Lots of acres, LONG drive + snow, woods, acreage for hay need tractor

bfitzgerald3

Nov 13, 2012
harbor springs, mi
I'm new to the tractor and small farm world. I need to get a significant snow blower soon as I live in snow country and will eventually dive into some farming at the hobby level. ...roughly 60 acres primed for hay.

Advice on models? I live in northern michigan...if you know of someone who wants to part with somethign suitable, feel free to pass their info along. I'm looking at the L-Series but am not sure how big I should or will need to go.

thanks!

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
What kind of tractor are you working with so we know what direction to point you in as fas as snow blower size is concerned.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
We have 400 acres and over a mile of drive way, uphill. The L3800DT works very well for me. But we do have a larger L3750.

Most any 4wd between 30-50hp will do ya fine.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I really wish I had a cab on the Grand L and I don't live as far north into the winter country as you.

bfitzgerald3

Nov 13, 2012
harbor springs, mi
Some of my neighbors are suggesting that 30hp will work. I think for just snow, this would be fine. My significant-other has insisted that a cab will be included if she is to ever participate in clearing snow...I think that call has been made for me! :)

I wonder about running a small baler/mower, etc. The money tree isn't looking too full right now, so small is better, but I need to make sure I can get 'er done. Eric... I'm not sure which tractor I need to start with...part of my conundrum. It seems like I'm going to end up in the L-Series.

Thanks again!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It takes power to blow snow, so the more hp you can afford, the bigger the blower you can get. A mile of driveway is a lot of snow to displace.
We don't deal with snow here in Va like you do, but we have had some deep snows (24"+) in the past to deal with. My dad has a NH3930, 50 hp, with a 6' Woods blower. blowing deep snow full tilt takes a lot of that 50 hp.
I have a friend that used to have a 28hp Dragon (any tractor that comes with an extra engine gasket kit, new, should tell you something), and a 5' blower. That 2 cylinder wouldn't do much.

Last edited:

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I believe your haying operation will require a lot more horsepower then your snow removal needs. Find out how many hp to run the required mowers and balers and you will have your answer. I am betting you should be looking at the 80 to 100 hp range.

bfitzgerald3

Nov 13, 2012
harbor springs, mi
Bosshogg...80-100hp would be great...I don't think I can afford. It seems like older equipment can run on quite a bit less...with that and me being small scale ???

I did just run across this recently:
http://nmi.craigslist.org/grd/3409956006.html

Reasonable price? No idea on the number of hours yet and I'm always leary of getting something that looks like someone painted it to make it pretty.

Thanks to all for dealing with a newb!

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Bosshogg...80-100hp would be great...I don't think I can afford. It seems like older equipment can run on quite a bit less...with that and me being small scale ???

I did just run across this recently:
http://nmi.craigslist.org/grd/3409956006.html

Reasonable price? No idea on the number of hours yet and I'm always leary of getting something that looks like someone painted it to make it pretty.

Thanks to all for dealing with a newb!
Nice rig! Not a bad price if the hours aren't too high.

bfitzgerald3

Nov 13, 2012
harbor springs, mi
2400 hrs
Bought at auction
Owned by community college, purchased to flip
Plastic was cracking on cab...replaced
Paint faded from outside storage presumably
All else "runs well no leaks problems."

Opinions welcome!

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
If I needed one, I'd be very interested. Not terrible high on hours, but not low either. The hours would not scare me at all, but I'd like to buy it for about 2k less.