Log forks for my MX5100

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
I recently purchased a Hudson bandsaw mill and of course the first question is how to transport logs to the mill. I was looking into buying forks as I have a quick attach bucket, but the costs even for aftermarket folks would be well over $1000 cdn by the time they got landed, probably closer to $2000. Way too much. Even those clip on forks would have been expensive. I designed a bolt on set of forks that attache to the side walls of the bucket as the smallest log I would transport would be 8 feet and the wider the spread of the forks the better for the longer stuff. Because its bolted to the wall and the top of the bracket is inside the bucket, no deflection. No problem lifting 3 or 4 12' longs. Take a look, well worth the investment if your in the market for moving some logs. Total cost $180 cdn. Helps to have a great welding shop nearby.

Attachments

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
It's been a busy summer, so haven't had time to get back to this post. The forks work great for lifting and transporting logs and the lumber I've been milling. I did learn however to not treat it with the same leveraging one would use with the bucket alone. I tried to get under the log by pushing the forks under the log. Bent one of them. I removed the unbent fork and managed to bend it back by pushing it into the ground and using the hydraulics of the bucket to bend it back. From now on, it's lay the forks on the ground and roll the log on using a Pee-Vee. For the cost, it does a good job. Just moved a 16 inch diameter 12 foot log with no problem. Don't know of any other way I'd be able to do that without it or some other expensive piece of equipment.

Attachments

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Or you could build something like this. It is a fork frame and a bunch of scraps. There are three log hooks that can fit on the lift.

It is great for loading logs on trucks or trailers.

Attachments

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
Or you could build something like this. It is a fork frame and a bunch of scraps. There are three log hooks that can fit on the lift.

It is great for loading logs on trucks or trailers.
Thanks, we're only limited by our imagination and $$. The folks I made definitely have their limitations, but they've worked well for what I designed them to do. Will be keeping an eye out of other toys and at some point, a serious welding setup will make it all a lot easier. Only have a mig with a capacity of 1/8". I would have tried making the forks myself if I had the where with all.

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
If you have a forklift repair shop in your area, you can sometimes get a carriage and set of forks cheap to free. The carriage is easily modified to attach after dropping the bucket (quick release bucket?). You won't bend a set of real forks with tractor hydraulics.
Made a rig for brother in law a couple years ago.
This is going to be my first "build" for my new MX5200.

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Made forks for my 2012 B2320 from pics on an old post here. After initial pics & some abuse, I had to add a center brace to bucket as pipe would bend if forks (1/4" wall 2×2 sq. tube) were slid closer to center. Cut up a couple of downed spruce for firewood this week & used forks to bring logs to splitter & chunked them up while still held by the bucket/forks. Largest log was just over 16" & 14' - 16' long. Forks worked awesome, slid under logs easily & loader lifted them no problem.

Attachments

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
If you have a forklift repair shop in your area, you can sometimes get a carriage and set of forks cheap to free. The carriage is easily modified to attach after dropping the bucket (quick release bucket?). You won't bend a set of real forks with tractor hydraulics.
Made a rig for brother in law a couple years ago.
This is going to be my first "build" for my new MX5200.
Good luck. I will keep your advice in mind. Something that wouldn't bend would be nice.

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
Made forks for my 2012 B2320 from pics on an old post here. After initial pics & some abuse, I had to add a center brace to bucket as pipe would bend if forks (1/4" wall 2×2 sq. tube) were slid closer to center. Cut up a couple of downed spruce for firewood this week & used forks to bring logs to splitter & chunked them up while still held by the bucket/forks. Largest log was just over 16" & 14' - 16' long. Forks worked awesome, slid under logs easily & loader lifted them no problem.
Interesting. I never thought about making them adjustable widths. I don't really need them to lift pallets or anything other than lumber and mounting them on the sides of the bucket worked better for me as there would be no deflection on the bucket. Cleaver design if you need that adjustability.

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
The forklift carriage does offer adjustable width on the forks. The forks slide on an angle on the top edge of the carriage and each fork has a lock on the flat top section that secures into notches cut in the angle. They deflect a small amount on the bottom bracket but not enough to matter.
Next time you are at a Lowes, Home Depot, lumber yard look at the lifts there.