Looking at building a steel shop?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
One other thing I would personally want is at least one bay to have doors in the front and back so I could keep my boat and truck hooked up, park the whole rig in the barn at night, and just pull straight out in the morning.

But I have a whole "wish list" that could go on for pages and pages......

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Well, actually it can be too big. But it's relative to time. In the beginning it seems ideal and plenty of space, but soon one wonders why it seem so small. That is why others advise is always build more than you can imagine you'd ever need!
This guy disagrees, and he know a little bit about relativity and time....

1705059951255.png

Reactions: 1 user

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I'm currently finishing up the design for a smaller (all we can afford currently) steel shop shed building. If anyone here happens to have a square tube steel building I'd be very interested in some pics and details to help validate my design. I have a bit of a unique case where I will need to move the building in a few years (750'-1000') so I am designing it rather solidly and tracking the materials weights to avoid issues during the move.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
how small is 'smaller' ?
have moved 200 year , 60x120 old barns 300' in the past.
Current design is 20x25x12H. Have moved a number of 40' containers over the years, pretty easy. If I can keep the weight under 8k I can just pick it up from inside with my backhoe and move it. Otherwise I'll put wheel trucks on the rear corners and pickup the front with a spreader I beam and the backhoe. Framing weight is around 3,800#, need to find R panel and insulation weights to add those in.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'm currently finishing up the design for a smaller (all we can afford currently) steel shop shed building. If anyone here happens to have a square tube steel building I'd be very interested in some pics and details to help validate my design. I have a bit of a unique case where I will need to move the building in a few years (750'-1000') so I am designing it rather solidly and tracking the materials weights to avoid issues during the move.
'square tubing" like this?

20240113_162937.jpg

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
If primed be sure the INSIDE is primed as well !
Yes, it's primed inside as well.

What I'm looking for should anyone have such a building and the time / inclination, is:
- Building size
- Structure tube size
- Structure tube spacing / quantity

Just to help sanity check my design.

Last edited:

ob1jeeper

Equipment
L3240, loader, backhoe, forks, gannon
Mar 25, 2018
Wickenburg, Arizona USA
I ended up going with an all metal 50x60 building with block wainscot to break up the drabness.

Slab cured and framing going up.
IMG_9008.JPG

Inner sheeting going in. 12 inches of insulation going in on the roof, 9 " in the walls before outer skin is installed.
IMG_9122.JPG

Aprons being formed and poured. Needs some landscaping done, but base building is complete.
IMG_9264.JPG

Doors being installed
IMG_9394.JPG

Trenching for wiring
IMG_9289.JPG

Storage loft just finished
IMG_9422.JPG

Finally... Move-in Day...
IMG_6541.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I ended up going with an all metal 50x60 building with block wainscot to break up the drabness.

Slab cured and framing going up. View attachment 123664

Inner sheeting going in. 12 inches of insulation going in on the roof, 9 " in the walls before outer skin is installed.
View attachment 123665

Aprons being formed and poured. Needs some landscaping done, but base building is complete.
View attachment 123667
Oh my, that is sweet! Love it! Obviously not in a big snow state.

I have a good - lifelong friend in Wickenburg. My best friend actually. Like a brother to me. Prospector.
Nice place, lots of space. Too hot in the summer for me tho. I'd rather have cold than gold.

Anyway...

Enjoy it! That building is awesome! Nicely done!

Last edited:

ob1jeeper

Equipment
Mar 25, 2018
Wickenburg, Arizona USA
Oh my, that is sweet! Love it! Obviously not in a big snow state.

I have a good - lifelong friend in Wickenburg. My best friend actually. Like a brother to me. Prospector.
Nice place, lots of space. Too hot in the summer for me tho. I'd rather have cold than gold.

Anyway...

Enjoy it! That building is awesome! Nicely done!
Thanks. It took me nearly 4 years to get the county to pass the designs, but I'm happy with the outcome...

Regarding the snow-loading, Oddly enough, my county required it being designed for a 50lb snow-load... :O I live on the southern fringe of a county which does from time to time experience that sort of snow load at the higher elevations (over 1 mile high), but NEVER at the elevation of this part of the county. BUT... They would NOT budge, even though the charts showed my location was not in the area that required it... :(

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You in Maricopa or Yavapai county?
I lived in north Phoenix for 22 years.
Gotta love their odd regulations based upon some event that happens once every 1000 years.

For those that don't know Wickenburg is about an hour north west of Phoenix.
It never gets more than a dusting of "snow"

1709617127504.png

Last edited:

ob1jeeper

Equipment
Mar 25, 2018
Wickenburg, Arizona USA
You in Maricopa or Yavapai county?
I lived in north Phoenix for 22 years.
Gotta love their odd regulations based upon some event that happens once every 1000 years.

For those that don't know Wickenburg is about an hour north west of Phoenix.
It never gets more than a dusting of "snow"

View attachment 123672
I'm about 1500 ft from being in Maricopa, County, but still in Yavapai... LOL...