Love my new tratcor, but HATE the belly mower!

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
I just got a new BX25D and love everything about it except for the belly mower. It works great once it's mounted, but getting it mounted is the biggest pain in the ass! Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been through and through the manual and watched every video I could find, and it still sucks! I wish I would have bought a mower that works off of the 3 point hitch!

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
JMO, but while a 3 pt mower is easier to attach, a belly mower is a lot more nimble getting around in close quarters.

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
I wish I could take it back and swap it out. I'll probably sell it to get a finish mower before it's all said and done.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I love my rear finish mower. I'm sure a belly mower is nice, but I would rather had the flexibility of the finish mower.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I can tell ya it is a PIA at first. Once you get used to it it isn't that bad. I have learned that if you use the FEL to lift up the front a bit it helps. Now the bagger is a bigger PIA because of the PTO.

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
On mine, the pto is pretty hard to get hooked up because you don't have any leverage on it. But real problem is getting the arms to come down to the deck to pop the pins in.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
2 thoughts

1) If you have not done so, there is a control knob that regulates the speed in which the arms will lower. Turn it so that there is very little restance. I had forgot that I had it slowed down once and it took me alot of pain and and time to figure it out.

2) Also after like the third time of installing my deck I learned that on the arms there is a lock out on the pin that hooks the deck to the arms.

Dsmith

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 24, 2013
Alabaster, AL
In response to both thoughts:
1-are you saying if its slowed down, it won't drop the arms hard enough? That sounds kind like what it's doing.
2-I don't understand what you mean by "lockout" unless you are talking about the tab that holds the pin in the out position.

The biggest problem wit mine is getting the arms to line up good enough to actually put the pins in place. I have been wondering if the place I'm trying to mount the deck is not level enough. I'm gonna try the garage floor next time. That's find and dandy if that works, but it just seems like there could have been a better design.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Yes there is a regulator (for lack of a better term) that controls how fast or slow the 3pt and mid lift arms for the mower deck goes down. On my BX24 it is located just to the right side of the mower deck height knob sticking straight out from the rear of the tractor. The purpose for this is when you are using your 3pt and you want it to lower slow and gental or fast and hard.

And yes i am talking about the lockout tabs on the lift arm.

Both of these are from experance and lots of frustrtion. I agree there should be a better design although I don't know how it coulf be better.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well one thing I found on my BX that works cause Im fat old and lazy,, I take my bike lift and put it under the fromt cross bar if you have the FEL on you don't need to do this just use the bucket to lift the front end,,, I raise the front end up push the deck under line the PTO up drop the arms click them in place and the lower it to hook up the front hanger,, 10 min your ready to go,, just one way of doing it I guess

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would sell the belly mower and get a 3pt finish mower. Save yourself lots of busted knuckles and cussing. Once you get used to a finish mower it will do anything a belly mower will and then some.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
You must not be doing something right. I have a bx2230 and I don't have that much trouble with it. That sleeve connector for the shaft that slides back to release the lock balls,, spray that thing flull of some kind of lube or pour oil down into it while you have it off. If not, it will eventually rust and stick and you will really have trouble getting it off.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Nice looking mower. My buddy just went yesterday and picked up his new Land Pride mower. He said he really enjoyed using it.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I will never have another belly mower or a side discharge.
Never is a long time, but I'm in the same boat. Last year I agonized over side vs. rear discharge. Starting about 23 years ago I've only had side discharge. All three were 60". The first was a belly mower and the next two were RFM's. When the bigger tractor came home it begged for a wider deck. Final decision was a 6 foot Landpride rear discharge RFM. Sure makes it a lot easier to trim close to things that don't need clippings sprayed at them. Also makes it easier to vary the mowing pattern.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Id love to have a 5ft rear discharge for my B6100. Only two problems, not 100% sure if the B6100 can handle a 5 footer and and second I don't use the 4ft side discharge I have now to justify buying another one...

BenRich

Equipment
BX1870D w/FEL, Land Pride FDR1648 Mower, Land Pride RBO560 Scrape Blade
When I was buying my BX1870D the dealer gave me excellent advise - ditch the belly mower and go with a rear mount grooming mower. I heeded his advise and got the Land Pride FDR1648.

I could not be more satisfied with it; with the 1870's short turning radius and excellent maneuverability I can place that mower wherever I need to cut and do it safely.

Ben

jriz65

Equipment
B2650,MMM,FEL, EA Pine straw rake, Bush Hog SQ148 cutter, LP 72" Rake, EA 55"Roo
Apr 11, 2012
Orchard Park,NY
I agree with Kubota Man...I've had my Kubota BX2360 for a little over a year now and probably had the deck off 3-4 times now. This last time I was able to get it shoved back under and hooked up in less than 15 mins, the more familiar you become with the process the easier and quicker it will get, and yes, absolutely, being level makes task much easier.Give it some time..:)

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
And with a rear mount you dont need a trim mower! just back it under the tree~fence ~deck ~etc.