Looking for a new trailer...

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Good Morning...I'm looking for a trailer to transport my B3030 tractor. It had a loader and backhoe, combined it's just under 4K pounds. The trailer I'm looking at is a new 18' RICE Trailer. It has a GVWR of 7K. I'll be towing it with a new Silverado 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax diesel, which has a tow capacity of 9K.

I rented a trailer back when I bought the tractor, and that's the only time it's been towed. Just wanted to get any thoughts/recommendations on this before purchasing one.

Thanks,
Glenn

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Trailers are just like shop buildings. Figure what size you absolutely need, then go bigger.

Reactions: 5 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Good Morning...I'm looking for a trailer to transport my B3030 tractor. It had a loader and backhoe, combined it's just under 4K pounds. The trailer I'm looking at is a new 18' RICE Trailer. It has a GVWR of 7K. I'll be towing it with a new Silverado 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax diesel, which has a tow capacity of 9K.

I rented a trailer back when I bought the tractor, and that's the only time it's been towed. Just wanted to get any thoughts/recommendations on this before purchasing one.

Thanks,
Glenn
You will be really close to your GVWR on the trailer with that machine but should still work. Probably need to back it onto the trailer (backhoe weight toward tongue a bit). Check your tongue weight on the hitch as well, but at 9k you are probably fine.

That tail on the trailer is really low to the ground...dont back up unless you know exactly what is behind you! I also dont like ramps that dont have support under them (outriggers on trailer or welded feet on ramps). Trailer pops up in the air if you dont hvae that...you could also use some 6x6 blocking.

Advise to go bigger really isnt relevant beacuse your truck won't safely pull it anyway.

Reactions: 1 users

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
You will be really close to your GVWR on the trailer with that machine but should still work. Probably need to back it onto the trailer (backhoe weight toward tongue a bit). Check your tongue weight on the hitch as well, but at 9k you are probably fine.

That tail on the trailer is really low to the ground...dont back up unless you know exactly what is behind you! I also dont like ramps that dont have support under them (outriggers on trailer or welded feet on ramps). Trailer pops up in the air if you dont hvae that...you could also use some 6x6 blocking.

Advise to go bigger really isnt relevant beacuse your truck won't safely pull it anyway.
Thanks.
I was going to fab supports for the ramps. I'll be ~1K under the max, and should be ok. As you mentioned, moving up to the next size trailer, 10K...I'll be over the tow rating of the truck.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks.
I was going to fab supports for the ramps. I'll be ~1K under the max, and should be ok. As you mentioned, moving up to the next size trailer, 10K...I'll be over the tow rating of the truck.
You may keep the trailer FAR longer than the truck.
I would absolutely go for the 10K trailer.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
If it were me, I would consider upgrading your 3500lb axles to 5000. If you ever go up in tractor size, (almost everybody does) that trailer is going to be maxed out.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If it were me, I would consider upgrading your 3500lb axles to 5000. If you ever go up in tractor size, (almost everybody does) that trailer is going to be maxed out.
Yup........two 5,000 lb. axles makes it a 10,000 lb. trailer

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Mine is a 14k and I still cant haul all my stuff around...ugh.

Reactions: 1 user

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
What others have said, go up to 10K LBS and get brakes on both axels. I have a 18ft 10k and wish I went up to 20ft.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks.
That's a sharp looking trailer. If it were me, I get a 10K 20 footer (note, you can de-rate the trailer in most states) and register it for your tow capacity. Very easy (in most states) to do....that's what I did as well.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’d go with 10K trailer and brakes on both axles. That and be realistic about max length of tractor and any implements. A stubby little tractor can get really long really quick with a loader and bush hog. I run a 14K trailer behind a 10K truck. No issues other than I’m limited to 10K gross trailer/cargo by the truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Thanks,
Glenn
Good day. I am not sure this helps or not, but I don’t believe there are any clear cut standards for tow ratings for commercial trailers…so there is definitely some buyer beware…crawl under three different makes and you’ll see three very different things.

To each their own…everyone has different load strategy…you can see that just seeing how people load their stuff. I think having a little extra length on the deck makes it a lot easier to balance your load for different configurations of whatever you may be hauling.

I also think the fold down MaX ramps are slicker than a cats ass…again to each their own if you want to spend for that or not, but I would not buy another trailer for my tractor with out them. I’d also offer that if you are getting or considering those you can tow the trailer with them in the 90 degree position, but if you do want or need to fold them down, sometimes that will change your load strategy and having a little extra length allows you to pull tractor forward to fold them down and then you can back up if needed to balance the load.

Anyway those would be two things to me worth considering. In general, same as the machine, but once cry once (buy more than you think you need). I hope this helps 🥃

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Glenn, you are describing the almost identical situation I am in. Except, I had the trailer before I bought the tractor. Its a 16 foot with dual 3500's.

My machine with loader is about 4k, with the hoe on it's just under 5K. I get along,........ but I would much rather have the "extra" capacity for the small dollar difference of the initial outlay of cash.

The way I look at it is this; Just because you are towing a trailer capable of more weight than your truck is rated at, does NOT mean you have to load it up that heavy.

There is piece of mind in having your trailer loaded up, with "room to spare", so to speak.

I also agree with the above advice regarding the brakes. Get the good stuff, you won't be sorry.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I'll be the devils advocate here. So long as length isn't an issue I think you'd do just fine with that trailer. By length I mean how it results in weight distribution. Having the backhoe might make a short trailer off balance. However I would as others have said upgrade axles for better brakes and strength.

10K...I'll be over the tow rating of the truck.
A common misconception is that a 10k capacity trailer pulled behind a truck with a 9k max tow rating is a bad thing. Just because the trailer is rated for 10k doesn't mean it weighs 10k. You don't have to, nor should you max out the capacity of a trailer. Doing so increases wear and tear on the trailer itself, plus negates the effectiveness of the brakes.

The maximum payload capacity of a trailer has nothing to do with the tow capacity of a truck. What matters is actual weight of the trailer empty. That number added to the payload you intend to haul is what makes up the gross weight. Thay gross is what you have to make sure is within tow capacity.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
That is a NICE trailer and the only upgrade I'd do is add BACKUP LIGHTS to it.
It has brakes on BOTH axles, something that you need. Pulling a trailer is easy, it's STOPPING that can be ,well, 'challenging'.
Since you're 900# less than being 'maxxed out', you'll be fine and there's no actual need to go bigger.
I routinely max out my 7K dumper behind my F150. Zero issues. yes it takes awhile to get up to speed and to slow down..just the 'nature of the beast'.

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
THANKS EVERYONE for your input!!

I decided to go with the 10K trailer. Having the 12" vs 10" brakes and overall heavier suspension, is worth the extra $$. Just the better braking capability will be worth it. Besides I'll be towing the tractor for MA to NC in the spring, so having the heavier trailer will be safer overall.

Thanks again!

Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I decided to go with the 10K trailer. Having the 12" vs 10" brakes and overall heavier suspension, is worth the extra $$. Just the better braking capability will be worth it. Besides I'll be towing the tractor for MA to NC in the spring, so having the heavier trailer will be safer overall.

Thanks again!
Excellent decision !
Those are the very reasons that I bought a 14K rated trailer.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Thanks.
Not sure about where you live, but most states don't care what the GTW rating is. Most will never bat an eye if you load it to 10 or 11k because you aren't commercial.
Personally, I would go to a 10k trailer. It will be there for the next tractor, or for some other purpose you need. What if you want to take the grapple and box blade along with the bucket and rotory cutter? You'll be over the capacity then. Just think forward to what you may di in the future.
On the plus side, used trailers have good resale if you take care of them. So if you go with the 7k and need to upgrade, it should be easy to sell for good money.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Thanks again!
Congrats...and good choice.

Before you pull the trigger, perhaps inquire about fork carriers....something like these. You may be able to do them as a small add on....

New Trailer 2 Fork Holder.JPG

Fork Carrier.JPG

Reactions: 3 users