Looking to buy back my 1st Kubota

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Around 1990 I purchased a small HST Kubota. iirc it was only 17hp but I had a Woods backhoe on it. I can't remember the model number but the 17hp I'm pretty sure of because my lawn tractor was 1hp more :). I sold it with very low hours after I did the work around our new house.

Fast forward to the present. The person I sold it to (an old friend who is an electrician) called a month or so ago.Their son went to use it after many years of storage in their barn and it apparently dumped a lot of 'oil' when they tried to start it. I offered what suggestions I could but in the end suggested they get it to a dealer.

I'm looking for a tractor I can use to mow our 1+ acre lawn so thought this might be a solution. I just called them and they may be interested in selling. It has lived its life in their barn. It was never taken to a dealer to see what the issue is so there's that. I'm pretty confident this machine has <250 hours on it.

When we get back to CT next month I'll take a look at it. Assuming there is oil in the engine I'd like to try turning it over with a jump just to sure it's not seized up. Other than that and mice doing a job on the wiring, any suggestions for what I should look for?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Before 'jumping it to start', pull glowplugs and MANUALLY try to turn the engine over. Be 100% SURE you can turn it over several times.
Fuel will need to be totally drained, new filters, fresh fuel.
Reinstall glowplugs, check of they heat up
THEN attempt to spin her over..2-3 seconds, stop, wait a bit, then try again.

One of the worst things you can do is 'slap battery on it , crank it over'..... poof..there goes several stuck rings into a zillion bits, scoring the cylinders....

Reactions: 1 users