LX2620HSTC?

Garrick

Equipment
L4610, BX2360
May 5, 2024
New Salem, MA
All done with my backhoe projects, so looking to consolidate mowing duties of BX2360 with 4' finish mower and landscape duties of my L4610 with Woods 9' hoe into one newer machine. Considering LX2610HSDC, with a 6' snow pusher with back drag, and 5' finish mower. Some questions.

1. Tires - turf or R14? Some mowing is sandy conditions and side hills, I'm leaning towards turf so it won't tear that up. I know the cab model will have higher center of gravity for the side hills, and recommended to avoid, but thinking 2" wheel spacers should help. I have lots of experience mowing sidehills and know to steer downhill at first sign of tipping. Please don't suggest skipping the cab, I'll want it for winter. Also trying to get away from plowing with my truck as gravel drive seems less likely to be frozen in recent winters.

2. Looks like LX3310's are done, stepping up to the LX3520HSDC is now a much pricier difference than stepping up to the LX3310 used to be. Am I going to regret not having the extra power for these uses? Not overly concerned about the extra weight for mowing. I was mowing with a big finish mower behind the L4610 at one point, just put old truck tires on spare rims for the front to be able to turn without tearing up the lawn.

TIA!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Welcome aboard! While it's been tempting to try turfs or R14's, the R4's have been working too well for me on 3 different tractors. Should note that I grooved mine and it does make a difference in the snow and ice. No sandy soil here, but mow some sidehills at around 18°.

What implements will you want to use? How much hilly or sloped terrain do you have to deal with? Our current tractor was sized 10HP larger than the last because I arbitrarily upped it by 5HP for a wider RFM and another 5HP to run the A/C. Seems about right.

Garrick

Equipment
L4610, BX2360
May 5, 2024
New Salem, MA
Welcome aboard! While it's been tempting to try turfs or R14's, the R4's have been working too well for me on 3 different tractors. Should note that I grooved mine and it does make a difference in the snow and ice. No sandy soil here, but mow some sidehills at around 18°.

What implements will you want to use? How much hilly or sloped terrain do you have to deal with? Our current tractor was sized 10HP larger than the last because I arbitrarily upped it by 5HP for a wider RFM and another 5HP to run the A/C. Seems about right.
Thanks for the welcome, and reply. I'll be using FEL, snow pusher, 5' RFM, pallet forks, and eventually a snow plow (truck currently handles that duty). I think your suggestion of more power for the AC makes a lot of sense. After more research I'm leaning toward the LX3520, both for that and the extra weight lower on the machine. A little galling that they raised the price point for the power increase to about $15,000 when it used to be more like $10,000, but I'm hearing they addressed the transmission noise among other things. I mow about 4 acres, and about a third of that is pretty hilly.

Been watching some videos about tires, and noticed grooving the R4's like you did was mentioned. I would use my L4610 with R4 to push back snow banks when we got big snow, and it could slide around pretty good on any side slope. Super stable with a Woods 9' hoe on the back though. Recently retired, so this will likely be the last tractor I buy - I think figuring out the tires between R14 or turf R3 is the last thing I need to do. Would love suggestions from those who have run both in the snow. I'd go with the R14 if they are truly better.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
For mowing 4 acres, I'd want at least a 6'RFM. It would be best to go with a lighter weight RFM since you have hills and will be running A/C When we first lived here we had about 2-1/4 acres and it took between 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 hours with different 5 footers. Several years ago we added some yard to bring it to 3-1/2 acres, a larger tractor and a 7-1/2' RFM. I can mow the 3-1/2 acres with the larger deck in the same amount of time it took to do the 2-1/4 acres with the 5' deck. One time I was in a hurry and did it in an hour flat (but it bordered on equipment abuse).

I have an 8' plow that works with the grooved R4's. The link below (see post #22) is a short writeup on the performance of the grooved tires. I do our place, a couple parking lots at the church, and occasionally a driveway on the way to the church if I see someone shoveling.

Attachments

Garrick

Equipment
L4610, BX2360
May 5, 2024
New Salem, MA
For mowing 4 acres, I'd want at least a 6'RFM. It would be best to go with a lighter weight RFM since you have hills and will be running A/C When we first lived here we had about 2-1/4 acres and it took between 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 hours with different 5 footers. Several years ago we added some yard to bring it to 3-1/2 acres, a larger tractor and a 7-1/2' RFM. I can mow the 3-1/2 acres with the larger deck in the same amount of time it took to do the 2-1/4 acres with the 5' deck. One time I was in a hurry and did it in an hour flat (but it bordered on equipment abuse).

I have an 8' plow that works with the grooved R4's. The link below (see post #22) is a short writeup on the performance of the grooved tires. I do our place, a couple parking lots at the church, and occasionally a driveway on the way to the church if I see someone shoveling.

Thanks for the link - looks like some good endorsements for the R3 in snow, though I'm glad the grooving is working for you.

I don't mind if the 5' RFM takes me a bit longer. Lots of uneven ground, so don't want to go too wide. I expect matching the width of the tractor to be easiest to gauge the cut.

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
My dealer got his first LX2620 in and I went down to look at it today. It is basically a B size machine and the cab seemed really tight to me. Doesn't come with any rear remotes and the loader handle is just a small round ball with no third function buttons. Seat wasn't to bad though. Still has the narrow front end and looked like it would definitely need spacers for any type of work on hills as I saw a post on here that Kubota says don't load the tires using the loader. Going back to drive it next week when I have more time. I really want to like it but seems overpriced for what it is when you add remotes, tires, and spacers. Should be OK for mowing and not leave tracks seeing how lightweight it is compared to competition.

Reactions: 1 user

Garrick

Equipment
L4610, BX2360
May 5, 2024
New Salem, MA
My dealer got his first LX2620 in and I went down to look at it today. It is basically a B size machine and the cab seemed really tight to me. Doesn't come with any rear remotes and the loader handle is just a small round ball with no third function buttons. Seat wasn't to bad though. Still has the narrow front end and looked like it would definitely need spacers for any type of work on hills as I saw a post on here that Kubota says don't load the tires using the loader. Going back to drive it next week when I have more time. I really want to like it but seems overpriced for what it is when you add remotes, tires, and spacers. Should be OK for mowing and not leave tracks seeing how lightweight it is compared to competition.
Thanks for letting me know your impression of the cab size. If you check the specs, you'll see the B series isn't much wider than a BX; The LX series is about half a foot wider.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Thanks for letting me know your impression of the cab size. If you check the specs, you'll see the B series isn't much wider than a BX; The LX series is about half a foot wider.
I guess I am comparing the size to the Kioti CK3520 cab I test drove that felt a little taller and wider. The LX just felt tight to me and harder to get in but I didn't spend a lot of time in it. You may feel differently because I am sizeable. I am waiting to see how quiet it is in there with the changes but am leaning toward the Kioti now that had no whine and wasn't very loud at 2400 rpm for pto use.

Garrick

Equipment
L4610, BX2360
May 5, 2024
New Salem, MA
I guess I am comparing the size to the Kioti CK3520 cab I test drove that felt a little taller and wider. The LX just felt tight to me and harder to get in but I didn't spend a lot of time in it. You may feel differently because I am sizeable. I am waiting to see how quiet it is in there with the changes but am leaning toward the Kioti now that had no whine and wasn't very loud at 2400 rpm for pto use.
Good to know, I'm average size. I heard the LX2620 didn't get the transmission upgrade; just the 3520 and 4020.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I don't think they were ever the same rear drive with the 11.2mph top speed of the 2620 and 17mph for the 35 and 40. I doubt he 2620 would be fast enough to be a good mid mount mower. Probably would be a great snowblower with the mid pto. Definitely a nice upgrade from a BX with more capabilities and comfort.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
You can't get the 15-19.5 tires I wanted on the cab model I found so took it off my list now. Wish the L2502 came with a factory cab. Only choice left in the price range non dpf for me is the other orange or red brand.

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3520. Landpride RCR1272,RB1684,SPL1072,FDR1672, westward tiller
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hi there. I have the new lx3520. Just thought I would give my 2cents they are a really nice machine lots of power I run basically all 72inch implements. Just finished mowing the lawn with the r14 besides a couple really sharp turns did really good for not ripping it up