Lock and Load retaining wall system

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why do people insist upon blighting the land by cutting down all the trees on their property, and making it the next mud slide area? :confused:

And for the love of my neck, post pictures the right direction, sideways pics are such a pain to look at! ;)

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Sorry this phone for some reason always posts pictures sideways.

In regards to the trees, there were a bunch of dangerous ones that needed to come out. He opted to remove most at the time which makes me happy too as they will not clog my gutters or kill me. We did leave the stumps for Eason you mentioned

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I lost all my trees :( But it wasn't by choice either :rolleyes: Thinned out all the cruddy ones and dangerous ones on my property. Thought I was done with them, and had the back yard looking really nice.

Then mother nature came along, smacked us with a tornado :eek: Lost 14 trees in a 1/2 hour. Had to take out six more later on do to dieing off from the stress, or in the case of one giant red oak. It apparently got twisted during the storm and actually split in half up the middle :eek: Walking next to it, you could see daylight through the middle for a 30ft stretch :eek:

But I get side tracked here. Flienlow, I like the idea of those retaining wall system. The only issue I see with it is the metal wire that holds the face to the lock. Seems like in a few years, moisture would rust them out, and the face would start separating from the rest.

The only approved method in our neck of the woods along rivers, and lakes are the basket retaining walls.

Here's a link for an example :D

http://www.gabion1.com/gabion_retaining_walls.htm

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sorry this phone for some reason always posts pictures sideways.
Try holding your phone the opposite of what your currently doing. For instance if holding side ways (back/cancel button right, camera left) hold your phone so the button is on the bottom, camera is at top. :D

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I've never seen that before, it doesn't seem like there is that much actual structural material holding back the earth. If it was me I would go for a Versa Lok retaining wall. When installed properly with GEO grid it will hold back some serious amount of earth. I've seen walls as high as 40-50 ft tall. Not a cheap product but labor wise they go together quick once the bottom row is layed.

www.versa-lok.com

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Daren Todd- I help build several very large Gabion walls before. I know them well, but not a big fan of the looks of them. They do work good though.
The wire in the lock and load is “corrosion resistant” for whatever that means. I do get your concern though.

OldEnglish- These Walls can go just as high as Vera-lock if not more (which are not sold in my area.)
Just so you know, my neighbor is a premier wall builder around here with Several large crews and host of equipment I could only dream about. He’s no craigslist flake, and does little “happy home owner work.”
He tells told me when he first saw these they were very skeptical about them, and only built the first due to customer, and engineering demands. He also said that they needed to take one down for some reason and tried to remove from front side of the wall with a 120 hoe. I guess they ended up needing to dig it up from top of wall to get the block out and he was very surprised about that.
He says boulder walls go in faster, but these are cheaper and a better money maker for them.

For me the Pros would be:
1.A strong wall that builds “relatively easy.”
2.You get a lot of wall for the money. Each panel costs about $25. When compare to just one Allen Wall Block at $15 you can see the savings.
3. Panels are heavy but I can do myself.
4. “Less Prone” to settlement. -all walls settle.
Cons:
1. Not as attractive (IMHO) as an Allen Block.
2. Not compatible with steps and such.
3. You need to “set” Every course.
4. No Wall Caps.

gulfmp

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, 54" mmm, BX 5450, Box blade
Dec 23, 2016
Central MA
What is the name of this wall block. What is the size of the block face? I can't find an internet link.