Loose mower gearbox issue

Beanboy

Equipment
Kubota L4600 HST w/FEL, landpride DH1572. KK 5 ft boxblade
May 11, 2014
St Augustine FL
Is there a easier way to tighten the gearbox bolts on a stumpjumper rotary mower? The stumpjumper prevents getting a wrench onto the bolthead and the castlenut for jumper is so old and rusted a 6 ft cheater bar wouldn't break it loose after soaking in PB blaster for a day. I'm worried if I use more force I'd break the u-joint yoke, already bent my heaviest prybar. Short of getting a torch to cut things off I'm out of ideas and sure could use some pointers
Many thanks

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
I just went through a similar issue. The castle nut is probably the easiest part. Getting the stump jumper off the spline is a real PIA. I beat the hell out of it, heated it, made a puller , etc. Ended up having to cut a hole on the top deck so I could hammer down on top of the stump jumper before it came free.
Try some heat on the castle nut it will give.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Removing that stumpjumper with all remaining intact will be almost impossible.

I've used a hydraulic puller and bent the jumper and it still didn't come off the shaft.

The shops in my area won't even seriously try to remove the jumper; if it doesn't pop off the shaft in 10-minutes, they just cut it off.

Plan on cutting it off. Doing so will likely destroy the gearbox seal(s). Make certain you can obtain a replacement before cutting it off.

Heating the jumper trying to get it off the shaft will destroy the seals every time.

I've got a Howse unit. Needed to change worn-out blades. First time I'd noticed, there is no porthole on the deck to access the blade bolts. Called up Howse TechRep and asked, "What th'...". Their official response was to remove the stumpjumper. Asked just how they thought that might work out. Second official response was, "Yeah, we've heard there might be a problem doing that." So I cut a hole in the deck right behind the gearbox mount that would fit a 1-5/8-in socket.

Torch makes cutting a hole easy; can use a hole saw if go slow and use oil to cool the saw. Double-check the measurements of hole diameter and location on deck.

A neighbor flipped his shredder upside down and filled it with water while heating the stumpjumper and claims to have gotten it off without killing the gearbox seal(s) but he also now uses a grease gun on the zerk he installed in the gear-oil fill port and the dang thing drips when hot.

Back to your gearbox bolts: try bending a cheap wrench to hold between the stumpjumper and deck while a willing helper tightens from the gearbox side. You might weld a socket onto a bent paddle somehow to get a fit. I think the stumpjumper will wind up coming off before its over.

I'm real curious how you proceed and your resulting experiences; please post back so we may all learn.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My father in law had an old howse bush hog. We tipped it on it's side and strapped it to a tree. There was about a 3in gap between the frame and stump jumper. We flattend out a piece of pipe and tacked it to the wrench. Was able to get the wrench on there and he was able to tighten from the other side. We tack welded the nuts after we got it tight. It was a pita to do though, but havent had an issue with it backing off since.

Beanboy

Equipment
Kubota L4600 HST w/FEL, landpride DH1572. KK 5 ft boxblade
May 11, 2014
St Augustine FL
Thanks to all responding so far. The mower is in camp 5 hrs away, but hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have a chance to try these suggestions and I will post what happens when I do get back. I think a better solution would be check all bolts and fittings each time I grease the tractor and stay ahead of these problems. I guarantee it would take less time over the 3 years I've owned the mower than I spent this weekend trying to fix things. That not having been the case, i'll try these suggestions and report back.
Thanks again

09Ram

Equipment
09 Ram 2500, Grand L3830, GST, 6 ft Brushhog, 6 ft Box Blade, 8 ft Disk, Auger
Jun 8, 2013
Tahlequah, Ok
I cut a 3/4" wrench box end side off and welded a flattened ended pipe to the open end side to make an extra long wrench to tighten mine...