Lug wrench for L2501 rear tires (and front)

Ricky Steele

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77
Nov 8, 2020
Edmond, Oklahoma
Any advice on a sturdy lug wrench for the rear tires on my L2501? Lugs look to be 15/16.

I'm hauling the tractor out to some property about 150 miles from home (on weekends) and would like to be prepared to remove a rear tire for repair if needed.

Thanks!
Ricky

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
and a nice piece of pipe:LOL:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Good advice. Between the tractor and implements you’ll eventually need a variety of sockets in the 1/2 drive range and maybe a few in the 3/4 drive range. If you buy them one at a time as you need them they’ll cost about 10x what a set costs. The pipe won’t come with a set but unless you’re a gorilla, you’ll need it.

My father gave me a 300 piece Craftsman mechanic tool set when I turned 18. Even in hindsight, best gift ever. Busted a 15/16 socket messing with my chipper and of course Lowe’s has taken over Craftsman from Sears so I go to Lowe’s for the replacement since there’s a lifetime guarantee. Sears would just take the busted one and hand you another. Not Lowe’s. Stood in line 30 minutes (fine with that, they were busy). Big sign says to go to the Craftsman website to handle warranty claims. I got a smart phone and nothing better to do so I go to the website and check it out. Website says if the retailer (Lowe’s) has it in stock return to them. If they don’t, return directly to Craftsman via some shipping procedure. Makes sense: If it’s a 15/16 socket return to Lowe’s; If it’s a 1 1/2” drive torque multiplier ship it to Craftsman. Next step, go to my Lowe’s app, find out they have about twenty 15/16 sockets in stock at the store I’m in. Make it up to the counter and the young lady tells me they don’t handle replacements, points to the sign, and tells me to go to the website. Told her I did and it told me to see her. She says that’s only for in stock items and they don’t have any. Told her the app says they have about 20. My wife, who is a semi-professional return artist who has embarrassed me in similar situations a couple thousand times, tells me to let it go. I tell her and Lowe’s lady, no. If Lowe’s lady doesn’t know how to handle this, “I don’t know but I’ll find out” is a respectable answer. “Go to the website” and “we don’t have any” without checking stock ain’t cutting it. Lowe’s lady then says, “Fine. How long have you owned this?” After some mental math told her 35 years. She says she can’t believe I’m returning a 35 year old socket (and not in a nice way). Pointed to the sign saying lifetime warranty and told her I’m still alive and they owe me a $5 socket. Finally she calls an Assistant Manager who shows her how to ring up the transaction, which was the whole reason she didn’t want to deal with me.

I’m not sure there was a point to that other than my wife is watching some crap on TV I’m not interested in and if you’re going to use them a lot, lifetime warranties can be a good thing. My 1/2” ratchet hasn’t been abused but it’s seen some hard use. I’m on the third or maybe fourth now and I’ve never paid for one.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Your tractor has metric hardware. The rear wheels are either 26 or 28 mm, I forget which. They torque to 160 pounds, I believe. You'll need the socket, an extension, and a healthy breaker bar. A torque wrench for reassembly is a nice touch. You should check your loader torque from time to time, too. This guy has lots of good info:

Reactions: 1 user

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Good advice. Between the tractor and implements you’ll eventually need a variety of sockets in the 1/2 drive range and maybe a few in the 3/4 drive range. If you buy them one at a time as you need them they’ll cost about 10x what a set costs. The pipe won’t come with a set but unless you’re a gorilla, you’ll need it.

My father gave me a 300 piece Craftsman mechanic tool set when I turned 18. Even in hindsight, best gift ever. Busted a 15/16 socket messing with my chipper and of course Lowe’s has taken over Craftsman from Sears so I go to Lowe’s for the replacement since there’s a lifetime guarantee. Sears would just take the busted one and hand you another. Not Lowe’s. Stood in line 30 minutes (fine with that, they were busy). Big sign says to go to the Craftsman website to handle warranty claims. I got a smart phone and nothing better to do so I go to the website and check it out. Website says if the retailer (Lowe’s) has it in stock return to them. If they don’t, return directly to Craftsman via some shipping procedure. Makes sense: If it’s a 15/16 socket return to Lowe’s; If it’s a 1 1/2” drive torque multiplier ship it to Craftsman. Next step, go to my Lowe’s app, find out they have about twenty 15/16 sockets in stock at the store I’m in. Make it up to the counter and the young lady tells me they don’t handle replacements, points to the sign, and tells me to go to the website. Told her I did and it told me to see her. She says that’s only for in stock items and they don’t have any. Told her the app says they have about 20. My wife, who is a semi-professional return artist who has embarrassed me in similar situations a couple thousand times, tells me to let it go. I tell her and Lowe’s lady, no. If Lowe’s lady doesn’t know how to handle this, “I don’t know but I’ll find out” is a respectable answer. “Go to the website” and “we don’t have any” without checking stock ain’t cutting it. Lowe’s lady then says, “Fine. How long have you owned this?” After some mental math told her 35 years. She says she can’t believe I’m returning a 35 year old socket (and not in a nice way). Pointed to the sign saying lifetime warranty and told her I’m still alive and they owe me a $5 socket. Finally she calls an Assistant Manager who shows her how to ring up the transaction, which was the whole reason she didn’t want to deal with me.

I’m not sure there was a point to that other than my wife is watching some crap on TV I’m not interested in and if you’re going to use them a lot, lifetime warranties can be a good thing. My 1/2” ratchet hasn’t been abused but it’s seen some hard use. I’m on the third or maybe fourth now and I’ve never paid for one.
Sounds a lot like the stories I got out of Sears years ago before they went out of business. (Probably why they went out). Took 4 months to get a replacement TV after the service guy had replaced 90% of the parts in a 48" TV. Had to finally get hold of some kind of veep in charge of warrantee on TVs in the Sears tower. Long story short, he got me fixed up in three days with a new TV to his credit.

Other time I returned a broke torque wrench and was told they only cover sockets in their lifetime warrantee. I swore off them at that time and forbid the wife to ever darken their door again. Not sure she heeded but I never did.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yep. I'd go with the HF 3/4 set. I don't like to put too much stress on the cheap stuff (and myself) and you'll need the breaker bar to keep from wrecking the ratchet. And a cheater pipe. If you don't need it on the tractor, you eventually will on an attachment.

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Not to hijack too much, but I just did this today trying to get off my rear wheels. My air impact wrench won't touch it, and I snapped a no-name 1/2" extension on bolt number 2. I am guessing this is normal? Wowzer that's seriously on there. Not sure what to do if I break another extension. Any helpful ideas?

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not to hijack too much, but I just did this today trying to get off my rear wheels. My air impact wrench won't touch it, and I snapped a no-name 1/2" extension on bolt number 2. I am guessing this is normal? Wowzer that's seriously on there. Not sure what to do if I break another extension. Any helpful ideas?
Use a torque multiplier or a larger size socket set like 1 inch and a shorter extension if possible

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Tractors and equipment sure add items to your tool box, I can not believe how often I use the 3/4 set, I have a 4' breaker bar in 3/4 drive and a 6' length of heavy cheater pipe. Too many newer socket sets have a mixture of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive, my recommendation is to buy a good comprehensive set of 1/2" drive, I'm using a set I purchased when I had my first car at 16, they are over 40 years old!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Not knowing you experience I do not mean to insult you. If you can get a heavier socket set. Use a 6 point socket if you can. Do not jack up the tractor yet. Then place a jackstand next to the wheel. Adjust the stand so that the socket is on the bolt head and the extension is level attach a breaker bar on the extension so that you can push down on the breaker bar. The end of the extension being supported will make a big difference in the transferring of the power to twist the bolt.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Use a torque multiplier or a larger size socket set like 1 inch and a shorter extension if possible
Or at least a good-name 1/2" extension and breaker bar. Quit abusing that ratchet before you ruin it, if you haven't already :mad:. ( :) )

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
I don't have nothing bigger than 1/2" and some missing bits at that. I have been on the lookout for a deal on an old quality set of 3/4 or 1". I will see about getting a decent breaker bar, another extension, a jack stand and a beer holder. I only had a 30" cheater on that wrench, it shouldn't have broken.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
You got some good tips above, try that first - definitely a breaker bar. I actually had some nuts on so tight that I ruined a breaker bar, so if you have something that stuck on, what helped me was heating the nut with a butane torch - be careful to keep the heat focused on the nut - it will expand and loosen a little, might be just enough to break it free.

But don't do that until you've tried everything else suggested first.