Loss of power

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
The last few times that I have been using my BX24 I've had a loss of power. It usually happens while I'm using the FEL. I'll be trying to dig into a pill of dirt and lift it and the RPM's will suddenly drop down to almost a stall and the after a few seconds it will come back. The only thing I can think of would be fuel filters. I'm not sure how many hours it has been, but I replaced both filters a little over a year ago. What else could cause a temporary drop in power like that?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
when you turn your key to the glow position ......you still here "ticking" ? (fuel pump)

Does this drop in RPM have an correlation to full tank or 1/2 full tank? Or near empty tank?

I am with D2Cat .....air starvation will give an engine fits too.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
I can't believe how quickly the hours add up on these tractors. It has been over 200 hours since I changed the air filter and I'm overdue for an oil change too. I blew out the air filter and it was quite dirty. Ordered supplies today and will take care of the maintenance as soon as they get in. I never remember to look at the hours before I start the tractor. I wish the rpms and hours were selectable on the meter. I couldn't care a less about rpms. If the hours were constantly displayed O get it would be easier to keep up with the maintenance.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
The BX24 has an hour meter but it only displays the hours with the key in the on position before starting the tractor. After starting the hour meter changes to be a RPM meter. I never look at it before starting. I wonder if it can be rewired to display the hours while the tractor is running instead of the RPM's.

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
Wherever you store your machine, (unless outside), buy a cheap little Dry-Erase White Board and hang it beside the tractor or close to it. If you have more than one machine in your garage or barn, buy a bigger one and have them listed on the board. Write the hours down before or after each use. Simple! Then you can put reminders of needed or up-coming service they need. Once serviced, I write what was done in my machine's manual(s) so I know when and what was done. I don't know your age but as you get older, this isn't as over the top as it sounds and it takes just a few seconds to do with a dry-erase board. But it only works if you're disciplined to use it daily or if you are the casual home owner, weekly. A smart phone has a calendar feature that can also be programmed to remind you to check this or that! Same applies to your car or truck. There are WAY too many distractions each and everyday in our "simpler" computer driven world we exist in to keep track of and more so when you are caring for loved ones, working full time and mowing grass from our new tropical monsoon seasons in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. :rolleyes:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I'd be making sure that you're keeping weight on the seat when you run the loader. You have a safety switch.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
I do keep log books for all of my equipment. I white board with the next serviceable is a good idea. As far as the seat safety switch, the tea for doesn't just did co.poetry like a safety switch being made, the rpm's slow to about idle speed for about 10 seconds then go back to normal.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
I think I must have had a stroke or something when I wrote that. What I was trying to say is that the safety switch for the seat if activated would just kill the engine. The effect that I'm getting is a severe drop in RPM's down to almost idle for 10 to 15 seconds and then the RPM's go back to normal and everything is fine. It happens when I'm working the tractor hard with the FEL. I haven't used it since I cleaned the air filter so I don't know if that was the problem or not.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think I must have had a stroke or something when I wrote that. What I was trying to say is that the safety switch for the seat if activated would just kill the engine. The effect that I'm getting is a severe drop in RPM's down to almost idle for 10 to 15 seconds and then the RPM's go back to normal and everything is fine. It happens when I'm working the tractor hard with the FEL. I haven't used it since I cleaned the air filter so I don't know if that was the problem or not.
As mentioned.....and asked

either FUEL related ...

or AIR related !

Have you checked to see the fuel FUEL PUMP is working? WHEN you turn the key to glow......you will hear a ticking sound .....DO YOU?

have you checked for FLOW? I would remove the line to fuel filters and change them.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
So to answer the question, yes the fuel pump is working. The tractor runs fine for 99% of the time. The RPM drop happens usually only once while I'm using the tractor. So I blew out the air filter a couple of days ago and ordered a new one. It was quite dirty. I used the tractor yesterday and it did drop rpm's but not as severe as before. So I have fuel filters and have no problem changing them but it has only been 200hrs since I changed them and the schedule calls for 300 hrs. I want to try to figure out the problem so I want to wait until I replace the air filter and see if that is the problem. If the RPM drop continues to happen after the air filter change, I will change the fuel filters.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One other thing you might think about is something blocking the fuel outlet from the tank,, people have found all kinds of stuff in their tanks. ANd it seems to happen going up hill or down or sideways, something floats over the outlet and power loss. Your moving so the it slips off because of movement or when you loose power the fuel isnt being sucked out as fast. Just something to think about

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
So I replaced the air filter a few days ago and the loss of power occurred again yesterday. Today I replaced both fuel filters and we'll see what effect that has. I did open up both of the old filters and they looked pretty clean but I'm not sure if a visual inspection would tell me much.