing away lubricant. I've had very good luck over the years, carefully taking them apart, cleaning, proper lubrication, clean contacts and dielectric grease on them. The pins are different lengths!
That sounds above my abilities, lol

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: The guy helping me figured that in shipping the key switch got tossed around and it just needed some coaxing to come around. We also were able to get the original switch working again by doing the same fiddling
Great..didn't work, 'right out of the box', sigh. Shipping caused it to fail ?? Wow, just wait till you're at the back of the back 40 and try to start it........
'fiddling' may have just moved some of the excess grease off the copper contacts, allowing current to flow, My 3 D-14s still have their ORIGINAL ignition switches in them,all work fine. Sadly they don't things like they used to.....
Keep your old one as a spare, store in the 'normal' mounting position.