looking a new rm mower for B7100D

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
Im almost done rebuilding my B7100D and beginning to turn some attention to the rear mount mower. I currently have a very well worn woods rm59. I think it is time for a replacement and would like to hear what others have used. what are the pros and cons of the mower you use?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Im almost done rebuilding my B7100D and beginning to turn some attention to the rear mount mower. I currently have a very well worn woods rm59. I think it is time for a replacement and would like to hear what others have used. what are the pros and cons of the mower you use?

How worn is it?:D:) - can it be "fixed" to the point that it is better?

I have never owned a rear - other than a rotary cutter (5' brush hog)......I have heard that the rear discharge are the better ones......might be off base however.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
On the lighter and less expensive end, I have a 20-some year old side-discharge 5' Caroni that is about ready for a rebuild. It has been used on a Ford 1210, which I believe is similar in size to your Kubota. I took pretty decent care of it for the first 10 years. Then I got the first Kubota and a new 5' side discharge Landpride deck and the Caroni served more of a bush hog role and I beat the snot out of it. The Landpride is a great deck, but the weight of the 5 foot Landpride was too much for the little Ford tractor.

Three years ago I bought a larger Kubota and a 6' rear discharge Landpride. Going with the rear discharge worked out very well. It trims right up to things on both sides without blowing clippings into flower beds, etc. The current combo running at 2000 RPM's with the HST in 3rd range puts a big smile on my face.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the lighter weight Caroni or something similar, and can say I really do like the rear discharge after using three different side discharge decks since 1989 at our place.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I read somewhere that the rear discharge mowers take a little bit less hp to run than the side discharge since you're not pushing all that grass through one little opening... Is that true?

Steve NC

Equipment
Dec 29, 2014
How worn is it?:D:) - can it be "fixed" to the point that it is better?

Its to the point that the patches have patches, I think if I try to keep it and use it for my yard I would have to strip it all the way down and cut everything out and fab a new shell. The metal is getting thin and the blades all tilt to different angles. It has mainly been used to mow areas that appearance didnt matter as long as the grass was cut. Now that the tractor is completely mine and I dont have to deal with other members of the family I have been restoring it and plan to use it to cut my yard ( 5 acres) and hopefully use the tractor for a garden as well later on. Two years later the only things left to rebuild are the steering gear box,replace the seat, and paint.

Steve NC

Equipment
Dec 29, 2014
I stopped by agri supply in Garner today and looked at the Caroni ( Italian mower) and the agmate (china mower). Both are rear discharge and roll on four wheels unlike my old rm59 that only had 2 rear wheels. I like the idea of the deck floating independent of the tractor and following the contour of the ground for a better cut. The lower links on the Caroni do not pivot like the agmate but that would be an easy fix. The agmate doesnt discharge all the way across the back like the Caroni which might lead to grass clumping up out the back. I also looked at a woods prd6000. Its a well built deck but kinda heavy for the 7100 and has a price tag to match. I had hoped to look at the woods heritage series rd60 but the dealer didnt have one in stock. Hoping to look at a land pride and a few others very soon. So far I'm leaning toward the Caroni. Thanks for the replies !

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have the 60" agmate finish mower. If you can keep up with the mowing it does and excellent job. Even in extremely tall grass it does a good job. You do end up with some rows behind you when cutting tall grass. The safety chains on the back tend to smooth out the clumps though. The only issue is the front wheels will contact the the tractor tires in the raised position. The front lift arms need to be about four inches longer. But a trip to the local fab/machine shop with the old arms for width and thickness measurements, and they can make you the longer arms in an hour :D

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
......................The lower links on the Caroni do not pivot like the agmate but that would be an easy fix. ...................
I don't think it needs fixed. You could try it before changing anything. With the 3PH arms floating and a swinging connection at the mower for the toplink it floats and follows the ground nicely.

Steve NC

Equipment
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks Daren, I played with a 6ft agmate that my neighbor has to try a see what would happen. I was surprised at how the well mower cut, he had removed the original discharge chute and chains and made a new one so I was curious as to how it would discharge the clippings.

Steve NC

Equipment
Dec 29, 2014
I don't think it needs fixed. You could try it before changing anything. With the 3PH arms floating and a swinging connection at the mower for the toplink it floats and follows the ground nicely.
you might be right Chim, im just weighing my options and looking at the way each are made

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
I bought an older Kioti 84" rfm for our place. It is the same as a Sicma(Italian). Rear discharge. Got it for $650 on CL. Simple, sturdy, accessible. Was looking at buying new, but couldn't pass the deal.

Kioti model krm 05-84

Your 7100 should hold a 60-72 easy.