Looking for bucket hooks

JustJeff

Equipment
Kubota BX 2350
Hi guys. I've been looking around for hooks for my BX 2350. I went to Bxpanded and for 5/16" hooks it looks like they're charging 179.00 for ONE hook??? If so, that's ridiculous. I like the no drill, no bolt idea, but that price is crazy if it's for a single hook. I've read people on here talking about "Ken" and his hooks (I believe that name is correct). I don't know his prices, or if they're temporarily attached, or bolted on, but could someone please let me know how to get in touch with him so I can find out his prices and what kind of hooks he has? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
I see a lot of comments regarding "bolt on" hooks. Most seem to form their opinion that welding is stronger.
Remember that your loader is "bolted" to the tractor...
I have Ken's bolt on and they are perfect for me.
This coming from a guy that has had a welded hook break off and
go past my head. They make a wizz sound just like a bullet (don't ask).
To each thier own.

Last edited:

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
I had a set of kens hooks on my 2370, the bx stops lifting or pulling long before these hooks even blink.

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I prefer A36 weld hooks, but not everyone can run 7018...

KennyD makes a solid product. Bolt on can be easily removed later if you wish.

Your BX wont create the shearing power to break a hook, however respect must be paid to heavy loads of any nature. Placing the hook in the center of the bucket is the best place. Or one on each end and use them in unison. Wouldn't want to tweak your loader arms hefting something heavy...

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
Ken's hooks are great. Easy to install and a good clean, factory, look. No worries drilling holes in the bucket. I have a hook bolted to the top side of the center of my bucket an a clevis point bolted on the top side of the inside of my bucket. I use the clevis point the most.

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
Ken's hooks are great. Easy to install and a good clean, factory, look. No worries drilling holes in the bucket. I have a hook bolted to the top side of the center of my bucket an a clevis point bolted on the top side of the inside of my bucket. I use the clevis point the most.
Great combo idea, thanks!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I see a lot of comments regarding "bolt on" hooks. Most seem to form their opinion that welding is stronger.
Remember that your loader is "bolted" to the tractor...
I have Ken's bolt on and they are perfect for me.
This coming from a guy that has had a welded hook break off and
go past my head. They make a wizz sound just like a bullet (don't ask).
To each thier own.
Gotta remember, even the bolted on hooks are welded to the plate you bolt on.

A weld is a weld. If one can weld the hook to the loader as good as the weld is to the plate, the chances of a welded hook flying off is equal, whether welded or bolted.

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt
I just had my dealer weld some on when I bought the tractor, I think they were like $10 apiece or something. You can buy weld on hooks at tractor supply also for around the same price.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Gotta remember, even the bolted on hooks are welded to the plate you bolt on.

A weld is a weld. If one can weld the hook to the loader as good as the weld is to the plate, the chances of a welded hook flying off is equal, whether welded or bolted.
Guys,

I am gonna chime in here - as a welder (not a great one however) the WELD to the bucket is fine - but remember, the footprint of a weld on both sides of a hook are placing a hellva lot of pressure on the THAT spot on the bucket!!!

SO - if someone was to jerk the hell out of the bucket hook - all of that force will be applied to a small area OF THE BUCKET, sure the weld should hold, but the bucket could deform.

When a hook is welded to a plate - the plate is is inherently thicker than the bucket material - thus the pressure when BOLTED to the bucket places a stress on a larger surface area. Now the pressure is placed on the bolts!

I would make sure that the grade of bolts far exceeds the weld breaking strength. The washer used on the head side and nut side of the bucket will also decrease the pressure at that specific point.

Weld on hooks are fine - guessing over the last 50 years more than 80% of all hooks are welded on and 99.99% of those are probably fine. I wanted to weld on a plate and have that plate rise up a bit higher than the bucket edge- When I roll the bucket - the chain bangs up the upper lip of the bucket.....and being a finicky a$$ - I could not stand it!!!!!:D

This is 2 .500 inch plates with the hook - ground and welded. Cannot remember what rod I used. - and dont look at that bubble gum to hard!:eek:

Last edited:

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt
Good point, when I asked my dealer about welding the hooks, they said they wouldn't do it to the older style buckets, but the new ones are sufficiently reinforced to take the lifting strain. On the older ones, they weld a support plate in place across the top of the bucket before welding the hooks on.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
That's exactly what fails, the metal around the weld. Never did find the hook but there was a big hole in the bucket where it used to be,

Fractal, I see your tractor got a new hat and shoes!

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt
That's exactly what fails, the metal around the weld. Never did find the hook but there was a big hole in the bucket where it used to be,

Fractal, I see your tractor got a new hat and shoes!
Yup, we ordered that when we bought it, and they just got it all on a couple weeks ago. Canopy, front light kit, filled R1 tires, and they still owe me the service and parts manuals. They also reinforced the loader arms as detailed in the LA525 loader issues post.

JustJeff

Equipment
Kubota BX 2350
All good information guys, thanks. I ended up getting the quick attach hooks from Bxpanded. They were actally 179.00 for two of them, not for a single one like I had thought. I'm sure they're not as strong as some of the ones you guys posted pics of, but it's a little tractor (2350), and can only lift 500lbs., so I think they'll be fine for what I do. I don't know if I'll ever move them on the bucket, but I like the idea of having that option if a need arises. I also bought their Piranha tooth bar to re-grade my lawn this Spring due to a well drilling truck driving across my lawn after days of rain to replace my well pump.

Attachments

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
All good information guys, thanks. I ended up getting the quick attach hooks from Bxpanded. They were actally 179.00 for two of them, not for a single one like I had thought. I'm sure they're not as strong as some of the ones you guys posted pics of, but it's a little tractor (2350), and can only lift 500lbs., so I think they'll be fine for what I do. I don't know if I'll ever move them on the bucket, but I like the idea of having that option if a need arises. I also bought their Piranha tooth bar to re-grade my lawn this Spring due to a well drilling truck driving across my lawn after days of rain to replace my well pump.
Congrats on your new toys! I hope the hooks work well for you.
I love those piranha tooth bars, if I didn't have a regular one and was in the market that's what I would buy too.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I have yet to mount any hooks on my bucket athough I could have used some only a couple of times. I imagined using some in conjuction with clamp-on forks of some kind to haul downed timber by rolling a good sized log up on the bucket and swinging a chain around from the top, under the bucket, over the log and pinching a link into the welded on hook. A single chain would be enough most of the time and be a fast way to secure a load before carting it to the burn pile.

But I've managed ok without just by wrapping a tad longer chain around the bucket.

Just how are yall using the hooks to real advantage other than just decorating your bucket?