Looking at small L series. Need advice on size, tier IV emissions, etc.

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
I have 2014 L4600 HST and Kubota says the engine is Interim Tier IV and has no DPF or regen stuff.

I use it on 30 acres in Florida and it's an amazing machine. While the L3200 & L3800 share the same tractor frame, the L4600 is a larger frame, which I am thankful for as I am clearing trees and underbrush almost on a daily basis.

All of them are great machines!

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
I take the whole works off. It is very easy to do and the farthest things sticking out are the grille guard and front tires. It only takes a couple minutes. The loader on the L3200 is a lot nicer to deal with than the one on the B7500 I had. With the B7500 I was always worried about missing the catch and smacking the hood with the loader frame crossbar.

With the doors on the cab I have to dismount to pull / replace the two big pins and the QD hoses. With the doors off in warm weather I only need to get off to do the hoses. Back before building the cab I could pull in the shed and drop the loader in less than a minute without dismounting. The windshield blocks access to the QD's.
I also take the loader off the L3800, easy 5 minutes max. Hate to mow
with the loader on!
Thanks guys. I think the loader on the L2800 and L3400 I am looking at should be similar. Its nice to know they detach easy.

I have 2014 L4600 HST and Kubota says the engine is Interim Tier IV and has no DPF or regen stuff.

I use it on 30 acres in Florida and it's an amazing machine. While the L3200 & L3800 share the same tractor frame, the L4600 is a larger frame, which I am thankful for as I am clearing trees and underbrush almost on a daily basis.

All of them are great machines!
Thanks for confirming the Interim Tier IV has no dpf or regen stuff.

I'm really debating between a 2008 L2800 and a 2011 L3400. I believe these are the predecesors to the L3200 and the L3800. It looks like they might be different frames and different engines in the early models, but the later models appear to have the same engine displacement as the L3200 and L3800, yet they put out less hp. I find it kind of interesting that they changed engines for the last 2 years of production on the L2800 and L3400.

Anyway, the L2800 I am looking at has 640 hrs and has already been split to replace pto gears that were tore up from not engaging the clutch. The L3200 is 3 years newer, only has 170 hours and has the R4 tires vs the R1 ag tires on the 2800. The one possible advantage of the L2800 is the hydrostatic tranny. I'm kind of torn on that vs the manual. Of course the real advantage of the L2800 is that its $14,000 vs $17,000. I was hoping to find something for $10-$12,000 so both are already over my budget. But I can't help but feel the L3400 is worth the extra $3000 for the tires, bigger motor and fewer hours. Unless the hydro is really that big of an advantage.

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
Can anyone tell me if the ptos are different for a hydro vs gear tractor. I saw a post in another forum where someone said the hydros have a 'live' pto and the gears do not. Can someone tell me if this is true and what it means.

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
I did a little research and I think I have the PTO thing figured out. If I understand correctly the hydros will have an 'independant' PTO and the gear tractors are 'live' or can I call it a 2 stage (Or is that something else)

Anyway, the way I understand it is with the 'independant' pto on the hydros the clutch pedal will solely engage/disengage the pto. The drive gears will be completely independant from the clutch. Which makes sense since you don't need a clutch to operate a hydrostatic. So with that setup I could disengage my mower without ever stopping forward motion. Or I could go from forward to reverse without ever stopping the mower.

With the 'live' pto on the gear tractor. I would press halfway down on the pedal to disengage the tractor gears and the other half of the travel would disengage the PTO shaft. So although I could disengage the tractor and stop forward movement while the PTO continues to run, I really can't disengage the PTO without first stopping the tractor. So whether I want to stop the tractor or stop the PTO I basically need to clutch. If I understand correctly this is basically the same setup I have on the L2250 I am borrowing.

Does that sound about right?

So the way I see it, its not really a big issue, but it does once again make the hydro a bit easier to operate and give more freedom. I've just about got myself talked out of the geared tractor here. Any one have any advantages to gears over hydros?

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
I just wanted to update this thread. I did purchase a L3800 this weekend. Its a little rough, but I believe mechanically sound. As far as I can tell it does not have a dpf canister so I should be good there too. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm sure I'll be around on occasion with more questions and comments.