Lost key!

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
I have managed to lose the ignition key for my B5100. At the moment it is in the back of my van and I need to get it started to move it and get it into secure storage. Will it do any harm if I somehow hotwire it or try to power the starter solenoid directly to start it bypassing the switch altogether? I realise that it will be a little more difficult to get going without the pre-heat first but I think it will start without it. If I start and use it in this way will anything be harmed? A replacement ignition barrel and keys will cost a king's ransom here so I need to find an alternative. Any ideas?

Delgesu

Feb 15, 2014
Huntsville, on
This doesn't help you on your hotwire question, but the ignition keys are not expensive

I just bought a set of ignition keys for my L3600 from my friendly neighborhood Kubota dealer, and it cost me $6 plus tax. I didn't have to replace the ignition key cylinder...

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
That is encouraging news. I assumed that the keys were a unique cut for each machine, like cars are............ The last plain, uncoded, non-electronic key I had to buy for a car here (in France) was almost $100! And anything Japanese is completely mad. If the keys are universal I will order one on ebay (UK) and hope for the best. Thanks for the quick responses.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The Kubota keys are not very secure. I have an M series and all M series tractors have the same key.
If you know anyone with the same series as your tractor their key will work in yours.
Dave M7040

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I don't know about that tractor model, but on mine the fuel pump needs the key turned to run. So hot wiring might be more than one wire.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Aardvark,
Real simple, take a pair of jumper cables just hook up the positive and touch the other end to the top of a glow plug wait about 30 seconds then touch it to the small terminal on the solenoid and it will start.
No problem with come from doing this. ;)

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
Key for all B5100's is part number 66711-55140. Messicks indicates that it has been replaced by 66711-55240.

Good luck.

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
I would like to borrow your key. If you can send me a private message via the AngloInfo forum you won't have to post contact details publicly here. My username is Backagain.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Keys are universal. Was looking at tractors a couple weeks ago and the guy asked if I wanted to drive it. Said sure, pulled my keys out of my pocket and fired the new machine up :D. He just smiled.

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
Yes, that seems to be true. I just borrowed a key from hampshireborn. It was a spare from a different B series tractor and it works, so problem solved. Thanks to all who have posted. :)