Longer Top Link

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I just bought a Betstco flail mower for my LX3310. When I get the mower on the 3pt hitch, I do not have enough length (fully extended) to tip the rear of the mower 15% as required for proper operation. I assume I can get a longer top link for my 3pt. Is this the case? If so, where might I get one?

This is my first tractor so any help is appreciated.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t know much about where you are, but Tractor Supply sells them, of course, there’s the dealers, and maybe Rural King.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I just bought a Betstco flail mower for my LX3310. When I get the mower on the 3pt hitch, I do not have enough length (fully extended) to tip the rear of the mower 15% as required for proper operation. I assume I can get a longer top link for my 3pt. Is this the case? If so, where might I get one?

This is my first tractor so any help is appreciated.
I have a BETSTCO flail myself with virtually the same tractor as yours. I don't think you really should be tipping the rear of the mower. They generally run level, with perhaps only a slightly elevated front.

I believe that perhaps you may have misinterpreted the manual? the 15 degrees that they mention is a suggestion that you don't run it with the PTO shaft being more than 15 degrees from horizontal (up or down). I can assure you that I have on occasion when mowing into ditches or lifting to get up close to a tree, with no ill outcome.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I have a BETSTCO flail myself with virtually the same tractor as yours. I don't think you really should be tipping the rear of the mower. They generally run level, with perhaps only a slightly elevated front.

I believe that perhaps you may have misinterpreted the manual? the 15 degrees that they mention is a suggestion that you don't run it with the PTO shaft being more than 15 degrees from horizontal (up or down). I can assure you that I have on occasion when mowing into ditches or lifting to get up close to a tree, with no ill outcome.
Thanks. I flipped the black 3-pto semi-vertical brackets around (I had them in the orientation of the setup video, but the switch solved the problem.

As for 15 degrees, here is the quote from the manual:

1618622627402.png

So, not sure what to make of that, but when I used it tonight I just set at level-ish.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Hello Vikings fan!

eparts.shop is a good place to find tractor parts. There is always Tractor Supply and the numerous other farm supply retail chains. An online search for tractor top link will show several sources of supply. Looks like you are all set for now.

We had some strange weather in New England yesterday. I was concerned about plowing when I should have been thinking about mowing.

Good luck to you!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks. I flipped the black 3-pto semi-vertical brackets around (I had them in the orientation of the setup video, but the switch solved the problem.

As for 15 degrees, here is the quote from the manual:

View attachment 58341
So, not sure what to make of that, but when I used it tonight I just set at level-ish.
Haha. That's interesting. Below is a screen capture from their manual that I have for my mower: Anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you use common sense.

flail mower instructions Capture.JPG

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I actually prefer some of the aftermarket top links. Took my OEM off pretty quickly in favor of a $30 aftermarket.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I actually prefer some of the aftermarket top links. Took my OEM off pretty quickly in favor of a $30 aftermarket.
Any specific recommendation? What are the upsides?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Any specific recommendation? What are the upsides?
Honestly , I didn't care for the OEM link, and I think it didn't adjust long/short enough for my box blade. Seemed like it was a hassle to adjust too. It's been 8 years, so just going by memory.

I bought a link at a Mahindra dealership, but it's about the same as all the chain places have - - TSC, etc. I think mine little one for a BX with an 11" barrel was $25, and it is a Cat 1 link. You'd want a longer barrel.

I like the bar through the barrel to get a hold of, and also like the more coarse threads. Adjusts quickly and easily.

On a BX, the eyes on the link are often too wide to fit in the tractor bracket. 2 minutes with a bench grinder fixes that. May not be an issue on a larger tractor.

PS - - I use Fluid Film on the TL threads...works great and doesn't attract dirt.

10942209-6EC4-4800-9AFD-BA8B5454799D.jpeg

Last edited: