Locked wheels

Toby3294

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 26, 2018
Poland,Ohio
Recently purchased a L 4701 with front loader and backhoe with quick hitch. It was delivered on 6/18/18. I have since then removed the backhoe and set up a quick hitch with my woods rotary cutter. Keep in mind only 8.5hrs on machine at this point. On 6/26 I took the machine down the road in 4th high range in 2 wheel drive to mow a lot I recently purchased, the tractor locked up after about 1 mile down the road when I reduced the speed. Nearly threw me off the tractor. Tried restarting it and moving it in 4wheel drive, 2wheel drive and high and low range. I even put the tractor in neutral and would still not move. Dealer picked up the tractor and cutter after notifying them I was on the road,stuck. MY question is should I take this tractor back after such an incident. Under warranty but who knows what damage was done and what problems I would have down the road after warranty. When this happened I noticed grinding noise at both the gear shift area and front axle. I am new to this forum and this is my first Kubota. Any comments or suggestions on my recourse would be appreciated. Right now I am pretty sick about it. Thanks

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Recently purchased a L 4701 with front loader and backhoe with quick hitch. It was delivered on 6/18/18. I have since then removed the backhoe and set up a quick hitch with my woods rotary cutter. Keep in mind only 8.5hrs on machine at this point. On 6/26 I took the machine down the road in 4th high range in 2 wheel drive to mow a lot I recently purchased, the tractor locked up after about 1 mile down the road when I reduced the speed. Nearly threw me off the tractor. Tried restarting it and moving it in 4wheel drive, 2wheel drive and high and low range. I even put the tractor in neutral and would still not move. Dealer picked up the tractor and cutter after notifying them I was on the road,stuck. MY question is should I take this tractor back after such an incident. Under warranty but who knows what damage was done and what problems I would have down the road after warranty. When this happened I noticed grinding noise at both the gear shift area and front axle. I am new to this forum and this is my first Kubota. Any comments or suggestions on my recourse would be appreciated. Right now I am pretty sick about it. Thanks
Lucky its a new machine. Sounds like a broken gear in the tranny or diff somewhere. I'd be demanding a brand new machine as replacement, not a rebuild.

Toby3294

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 26, 2018
Poland,Ohio
Dealer states it is related to a frozen bearing in front axle. Ordering a whole new front axle. Im concerned with differential. A frozen bearing would still allow the tractor to move. Dont know if I agree with them on this. I let him know I am leaning towards a new machine

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
Dealer states it is related to a frozen bearing in front axle. Ordering a whole new front axle. Im concerned with differential. A frozen bearing would still allow the tractor to move. Dont know if I agree with them on this. I let him know I am leaning towards a new machine

If the front axle is locked up how would you expect it move???

Sounds like they or you did not check the oil level.

Toby3294

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 26, 2018
Poland,Ohio
Wouldnt think level would be low considering only 8.5hrs on it. I would think if one bearing was bad I would be able to move the tractor somewhat. Thanks

kevinj

Equipment
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
Wouldnt think level would be low considering only 8.5hrs on it. I would think if one bearing was bad I would be able to move the tractor somewhat. Thanks
I have had 5 kubotas in my life and none of them had enough oil in the front axle, they came from 3 different dealers so none of them checked them.

As the operator you should check all fluid levels, wheel bolt torque, etc.

It even says something to that effect in the operators manual.

It could have a defect also and a new axle will make it as new.

I assume that you had it in 2 wheel on the road????

kevinj

Equipment
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
I would go to the dealer & look at the issue. If they dropped the front prop shaft and all is well then that confirms the front end issue.

Would be easy to see if it is low on oil or is a mechanical failure.

The front wheels always turn the gears up front. Hubs do not unlock like pickup.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take a deep breath, I know easier said than done sometimes!
Parts fail, and yes one bearing going out in the front end can stop you dead in your tracks, it's a very samll space in there for spinning parts.
This is why you have a warranty, to fix issues that might arise.

Demanding a new tractor due to a failed part is not very likely to happen, it's fixable and more than likely it has a 99.99% chance that it won't ever give you an issue again!
Yes you would hear the noise in just about any part that was connected to the front end, like the transmission.
The fact that they are getting a whole new front axle tells me that it did some real damage and they aren't taking chances on a just replacing the bearing.

Yes it could have been caused by multiple different issues, like lack of oil, but more likely you just had the unfortunate luck of a failed part.
Kubota's are very very reliable and not know to failures like this.

As far as it having damaged the transmission gears, not very likely as other parts like the propeller shaft couplers should fail first. ;)
I'm sure they will check it out completely when they install a new axle.

Toby3294

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jun 26, 2018
Poland,Ohio
Thanks for quick response.Can you tell me where I can download drive train schematics. Want to understand this more when I talk to them. Cant seem to find schematics

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Like Wolfman said, sometimes a part goes bad on a brand new machine for whatever reason. I once bought a brand new Chevy 1 ton dump. At about 900 miles it started leaking oil out of one of the rear wheel seals. Drove it about 6 more miles and started smoking from there. Called the dealer and they sent a rollback truck to get it. Turns out that the clip that kept the axle nut from loosening had never been put on and the nut backed off ruining the axle. GM replaced the whole complete rear end to make sure the truck was like new again. After that, I never had any problems with it. So mistakes do happen in manufacturing, but as long as Kubota makes the tractor like new again, I would not be in a rush to demand a replacement. It’s how a manufacturer deals with problems that is important.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
This is a brand new machine and now you have nothing for possibly months because somebody at the dealership FUd and didn't put in fluids or tighten bolts etc.

If you are driving down the road and the front end suddenly locks up wouldn't you expect undue stresses and strains on the rest of your machine parts? You don't know the extent of the damage that has been done.

The dealership needs to man up and give you a new replacement machine. You pay them good money for a brand new machine and now you get stuck with a lemon after 8 hours of usage. I'd be livid.

I feel your pain Toby3294.

If they don't give you a new machine I'd be posting the dealership's name online here to warn other potential customers.

kevinj

Equipment
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
Said he was in 2 wheel so how could it have done any damage to the rest of the machine?

They have offered a new front axle unit so he will have a whole new assembly.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Wow, life is a journey with no "do overs". However it happens is what one has to deal with. If one's anxiety level raises over things one anticipates to go wrong on an ongoing basis, one's health becomes at risk.

If one thinks perfection is imperative in everything done, said and acquired life will be miserable. Sometimes one had to fix what isn't right and live with the results. Chill out some.

Where did you get the information indicating months without a tractor?

kevinj

Equipment
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
D2, it seems his dealer has made a fair offer.

I am still wanting to know if it had no lube or was a failure from a bad part or like a missing snap ring.

All the years I have had or rented Kubota I cannot remember ever having a front differential failure & the ones in the rental fleet I worked for were abused.

I have seen many failures at the final drive, seals and broken axles.