Lock it!

steve104c

Equipment
L4600,loader,backhoe w/hydro-thumb, rear blade
Jan 21, 2014
Texas
Is there a device or a way to secure a L46 from theft? I'm getting ready to build a 40'x60' shop and will put her in there, but for now I'm wanting a way to secure her............Steve.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My dad used to say locks are for honest people.
If someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way.
Short of pulling out the starter or some other critical component , i have no other ideas.
North of here, atv thefts are rampant. Owners pull the seat off, the thieves dont want to ride something without a seat. My buddy that lives up there takes a wheel off.
He told me about a quad that got taken, guy got caught when he went back the next day to grab the plow...

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Hard to stop a professional thief other than with a projectile. I try to make it as difficult as possible...locked gate, trailers are locked, etc., but as Tooljunkie says "locks are for honest people". Can you hide it so that people passing by can't see it?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you are going to leave the key in it - get a battery disconnect and place it where it is not easily found. IF they break into a shed, and then have to roll it out......not saying they wont - but it would be a hard job for one person to push a tractor without any mechanical help to get it on a trailer to hijack it. Now if several guys are there and a winch ....well that take some balls and you might need to buy the GPS system.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I put a coupler lock under my clutch so it can't be depressed. I also put the PTO lever in the on position and put two padlocks in the off position. I'm sure someone savvy could bypass them both somehow. However, it will involved some cutting and making noise and it's more things they will have to do in the dark.

Last edited:

09Ram

Equipment
09 Ram 2500, Grand L3830, GST, 6 ft Brushhog, 6 ft Box Blade, 8 ft Disk, Auger
Jun 8, 2013
Tahlequah, Ok
When I am leaving mine at a jobsite overnight I use thew FEL to lift the front tires off of the ground and then I remove them and take them with me...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Don't have a problem with that here! :)
One I live in a very low crime area, or at least people still fear they will get shot!!
And Two, Guard dogs are great, But Guard Wolves are even better! ;)
Has been know to stop most people dead in there tracks and make them do an about face!:D

Now when I was in Phoenix, nothing would stop the Dirty Rotten Rat Ba$$tads! :mad:
So just insure it and the implements for replacement value, as no lock will stop a thief or vandal!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I know several guys that owned newer HD's chained them, locked the garage doors, all kinds of things. But if they want it they are going to get in one way or another. Like Wolfman said insure the snot out of it and don't worry

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
When I am leaving mine at a jobsite overnight I use thew FEL to lift the front tires off of the ground and then I remove them and take them with me...
LROL.

Man, if I were a thief, that would make me so mad, I'd steal you back tires just to get "even"! :D

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Not applicable to diesel engine tractors but on a gasoline tractor, I used to replace the ignition coil to distributor wire with an identical piece of solid wire ignition cable that I pulled the solid conductor out of the wire...

No sparky at the plugs, no run.. This particular tractor had a transmission that is locked up until hydraulic pressure comes up.. so it could not be rolled..

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I always have stuff stored in the shed,which is locked up.Keys are always removed.If and when we go away for a few days.Critical componets are disconnected also I'll park one of my bigger vehicles in front of the big door which is locked up. So now they'll have to drag it out of the way before anything can be pulled out of the shed.I know it may seem extreme but even though stuff is insured why the Flock should I have to go through the hassel of replacing what I already have.With that being said I do know that things can still happen if they want it bad enough.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
One thing that you could do is unplug the driver seat safety switch. The tractor may crank (depending on model) but will not start without the safety switch plugged in. If you really want to go a step further, unplug the PTO safety switch too.