Looking For a 3 Point Hitch Attachment With a Trailering Ball

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Good day.

How would you tow from draw bar and keep the leading end up off the ground? What does that rigging / set up look like? If you have a pic that would be appreciated. ☕

I’ve thought about a log arch or winch, but just not pulled the trigger, yet. 😉
NCL4501 described it correctly, IMO.

@NCL4501 …that pic was taken From the ADVERT for that “trailer hauler”…. and I was troubled by a company who would suggest that as a valid technique/use of their device.

I used to have a Dearborn Pond Scoop which faced backwards …and is how I’d skid a log.
(this is a pic of a pond scoop…not mine…just a pic I found to illustrate …the idea of using an old car hood…or sheet of tin…etc., is a good one.)

IMG_2632.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I found several of the 3 point hitch receivers on Amazon priced from $45 to $250.

I have a latch that fits on my lift arm and covers the drawbar and keeps the drawbar from turning. I don't use it often, but it's nice when I need it. And my feeble mind won't remember where I bought it.
Tractor Supply and Amazon, both sell the drawbar latch.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
View attachment 125774

Just pulled the trigger on this guy. Still open to recommendations though. Marketed as a log skidder. Which I need as well...

$65 !!!
1/5 the price of your somewhat schmancier unit, and besides the 2x2 receiver being included in your unit, this one does just fine doing exactly what you'll need. I got one of these 4 years ago, has been put through the ringer chain-hauling logs out of the bush, and hauling heavy trailer loads of timber etc. Just needs a standard auto receiver hitch with ball.

I also got a 2x2 receiver type single-tine sub-soiler/ripper to use with it, works great.
IMG_20210203_153858868.jpg
IMG_20210328_132352383_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210514_181000165.jpg

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada

I just found this while surfing the interwebs. Very nice. 2 birds with one stone. This implement has a receiver hitch, and helps haul logs. Looks like it's worth a try. (y)
I would NOT use this hitch as a log puller illustrated in this screenshot of the sales photo.

If the log ever caught on something while being pulled the tractor would upside down on your lap in a second or 2!

Think about it. If the log is a few inches off the ground and hits a stump or any other solid object, the height of that pull-point off of the top link will immediately yank the front of the tractor upwards until you fully stop the machine.

Screenshot from 2024-04-08 11-06-24.png

This is DANGEROUS implement use, IMO. This log is well off of the ground in this photo so may not kill the operator when they drag it over any obstacle, but I've had many instances where that load or even 3-point hitch can slip lower while in motion and endanger the op.

I use the 2x2 receiver with ball and chain up as tight as possible to the top of the load, then raise the 3-point only enough to take the weight of the load off the ground when dragging. I've hit a number of solid obstacles doing this and the tractor's feet remained planted.

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
This is the Tractor Supply model I have. I like the hook up top for chains. I understand the potential risks that come with skidding logs. Personally, common sense goes a long way in these situations. Nuff said.
1713095792000.png

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Common sense seems to be more uncommon these dayze.......

Perhaps too many 'automated helpers' have led to people NOT THINKING about what they're doing ??

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think the skidding winch/plate is really the correct tool if skidding a lot logs with a compact tractor (and some have a receiver too)…an arch might be nice as well if not wanting to make a mess or get dirt all over the log.

Until the spousal unit buys me one (this could be the year😉), this (see pic below) is what I have come up with for MX…I have a much simpler one for the B that is a basic triangle tube style with a receiver for a 2 hitch which works just fine.

I think a skidding winch/plate would make decent ballast as well, and if that would allow fewer attachments to have to step over/around in the barn that would be nice.

The problem with just the triangle is that not much weight and if using the loader, I still need the ballast in the woods while working. So until the spousal unit buys me a winch, I use the BB until time to skid and then I switch over to the triangle. ☕

Attachments

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I think a skidding winch/plate would make decent ballast as well, and if that would allow fewer attachments to have to step over/around in the barn that would be nice.
Just for your consideration, my Farmi W50R doesn’t hang far off the back of tractor but it’s better counterweight than my 525lb boxblade. YMMV…

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I think the skidding winch/plate is really the correct tool if skidding a lot logs with a compact tractor (and some have a receiver too)…an arch might be nice as well if not wanting to make a mess or get dirt all over the log.

Until the spousal unit buys me one (this could be the year😉), this (see pic below) is what I have come up with for MX…I have a much simpler one for the B that is a basic triangle tube style with a receiver for a 2 hitch which works just fine.

The problem with just the triangle is that not much weight and if using the loader, I still need the ballast in the woods while working. So until the spousal unit buys me a winch, I use the BB until time to skid and then I switch over to the triangle. ☕
What is at the top of the triangle? It is cut off in the picture. Inquiring minds need to know! :giggle:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
What is at the top of the triangle? It is cut off in the picture. Inquiring minds need to know! :giggle:
It was just zoomed in…that is the day I painted it and I was holding it with that strap (simple hitch pin holding thru the loop)…strap is looped over forks on the B outside the picture frame.

Last edited:

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I had a homebuilt hitch system much like the one in post #25...
That is with 2" receiver under the cross bar to be at the lowest level.. The arm at the top link end of my unit was about 8" long and worked well for lift log ends for skidding..

What I will ....HIGHLY.... recommend is to pull, skid logs from the draw bar.. Only lifting the log ends off the ground with the 3pt only after having tension on the drawbar hook up...

Keep safe..

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Just saw this, I have 2” hitch receptacles on a few 3 point pieces. I haul my saws around when I’m grappling up branches and brush. Good for planting tools too, then I can go move trailers around, or piggyback an attachment to it.
IMG_6952.jpeg
IMG_6954.jpeg