Low transmission oil after 50 hr

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
I had the dealer do the 50 hr service. This weekend I decided to check fluids after using it about 10 hrs after service. The small plastic dipstick for the transmission was dry. I haven’t added any more yet as I need to get some tomorrow so I don’t know how much is currently in there.

Is it likely that I did any damage? Obviously this is not good from a dealer. They had better provide some fluid and hopefully most of it wasn’t gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
First thing, give the machine a good going over and check for any leaks/drips.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I had the dealer do the 50 hr service. This weekend I decided to check fluids after using it about 10 hrs after service. The small plastic dipstick for the transmission was dry. I haven’t added any more yet as I need to get some tomorrow so I don’t know how much is currently in there.

Is it likely that I did any damage? Obviously this is not good from a dealer. They had better provide some fluid and hopefully most of it wasn’t gone.

Did you check anything after the dealer changed everything?
I bet the dealer placed in "x" amount of oil - and did not check the dipstick.
OR.....hope this is not true, the mechanic pulled the plug, added oil and then got distracted and did not finish!:(

On my BX - I got it new, and it was low from Day 1!

Placing S-UDT2 in it?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My BX was also low after a little bit of use when new. Guessing an air bubble.
A quart brought it from below the dipstick to full.

Last edited:

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
Thank you everyone. I’m confident that I have no leaks as I have it parked in my garage and see nothing.

I went by dealerships on my way to work today. The shop was a mess. No one could tell me what kind of fluid they use. Eventually a guy dug in a garbage barrel and pulled out a bottle of super UDT2 so I am going to assume at least they use that in the shop. After getting little data in service I went to parts and they gave me a gallon bottle of super udt2. I’ll find out tonight how much it takes. Hopefully just a top off.

Thanks again.

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Did they have any comment on the apparent failure to check, add and assure fluid level was correct before signing off on service? Man, I think I would look for another authorized service facility.

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
Did they have any comment on the apparent failure to check, add and assure fluid level was correct before signing off on service? Man, I think I would look for another authorized service facility.

I was at the shop 15 minutes before their hours of opening so boss wasn’t there yet. I will either call today and talk to him and follow up with an email for documentation. I’m inclined to see how much it is going to take first.

Assuming they only changed the tranny filter at the 50 hr and didn’t check the fluid after they did it I’m wondering how much is probably left? Could they spin off an old filter and get a new one on fast enough and still keep most of it?

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
If your transmission or charge pump started sucking air you'd know it unless you're deaf.

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
If your transmission or charge pump started sucking air you'd know it unless you're deaf.
What he said! ;) Question: while you were operating, post service did everything hydraulic move smoothly as usual and with no dry sounding whine? If you covered this already in a previous post then I missed it.

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
What he said! ;) Question: while you were operating, post service did everything hydraulic move smoothly as usual and with no dry sounding whine? If you covered this already in a previous post then I missed it.

I didn’t notice a whine. But I also wear ear plugs and muffs when I’m on it so not sure I would have noticed. The hydraulics seemed to be normal. I’m going to measure how much it takes tonight to top off then report back. Thanks.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Could they spin off an old filter and get a new one on fast enough and still keep most of it?

Yeah, pretty common. Lose volume of filter and a little more.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
despite the quart low.....nothing hurt;)

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
did a 50 hr on my kioti - two filters, both for trans oil - one HST and one hudraulit.
I've changed lots of filters in my life and you lose the filter fluid and mabe a bit more...not so much here. the hst was normal, the hyd kept draining..and draining..and draining...
By the time I got the filter on a lot was in the pan (which had used motor oil in it first..so no salvaging the fluid).

I bought a gallon in prep for the filter loss. Used ALL of it and drained both filters too. At least it got my on the dispstick.

From what I understand it's a resevoir dipstick, so there's 'extra' in there. Now will that drop too low on a hill? I would not doubt it.

I've read that other brands have the same issue - big drain with filter changes. Some put a shop vac on the fill hole to draw a vaccuom, others put the rear tire up on a block to tilt away from the filter.

Not an issue now as the next service is 200 hours and is filters and fluid change.
I was at the shop 15 minutes before their hours of opening so boss wasn’t there yet. I will either call today and talk to him and follow up with an email for documentation. I’m inclined to see how much it is going to take first.

Assuming they only changed the tranny filter at the 50 hr and didn’t check the fluid after they did it I’m wondering how much is probably left? Could they spin off an old filter and get a new one on fast enough and still keep most of it?

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
did a 50 hr on my kioti - two filters, both for trans oil - one HST and one hudraulit.

I've changed lots of filters in my life and you lose the filter fluid and mabe a bit more...not so much here. the hst was normal, the hyd kept draining..and draining..and draining...

By the time I got the filter on a lot was in the pan (which had used motor oil in it first..so no salvaging the fluid).

I bought a gallon in prep for the filter loss. Used ALL of it and drained both filters too. At least it got my on the dispstick.

From what I understand it's a resevoir dipstick, so there's 'extra' in there. Now will that drop too low on a hill? I would not doubt it.

I've read that other brands have the same issue - big drain with filter changes. Some put a shop vac on the fill hole to draw a vaccuom, others put the rear tire up on a block to tilt away from the filter.

Not an issue now as the next service is 200 hours and is filters and fluid change.

Thank you. I wondered about this.

I’m 95% sure I will be changing my own fluids and filters at the next due service hours.