Looking to buy first tractor - B26 TLB??

UnderwoodTractor

Oct 7, 2023
Saxonburg PA
With kubota offering 0% for something new would that be a option?
But there are lots used ones online.
New is 30+, used is 24 and less… possibly low teens if I find a deal (auction maybe). I don’t like peeing anyone for anything and don’t have the 30k cash that isn’t earmarked for something already now but definitely am half way there.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If not familiar with the 3 point parts, I’d recommend looking for photo of manual (or video of attach and detach) and make sure of what all parts you should be bringing home should you make a deal. Good luck. 🥃

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
New is 30+, used is 24 and less… possibly low teens if I find a deal (auction maybe). I don’t like peeing anyone for anything and don’t have the 30k cash that isn’t earmarked for something already now but definitely am half way there.
I seriously doubt that you can buy the comparable new TLB for $30K.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Bh installed, 3point is there, I thought they could both be on there at the same time. Seller said “ yes it has 3pt arms” and I am going to go look at it Tuesday.
Well yes......You are basically correct.
ALL B26 TLB's were/are built with the 3pt hydraulic lift arms, and those arms remain on the tractor.

You do need to find out though, if the seller is including the lower 3pt linkage kit.
If missing, the lower linkage 3pt kit can be bought from any Kubota dealer, for about $700.

If the BH is already connected, it is not possible for the lower 3pt linkage to be simultaneously connected, and unless the seller has them separately, you will need to buy them ($700).

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If not familiar with the 3 point parts, I’d recommend looking for photo of manual and make sure of what all parts you should be bringing home should you make a deal. Good luck. 🥃
100% agree with this. There are a few parts, you want to get them all. Otherwise you'll end up going back and asking after them, or buying replacement parts new. They're available, but it's money you won't have to spend if you check properly when buying. Perhaps ask the seller to demonstrate the 3ph arms being attached, which will let you check everything's there, as well as see how to do it.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I do not know what your definition of "30+" is.
I was helping a friend look for a small TLB, and got a new B26 TLB quote from Steve Barlow.
Steve reportedly has the sharpest pencil for everything Kubota, and his price was $42K.
I do agree: That definitely qualifies as "30+"

I convinced my friend that the B26 TLB, with only 1,300 lb loader lift, was just not enough for his needs.
He bought a (not rental) really nice 2021 M62 with 295 hours , and 3960 lb. loader lift capacity.
$63.5K.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
3pt arms are an option. Come stored on the frame underneath. Takes 10-20minutes to change from BH to 3pt or reverse. The BH does need blocking under to make reconnecting to easier. Ours spends 80% of the time in 3pt mode.
One of cons of the B26 is little T-Rex lift arms and turnbuckle sway control. Pat’s quick hitch, gearbox side link and adjustable sway bars fixed that.
IMG_0669.jpeg

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I can afford a new but have found used a much better bargain. There has been equipment that I walked away from. Some auctions seen people bid higher than new. Trick is to know what you want and quickly buy at a fare price.
I've been finding the used seems to cost more than new at times. Even stuff that's been through the wringer is asking new prices.

Good time to sell used equipment though, I've sold a couple of older items used for more than I paid for them new and bought new bigger replacements.

Last edited:

UnderwoodTractor

Oct 7, 2023
Saxonburg PA
3pt arms are an option. Come stored on the frame underneath. Takes 10-20minutes to change from BH to 3pt or reverse. The BH does need blocking under to make reconnecting to easier. Ours spends 80% of the time in 3pt mode.
One of cons of the B26 is little T-Rex lift arms and turnbuckle sway control. Pat’s quick hitch, gearbox side link and adjustable sway bars fixed that. View attachment 113457
Those hitch parts look quite helpful, thanks for the post and suggestion. I will likely buy those if I end up with this B26. I am going to look at it tomorrow and am hopeful but I do have some time to be patient and find the right deal.

Overall I appreciate everyone's input here - first time buyer there is a lot to consider.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
I've been finding the used seems to cost more than new at times. Even stuff that's been through the wringer is asking new pricess.

Good time to sell used equipment though, I've sold a couple of older items used for more than I paid for them new and bought new bigger replacements.
Use to have a good idea about prices till two years ago. Been selling some old equipment too.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Those hitch parts look quite helpful, thanks for the post and suggestion. I will likely buy those if I end up with this B26. I am going to look at it tomorrow and am hopeful but I do have some time to be patient and find the right deal.

Overall I appreciate everyone's input here - first time buyer there is a lot to consider.
PATIENCE....... is the operative word, (and having cash in hand) when looking for a used tractor!
You will most likely have to kiss several frogs, before choosing a bride.

Last edited:

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
go for it ! Unlike the 'nay sayers', that TLB will dredge a small pond. yes, it'll take longer than using a bigger, more expensive to buy and run TLB, but it WILL dredge a pond. heck I used my lowly BX23S to dredge out a small pond, just a 1/4ac then clean out and reshape the 'stream' for better flow. I wasn't in a hurry,slow and steady won the 'race'
I use my backhoe as much as the loader. move a tree backhoe, have water on the trail ditch and culvert. I use the backhoe often for 10 min jobs stubborn brush in the way of a downed tree backhoe. lift a log off the ground to cut firewood backhoe not to mention footings and big foots for building decks ect. and no matter how deep you bury the beast you are you are not that stuck

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
26TLB is a really nice workhorse of a machine.

I consider myself a smooth / quick operator and well into retirement, I can budget about 20,000 gallons of pond dug per day in softer soils in my area and still have enough energy to make it home upright to walk the dog with a machine like that.

Myself I don't like higher hrs on my stuff as repairs are expensive and downtime with dealers in my area is huge and measured in months not days.

Check to tightness of the BH and loader pins and the amount of slop will be a good indicator on the quality of operator(s) who worked the machine and mechanics who worked on it.

Cheers

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Similar situation here. Looking for a backhoe. I am looking B21, B26 and L35 range. B21 and B26 appear to be very close in capability for digging with the B26 just being nicer and has more PTO and a bit more lift. L35 would be my sweet spot if I could find one that I can afford. I need to remove stumps all the time, some drainage around house foundation and shops, some re-grading of yard around house to move water better around, clean a couple ditches and mostly landscaping stuff. I think B21 could do it, but I am not sure if I would be spending a week hacking at a stump that I could pull in 5 minutes by calling in a guy with a case 580 or something